AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Sorry for being daft but how can you see it is in semi on a non-ambi selector switch from the right hand side of the rifle ? :o (at that resolution)

If You zoom this picture as much as it's possible You can see something that might be this characteristic groove on the left side of selector and indeed it seems it's to be pointed at twelve o'clock.

@ Frog and MRF

Even if the selectors not in ambi, it looks like its always in semi on the right side. Right?

(Edit, Meaning its always at 12 o clock)

Thats how all mine are (G&P KWA Marui...)

--Hawaiian

Nope, that is a post that goes through the weapon, it rotates with the selector.

it depends on the AR to see if you have the "selector notch" on the opposite side of the weapon. On civilian colt AR's it doesn't have it. It'll move, but it wont have it. the lower receiver doesn't even have the "auto safe semi" markings. 

on the govt m4a1's, they do.

Not entirely true across the board. Some civilian ARs have auto markings on semi-auto only guns. For example, Spikes Tactical and LWRCi's AR15 guns all have auto markings even though the selector doesn't rotate 180°. Also, the right side selector notch is visible on some civilian AR15s. Just depends on the brand and/or supplier of the selector. For example, my 5.56mm PredatARs both came with indicator notches on the right side of the selector (that is before I promptly changed them to KAC scalloped selectors).

Nope, that is a post that goes through the weapon, it rotates with the selector.

In the real gun it does, sure. In some GBBrs, too. However, all standard V2 AEGs place gears in the middle of that section of the gun; even ambidextrous AEGs have to 'around' (usually to the rear) via a gear arrangement. Hawaiian's pretty clearly talking about airsoft guns unless G&P, KWA and Marui have begun making real AR15s while I wasn't looking.

He's comparing with how it is on real ones with how it is on his AEGs, asking if the real one's right side indicator is always set at semi, like his AEGs.

He is? Why in God's name would a real gun have an 'indicator' that didn't actually indicate anything (being, as you say, 'set at semi' regardless of the fire selector's actual position)?

What have I missed?! Clearly I'm not understanding something here.

Edited by PureSilver

Frogfish and other RS shooters are explaining that on some RS AR15's/M4's, the right side of the selector post sometimes has a notch that allows the shooter and other shooters to visually identify the selector condition of the gun. Most AEGs do not have this as most are not ambi capable. Therefore the majority of AEGs people are familiar with have fake right side selector plates that are often, permanently set to the semi auto position (usually by the AEG manufacturer). This is a limitation of most AEGs and is not indicative of how a RS AR15 operates. hawaiianjuggernaut appears to be inferring that the picture of the shooter with the Mk18 is an airsoft picture with an AEG and therefore not indicative of whether or not the gun is actually set to semi or safe or full auto. However, I'm under the impression it is a pic of a RS operator given its origin was on ARFcom ... which means that if indeed that selector is set to semi and that is clearly a loaded mag, the trigger discipline by the RS OP isn't ideal and perhaps shows a degree of firearms complacency generally not condoned in the SF community, let alone the greater RS community.

* The confusion here started with the origins of that pic ... whether it is RS or airsoft. I was under the impression it's RS and used for reference regarding Mk18's as used by RS operators in the field.

Edited by uscmCorps
  • Like 2

I was beginning to think that wooooosh noise was a low-flying aeroplane, but it turned out to be the subtext rushing over my head. Cheers for the explanation uscmcorps - obviously (leftie shooter and big fan of ambi selectors) I understand how selector levers are (or aren't in the case of my, and most, AEGs) a single piece passing through the receiver. My nickname is Captain Oblivious, which would explain why Hawaiian's suggestion that the photo was of an airsoft rifle totally passed me by... (Hawaiian, are you one of/do you know the people in the photo, or something?)

I had to polish my ramp on the HK45 to prevent it from jamming. Seems to have been an issue for others too, I told them to do the same and it also fixed their issues. I polished my ramp after I noticed the paint chipping away right under the lip, the BB shouldn't even be touching that area so if the paint is chipping there than that means BBs are probably hitting it.

Meant to RE this earlier. 

I have had my KP45 for probably forever and havent had this issue.

My experience has been hit and miss (no pun intended) with KWA... 

Lucky and unlucky at the same time. 

-Hawaiian

* The confusion here started with the origins of that pic ... whether it is RS or airsoft. I was under the impression it's RS and used for reference regarding Mk18's as used by RS operators in the field.

It is indeed RS. We started out talking about preferences seen in Block IIs pics in the wild. The source of the pic was also named and the thread linked a page or so back.

• Like 1

I still want to know if anyone can actually see the indicator notch on the selector in that image at that resolution. I say, no. Anyone can proove it with some sort of enhanced image ?

The whole point is, he has the finger on the trigger, and someone sais "the indicator notch is indicating semi", but can it be confirmed that it is in semi from that pic ? And if it cannot be confirmed, it would make most common sense, one would hope, that it is on safe and he is just resting his finger in the trigger guard or something.