AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

As promised earlier, a pic of two busted Dytac T1 mounts. I've compared them to the real deal KAC T1 mount I have and it's quite obvious why the Dytac ones have broken where they did: 1 - very poor quality steel, 2 - the hole drilled through the pin is way to close to the end of it. One of them has snapped completely, and the one on the mount has cracked already. I might try and put a spot weld across the end of it to save it, but I wouldn't put any money on it doing the job.

Dytac-Busted_zpsf3b1841f.jpg

Edited by QQexDERA

For those of you who are familiar with my guns, I am planing to change the ACS for something else.

The ACS is a nice stock yes, but too big/large. Plus it's heavy. Though I would like to stick with the magpul stock.

I was thinking about a UBR stock, but if you guys have other ideas/suggestions let me know. :)

I. Want. That. Handguard.

But to the point - perhaps it would be nice to put LMT or Magpul STR on it - if You like stocks with cheek slope...

Only thing that bothers me in this build is T1 -  way to small for such a long rail IMHO. Of course in terms of the look, because I know well, that it's absolutely sufficient for airsoft skirmishing. Some long optical tube would much nicer here anyway ;).

The method of choosing an optic should never be based off of pure aesthetics.  If he's using it for CQB-medium range, then his optic choice is perfectly fine.

I guess it's the first time in my life, when I'm forced to quote myself...

Only thing that bothers me in this build is T1 -  way to small for such a long rail IMHO. Of course in terms of the look, because I know well, that it's absolutely sufficient for airsoft skirmishing. Some long optical tube would much nicer here anyway ;).

Of course my comment was focused on aesthetics, and I thought I pointed that out clearly and expressed my understanding for practical side of using optics in airsoft. Apparentely I was wrong, judging from following comments  ;).
But hey, we are all only humans and sometimes we see/hear only what we want to, don't we ? :P (perhaps I'm doing it right now ;) )

After all it's just like TRH wrote - it's about personal preferences. I know guys who use magnifying devices constantly, and find them practical for different reasons (in fact I don't, and I've never used any) so I would be careful with any general statements.

Edited by MRF
  • Like 1

For those of you who are familiar with my guns, I am planing to change the ACS for something else.

The ACS is a nice stock yes, but too big/large. Plus it's heavy. Though I would like to stick with the magpul stock.

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/780874IGP0114.jpg

I was thinking about a UBR stock, but if you guys have other ideas/suggestions let me know. :)

I got 2 UBR stocks. They are really awesome, only con is that running a battery in it is an absolute pain in the butt.

I ended up just removing the part that prevents the lower part of the stock from coming off when adjusted normally for the pure sake of being able to use a buffertube lipo in it. I can PM you pics if you need. Hard to explain in words.

If you do get a UBR, i recommend doing it on a gun with a front wired setup, IE: in the magpul hand guard or the normal M4 hand-guard. Disassembling it to fit the battery in is a pain.

-Hawaiian

Finished :) T1 and index marks added:

Refresh 3.1

KAC URX 3.1

Rainier Arms upper

KAC Micro rear BUIS

Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle

Seekins Precision trigger guard

Blackhawk sling plate

Mil spec buffer

Magpul CTR stock, mil spec

Aimpoint T1 2moa

Aimpoint spacer

Aimpoint QRP

*Prime KAC E3 lower

*VFC KAC Micro front BUIS

*FCC trigger

*Madbull Noveske light weight gas block

*UFC KAC flash hider

*Repro

Has anyone figured out what the 4-slotted rails towards the rear of the URX3.1 are used for?  I thought about it, and researched online, and I haven't found anyone actually use those rails for anything.  I mean I suppose a sling mount, but 4 slots left, bottom and right?  And there's already a QD hole there as well.

Has anyone figured out what the 4-slotted rails towards the rear of the URX3.1 are used for?  I thought about it, and researched online, and I haven't found anyone actually use those rails for anything.  I mean I suppose a sling mount, but 4 slots left, bottom and right?  And there's already a QD hole there as well.

Talking to the KAC reps a couple Shot Shows back, there was a request by MIL to have rails near the rear as some units like to place lasers at the rear of the rail and save real estate up front for other accessories and/or support grip.

• Like 1

Talking to the KAC reps a couple Shot Shows back, there was a request by MIL to have rails near the rear as some units like to place lasers at the rear of the rail and save real estate up front for other accessories and/or support grip.

Would not your front accessories then block your lasers in the back?

I got 2 UBR stocks. They are really awesome, only con is that running a battery in it is an absolute pain in the butt.

I ended up just removing the part that prevents the lower part of the stock from coming off when adjusted normally for the pure sake of being able to use a buffertube lipo in it. I can PM you pics if you need. Hard to explain in words. 

If you do get a UBR, i recommend doing it on a gun with a front wired setup, IE: in the magpul hand guard or the normal M4 hand-guard. Disassembling it to fit the battery in is a pain. 

-Hawaiian

UBR is a nice choice but considering what Ivan wrote I see some major problem here - it's even heavier than ACS. At least its CM version I had for a while.

Edited by MRF

UBR is a nice choice but considering what Ivan wrote I see some major problem here - it's even heavier than ACS. At least its CM version I had for a while.

Ehhh. I have the PTS and the ACM version. They arent really THAAT heavy.

There is pretty much no difference quality wise between ACM and PTS too; one of the strange things I have noticed. Only difference between the fakes and the real PTS ones is how they spell COLORADO on the side. Fakes are misspelled "COORADO" Real PTS ones, obviously, are spelled correctly.

So if you get ACM or actual PTS, they are going to be the same weight.

I dont have an ACS stock, but I've been planning on getting one eventally for my KWA.

I can keep you posted on weight difference. 

Keep in mind that the UBR has its own buffertube setup, the ACS just slides on normally. 

-Hawaiian 

20130212_120645.jpg

After building alot of PTW platforms, I wanted to build a GBBR platform. I opted to use a WE Open Bolt M4 platform as a PRIME kit was avail, since I done PTWs for quite a while, its known as the PRIME lowers were a gold standard for the PTW realm as are the NOVA kits for the TM pistols. Its RS Accessorized UNLESS the part states "replica" or "Style"

Specs:
WE OB M4
PRIME Colt Set
RS Larue Aimpoint Micro mount
RS Aimpoint H1
RS Magpul BUIS
TSC PRI style Charging Handle
TSC Type 1 Anti Rotation pins
TSC Ambi Selector
RS GEISSELE SMR Mk1 10 inch
FCC SF Style MB556k Hider
WE Steel CQBR outer barrel and steel Extension
TROY Low-pro gas block
RS Gear Sector Hand Stop
RS Magpul ASAP
RS Magpul CTR Milspec
RS BCM Milspec Buffer Tube/castle nut
RS Tango Down Grip
SF MIni scout style light w/ gear sector style mount

• Like 5

After building alot of PTW platforms, I wanted to build a GBBR platform. I opted to use a WE Open Bolt M4 platform as a PRIME kit was avail, since I done PTWs for quite a while, its known as the PRIME lowers were a gold standard for the PTW realm as are the NOVA kits for the TM pistols. Its RS Accessorized UNLESS the part states "replica" or "Style"

Specs:

WE OB M4

PRIME Colt Set

RS Larue Aimpoint Micro mount

RS Aimpoint H1

RS Magpul BUIS

TSC PRI style Charging Handle

TSC Type 1 Anti Rotation pins

TSC Ambi Selector

RS GEISSELE SMR Mk1 10 inch

FCC SF Style MB556k Hider

WE Steel CQBR outer barrel and steel Extension

TROY Low-pro gas block

RS Gear Sector Hand Stop

RS Magpul ASAP

RS Magpul CTR Milspec

RS BCM Milspec Buffer Tube/castle nut

RS Tango Down Grip

SF MIni scout style light w/ gear sector style mount

Really digging that Geissele Rail :)

Wait till you guys see the new Centurian Arms 5.56 Slick rail and its attachments. One of the nicest new rails I've seen in a while. Got to check it out first hand at Shot Show.

Just looked up some pics of it, really liking it. I'm a huge fan of built in QD points on rail systems. What lengths is it going to be released in?