AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Except the *fruitcage* blocked gas tube... The SWS just had an easily removable pin, there's no way in hell I'm getting a gas block/tube in the VTAC rail :(

Could a Dremel or drill solve the problem? I've had two Madbull rails that were blocked and needed a metal removal to fit the gas tube into place.

Could a Dremel or drill solve the problem? I've had two Madbull rails that were blocked and needed a metal removal to fit the gas tube into place.

Nope - because problem is not lack of some small hole, as in Madbull's RIS II series - in case of TROY TRX and VTAC line, entire channel for gas tube is missing. I don't believe dremel is solution here - some serious machining is needed here IMHO.

Edited by MRF

Nope - because problem is not lack of some small hole, as in Madbull's RIS II series - in case of TROY TRX and VTAC line, entire channel for gas tube is missing. I don't believe dremel is solution here - some serious machining is needed here IMHO.

Oh, wow. Thanks for correcting my statement. Good luck to those looking to install those hand guards.

LOL. Yes, it is front heavy. I put everything together out of boredom. Most likely not going to run the gun in this configuration. The switch is for the light and laser unit.

Perhaps if you put the PEQ further back and put the handstop a couple of cm further back so your arm needs to be less stretched to grab the rail that could help. Really loving the magpul carbine setup.

Also, a question, did that handstop come with the URX?

You could drill it out, but it'd be a hell of a job and you'd need a 9" long drill bit - As the rail isn't a two piece, it'd be a nightmare. Basically, the entire section where the gas tube would sit is just solid metal.

Although I've stopped to be Magpul lower receiver enthusiast recently ;) (perhaps I have mine long enough ;) ), I like Geissele rails more and more. They look like piece of some armor...
Nice rig,  WTF?Shane :).

Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in getting threads for their airsoft upper receiver recut for RS rails/barrel nuts, IM me for details. I've done a lot of them over the years (more than 30 uppers by my last count), including two of WTF?Shane's recently. Turnaround time is fast (usually ships back out within 48 hours) and after recutting the threads are still compatible with TM/airsoft spec rails/barrel nuts.  :)

• Like 3

Yep dremel or drill and drill through the blocked hole, very simple and takes 5 min tops. If its the Chanel itself then you could still use a thin dremel bit and grind out enough to fit the tube. Still won't take long as its just aluminum

Edited by -wigs-

The problem is that while some of the Madbull rails have just the back portion of the channel blocked off either via a pin or material, more recent rails now have that entire length of rail unmachined from front to rear. So that means you'll have to cut anywhere from 7" to 14"+ of channel to accommodate a gas tube.

Slight update on one of mine.

Bought a KeyMod RIS panel and an RVG...positioned for my T-Rex arms :)

49d9973cfbe8b421c0bdc96330806b4e_zpsbe2e

...first thing I thought after looking at this picture was "Nice looking hi-fi speaker column..." ;)

• Like 2