AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Unfortunately I can't do anything more than this with deflector - it's way to differently molded into upper. I wouldn't go further with this, even with dremel.
So I altered it a bit to be looking more like the real one.
DSC_0807_zpsb240d581.jpg

Since I can't afford some more expensive stuff or RS parts, I try to do as much as I can to make AEG's looking closest to real steel... :)

Edited by MRF
  • Like 2

Unfortunately I can't do anything more than this with deflector - it's way to differently molded into upper. I wouldn't go further with this, even with dremel.

Since I can't afford some more expensive stuff or RS parts, I try to do as much as I can to make AEG's looking closest to real steel... :)

Now you just need to find a 12" handguard. :P

Now you just need to find a 12" handguard. :P

Aww, I guess U have one for sale ? :P:D

Yeah, You're right. I saw some long time absent King Arms receivers in stock on shootercbgear.com today, so who knows - perhaps KA tries to bring back some stuff of their old offer through the back doors.

Otherwise only thing I can count on is a miracle.

Aww, I guess U have one for sale ? :P:D

Yeah, You're right. I saw some long time absent King Arms receivers in stock on shootercbgear.com today, so who knows - perhaps KA tries to bring back some stuff of their old offer through the back doors.

Otherwise only thing I can count on is a miracle.

It's probably from that fire sale that was mentioned in the UN Raid thread :P  There were TONS of receivers on sale back then from HKD 300 (Typical Colt receivers, NAVY SEAL markings, etc.  Maybe even LaRue ones too; didn't notice) to HKD 399 (VLTOR MUR).

This is as close as I could get it.  With some magic steel/jb weld. LOL.  Didn't do the lower though.

272223_10151003619901104_440430118_o.jpg

• Like 2
my latest project:

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

G&P M4 Magpul Lower* & Vltor MUR Upper* /w Magpul M93 Stock*

KAC URX 3 13.5 inch Rail* /w KAC Flash Hider*, UFC Hand Stopper* /w Sling Swivel & Surefire Rapid Transition Sights*

G&P MicroT1 & G&P DBAL Dual Illuminator

photoeu.jpg

My AR-15 arsenal

From left to right:

Custom Built M4-A1. No accessories, just a Pure M4-A1. 

Inokatsu 2009 receivers.

Inokatsu 14.5" steel outer barrel

Viper Hop Up and Inokatsu Barrel Extension

Mix of Viper/LCT/Ino/RA-Tech Steel internals

Prometheus 6.03mm AEG Inner Barrel

RS Colt N1 Stock

RS Colt Carry Handle

RS Colt USGI A2 Flash Hider

RS Colt A2 Pistol Grip

RS Colt Hand Guard

RS Colt Pivot and Takedown Pins + Springs and Detent

RS Colt Trigger Guard & Roll Pin

RS BCM Forward Assist

Inokatsu 2011 Custom

Inokatsu Internals (Iron Airsoft Catch)

G&P 150% Hammer Spring.

Viper Hop Up and Bucking

Prime Steel Barrel Extension (Modified)

Prometheus 6.03mm AEG Inner Barrel

Matrix PEQ 15

RS USGI A2 Flash Hider

RS LMT Sopmod Gen 2 stock

RS EOTech 553 w/ ARMS Mount

RS Surefire m952 w/IR Filter

RS KAC Fore grip

RS Charging handle latch (original broke off)

RS Magpul MBUS

RS Magpul ASAP & MS2

RS Buffer Spring & Buffer

RS Side sling mount

RS Colt Delta Ring Assembly

Viper 2012 MK18 MOD 0

Viper Factory MK18 MOD 0

Viper long tail selector with reverse indicator

G&P PEQ 2 Laser

Viper Full Travel Bolt w/ Low Velocity Nozzle

Inokatsu KAC style flash hider

RS LMT Sopmod Gen 1 Stock

RS Dust Cover

RS Surefire M952 w/ IR Filter

RS CompM2 w/ Kill Flash and Front/Rear Covers (Had to purchase covers separately)

RS LMT BUIS

RS CQD Rear Sling Mount.

I think I enjoy my Original M4A1 the most. Made that with scrap parts laying around & the combo of RS stuff!

Edited by Finbarqs
  • Like 1

Custom Built M4-A1. No accessories, just a Pure M4-A1. [...]

RS Colt N1 Stock

RS Colt Carry Handle

RS Colt USGI A2 Flash Hider

RS Colt A2 Pistol Grip

RS Colt Hand Guard

RS Colt Pivot and Takedown Pins + Springs and Detent

RS Colt Trigger Guard & Roll Pin

RS BCM Forward Assist

Nice - I'm using similar parts on my M4A1 SOPMOD. Do you mind me asking which bolt/nozzle you're using, and whether you had to adapt it for use with the Viper hop-up? Before accessories, my parts list so far reads;

• 2009 Inokatsu lower receiver and FCG, except Iron Airsoft sear (more realistic than the Inokatsu original), Viper hammer spring (stronger and more realistic than the Inokatsu original) and Prime selector w/ RS KAC full-length ambidextrous right-side fire selector lever and Colt fire-control selector detent and spring.
  • Inokatsu 14" outer barrel w/FSB
  • Inokatsu buffer spring.
  • Viper hop-up assembly w/ Prometheus 363mm EG 6.03 tightbore and unknown barrel extension depending upon compatibility with upper receiver and bolt/nozzle.
  • Inokatsu 2010 SuperBolt (for the moment), possible upgrade to PRIME steel bolt carrier, with unknown NPAS system

More RS:

• Colt Cerro Forge-marked flat-top upper receiver with M4 cuts and marking, including ejection port cover and forward assist, with Colt charging handle, Colt M4 delta ring assembly, Colt M4 .625 handguard cap with M203 cuts, Colt carbine-length gas-tube, gas-tube roll pin and 2x sight taper pins, and Colt forward sling swivel w/ rivet.
  • Knight's Armament Company RAS, possible upgrade to Knight's Armament Company UK SAS lower rail with clamp.
  • Colt 6-position receiver extension w/ castle nut and receiver end plate, Colt carbine (not H2) buffer and Colt 4th generation collapsible stock.
  • Colt A2 pistol grip w/ screw and lock washer, Colt trigger guard w/ roll pin and pivot pin and Colt takedown pin and receiver pivot pin w/ detent and spring.

Do you know if the Colt magazine latch/release assembly, button and spring will fit the Inokatsu's lower receiver?

Edited by PureSilver

my latest project:

G&P M4 Magpul Lower* & Vltor MUR Upper* /w Magpul M93 Stock*
KAC URX 3 13.5 inch Rail* /w KAC Flash Hider*, UFC Hand Stopper* /w Sling Swivel & Surefire Rapid Transition Sights*
G&P MicroT1 & G&P DBAL Dual Illuminator

How did you mount the M93 without mounting hardware?

More RS:

Do you know if the Colt magazine latch/release assembly, button and spring will fit the Inokatsu's lower receiver?

Just an FYI,  I think the Colt SOPMOD barrel is 0.750"? A 0.625 cap might not fit. Also, be careful of people that claim to sell genuine Colt 6 position tubes. As far as I know, Colt has only made 2 and 4 hole tubes. You can check out the Colt M4 spec sheet on their web site - I suppose it's possible that they never updated it.

The new batch of PRIME steel bolt carriers works fantastic inside Colt uppers (I'm using an old "VP" proof marked upper...I think Colt stopped doing this), even better than the Inno Super Bolts. But I can't really quantify it and it's my own personal preference...it just seems to cycle much better for me. I missed out on the first batch so I'm not sure what the differences are.

I did have the first Ino M4 and the entire Colt magazine catch assembly is a drop in fit. However, if I recall, it didn't hold certain magazines...I think Pro-Win and WA magazines were ok. Others would click in place, but they would fall out. I think the GHK magazines did this? I might have the brands mixed up; I'm sorry I just don't remember exactly which ones fell out.

Hope this helps.

Sorry I can't like your post - I appear to have exhausted today's supply of gratitude according to the form.

Just an FYI,  I think the Colt SOPMOD barrel is 0.750"? A 0.625 cap might not fit. Also, be careful of people that claim to sell genuine Colt 6 position tubes. As far as I know, Colt has only made 2 and 4 hole tubes.

Hmm. I can't see a .750 cap on Brownells' site (which is my go-to for Colt schematics and parts numbers) but I'll double check the next time I have the rifle in front of me. As to the stock tube you're absolutely right, it should be the four-position receiver extension (Colt part number 160-307-105WB).

The new batch of PRIME steel bolt carriers works fantastic inside Colt uppers (I'm using an old "VP" proof marked upper...I think Colt stopped doing this), even better than the Inno Super Bolts. But I can't really quantify it and it's my own personal preference...it just seems to cycle much better for me. I missed out on the first batch so I'm not sure what the differences are. [...] I did have the first Ino M4 and the entire Colt magazine catch assembly is a drop in fit. However, if I recall, it didn't hold certain magazines...I think Pro-Win and WA magazines were ok.

Well, I'm told that the 2010 SuperBolts are prone to fracture and I like PRIME's workmanship the best - so I'll have to see if I can dig out one of the new batch (would you mind me asking where you got yours?) and see how I get on. Thanks for letting me know about the magazine catch, that's awesome - I use ProWins so that's encouraging.

As to your upper, the Verified Proof mark (in an inverted triangle?) is very old proof mark - most Colts bearing that are 1902s, 1911s and 1917s, not AR-15s! Mine sports the Cerro Forge keyhole, the Colt 'C' (not enclosed), and (being an A3-M4) should have 'M4' stamped over the gas port though I haven't checked that yet.

Edited by PureSilver

Nice - I'm using similar parts on my M4A1 SOPMOD. Do you mind me asking which bolt/nozzle you're using, and whether you had to adapt it for use with the Viper hop-up? Before accessories, my parts list so far reads;

• 2009 Inokatsu lower receiver and FCG, except Iron Airsoft sear (more realistic than the Inokatsu original), Viper hammer spring (stronger and more realistic than the Inokatsu original) and Prime selector w/ RS KAC full-length ambidextrous right-side fire selector lever and Colt fire-control selector detent and spring.
  • Inokatsu 14" outer barrel w/FSB
  • Inokatsu buffer spring.
  • Viper hop-up assembly w/ Prometheus 363mm EG 6.03 tightbore and unknown barrel extension depending upon compatibility with upper receiver and bolt/nozzle.
  • Inokatsu 2010 SuperBolt (for the moment), possible upgrade to PRIME steel bolt carrier, with unknown NPAS system

More RS:

• Colt Cerro Forge-marked flat-top upper receiver with M4 cuts and marking, including ejection port cover and forward assist, with Colt charging handle, Colt M4 delta ring assembly, Colt M4 .625 handguard cap with M203 cuts, Colt carbine-length gas-tube, gas-tube roll pin and 2x sight taper pins, and Colt forward sling swivel w/ rivet.
  • Knight's Armament Company RAS, possible upgrade to Knight's Armament Company UK SAS lower rail with clamp.
  • Colt 6-position receiver extension w/ castle nut and receiver end plate, Colt carbine (not H2) buffer and Colt 4th generation collapsible stock.
  • Colt A2 pistol grip w/ screw and lock washer, Colt trigger guard w/ roll pin and pivot pin and Colt takedown pin and receiver pivot pin w/ detent and spring.

Colt Mag catch will work. But nothing will lock back. So I'd just stuck with inokatsu/viper catches. Keep in mind, that isn't even touching my crazy project just yet... Do not forget: You MUST modify the charging handle in order for it to work!. I'm using the RA-Tech steel carrier and aluminum nozzle. I tried putting my prime steel carrier with G&P negative pressure nozzle, but I would need to shave EVEN MORE off the viper hop up. My RA-Tech Nozzle does NOT fit the prime carrier.

I'm scared to buy the viper hammer, because it's so different. If you purchase the viper hammer, that means you must've purchased the trigger too? 

Edited by Finbarqs

Ivan, I have to ask - how many rifles have you got?

Colt Mag catch will work. But nothing will lock back. So I'd just stuck with inokatsu/viper catches. [....] I'm using the RA-Tech steel carrier and aluminum nozzle. I tried putting my prime steel carrier with G&P negative pressure nozzle, but I would need to shave EVEN MORE off the viper hop up. My RA-Tech Nozzle does NOT fit the prime carrier. [...] I'm scared to buy the viper hammer, because it's so different. If you purchase the viper hammer, that means you must've purchased the trigger too?

Thanks for the reply! Do you know why the magazine catch stops the bolt locking back? I can't see the relationship between the two. I was prepared for nozzles not fitting the Viper hop-up, but nozzles not fitting the carrier? That's a new one on me. I'm not planning on switching to the Viper hammer, just the hammer spring, which if I remember correctly is stronger than the original and more realistic. Is the Viper hammer more realistic than the Inokatsu original?

RS buffer spring? Isn't that too strong for a GBB?

Yep, that's why I'm sticking with the Inokatsu original (which is already plenty hard enough).

Ivan, I have to ask - how many rifles have you got?

Thanks for the reply! Do you know why the magazine catch stops the bolt locking back? I can't see the relationship between the two. I was prepared for nozzles not fitting the Viper hop-up, but nozzles not fitting the carrier? That's a new one on me. I'm not planning on switching to the Viper hammer, just the hammer spring, which if I remember correctly is stronger than the original and more realistic. Is the Viper hammer more realistic than the Inokatsu original?

Yep, that's why I'm sticking with the Inokatsu original (which is already plenty hard enough).

On GHK CO2 magazines, the RS Buffer & Spring runs fine. Pretty awesome :)

Hmm. I can't see a .750 cap on Brownells' site (which is my go-to for Colt schematics and parts numbers) but I'll double check the next time I have the rifle in front of me.

As to your upper, the Verified Proof mark (in an inverted triangle?) is very old proof mark - most Colts bearing that are 1902s, 1911s and 1917s, not AR-15s! Mine sports the Cerro Forge keyhole, the Colt 'C' (not enclosed), and (being an A3-M4) should have 'M4' stamped over the gas port though I haven't checked that yet.

Strange...0.750 caps should be fairly common?

I have to stress again that I'm far from an M4/M16 expert, but the few Colt rifles I have owned has proof marks. My SP1 has the standard "VP" and a "C" in a square box...it's tough to photograph on my camera, but if you Google it, I'm sure you can see several examples.

This is my Colt M4 upper I use on my Mk12 Mod1...I have no idea if it's mil, commercial, or LE. It's square forged, key hole marked, manufacturer's feed ramps, etc...the forge markings are not engraved, but the proof and "M4" are and probably added later in the manufacturing process. The proof is also different from my SP1...I can't seem to find the square box "C". I put some powder over the proof and M4 markings so it would photograph a bit clearer:

DSCF0311_zps7bac4d9f.jpg

The VP shows up top right of the ejection port. The "M4" is a bit harder to see, but it's above the proof.

• Like 1

Some small updates:

Give - me - this (Larue 12.0) - rail :P.

OK. Jokes aside - to the point.

Did I mention I FRACKING LOVE Cerakote ?! :D This it's my Larue lower after some DIY Cerakote treatment. Those paints are simply amazing and the comfort of working with them exceeds all scale modeling paints I've ever worked with. And please note that I paint them with typical 0.2mm nozzle modeling airbrush, so basically it's more difficult to aply than with 0,5 nozzle or wider paint gun...

8844004681_e64af60db9_b.jpg

8844049067_e8bca8e86b_b.jpg

Edit: My sincere advise is: if You can't have something anodized, get it cerakoted ;).

Edited by MRF
  • Like 4