AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

I fell on it running at a full sprint at LC.  Ate it real hard, then noticed the stock wasn't attached anymore.  Still made it to cover, at which point I noticed the wires were also stripped and, to top it all off, the stock lipo was on fire.  Another reason to wear gloves during a game!

Anyway, I guess it's better that the gun broke than my collarbone (which was still an interesting color for the next week or so).  Thanks for the tips, I'll try VFC directly.

Yeah the falling on the ground is not a way I try and choose to travel. Im definatly a more on my feet kinda guy.

I had (what Im assuming) was a clone magpul ms2 3 point sling and just randomly in the middle of a game it fell to pieces. Luckly I managed to catch my gun. Upon the second time of this happening I decided that this particular sling wasnt for me so I binned it off. My m4 being G&P would have probably exploded having hit the floor! Its been into the shop so many times I figured I didnt fancy having to leave it behind for  another month.

Anyways without boring you, I hope you can sort of your gun - keep us updated.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Will do.  Hopefully I can reach them.  I've tried reaching out to Jag Precision already and got no response.

I will beg to disagree, though – most of my guns (including that new carbine up there) are G&P and they've held up to a hell of a lot of abuse.  My Mk46 has practically served as a high-speed ski pole while more or less slaloming downhill through loose soil.  Good ol' steel.  (of course, can't say the same for the plastic box mag, which is broken and useless now).

I guess it would be wrong of me to give the impression that externally my g&p has had any problems (it looks great plus Ive put magpul furniture on it) I did have a few teething issues to get it skirmishing to a decend level. Needed a new spring, piston and hop and then I cracked the tappit plate with endless jams on full-auto. It is a beast however.

From the looks of the picture you uploaded Id  say you were probably really unlucky with how you fell on it. There seems to be a very short distance between the rear body pin and the top of the lower reciever (about 5-7ml), also the attachment for your sling is right next to this on the otherside and assuming this is the only point where your gun is held means the barrel was hanging down. Barrel hits ground, you hit the deck and lever of the stock.

Its the oldest one in the book ;)

Edited by leothelion

Lol. Did a bit of a double-take upon viewing the last page, seeing as my current carbine is this:

727-small_zps8a414ff0.jpg

(craptastic pic for quick illustrative purposes only)

Does feel quite solid after I tightened up the buffer tube connection with some electrical tape, though I haven't gotten the chance to use it in a game yet, unfortunately.

Edit: Also, how I wish they made the Rainier UltraMatch uppers for AEGs. No particular utilitarian reason, I just like the way they look.

Edited by k30dxedle
  • Like 1

Yes, the buffer tube was loose on mine too upon delivery.  I don't know why this is.  Same was true of my G&P Mk46.  Maybe there's some arcane reason to ship them with loose buffer tubes?  Anyway, 30 seconds with an AR tool and everything is rock solid.

Quick question, though: technically speaking, shouldn't a proper M653 have an A1 pistol grip?  I'm not certain on this but I think that's how it was.  I may just do it anyway because I hate the *fruitcage* uncomfy A2 grip wherever it appears.

I'm not sure if yours is exactly the same configuration as mine, but from what I can gather on AR-15.com and the like, what I have is actually closest to a Colt 727 (wrong profile barrel, though). The 653 did have an A1 pistol grip, though, and I share your sentiments entirely on the A2 grip. I really don't feel like messing with motor height again, though, so I might just file down the front nub eventually.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if yours is exactly the same configuration as mine, but from what I can gather on AR-15.com and the like, what I have is actually closest to a Colt 727 (wrong profile barrel, though). The 653 did have an A1 pistol grip, though, and I share your sentiments entirely on the A2 grip.

Yep, yours has the right receivers (full-fence lower and A2 upper), furniture (short ribbed handguards, handguard cap with M203 cutouts, tapered delta ring, A2 pistol grip and 3rd generation collapsible stock), FSB (A2-style with bayonet lug) and flash hider (A2) for the M727 'Abu Dhabi carbine' - but, like you said, you've got the wrong barrel (should be 14.5" Government profile with M203 step).

To be an M635 'M16A1 Carbine' you'd need to change the upper receiver (should be A1, not A2), the pistol grip and stock (should be A1, not A2, and 2nd, not 3rd generation collapsible respectively) and the flash hider (should be A1, not A2). It's definitely closer to an M727.

M635 'M16A1 Carbine'

I think you mean 653.  Specifically RO653.  No such thing as M653, M727, M723, etc.  They're not M-designated, even though there are NSNs for parts, uppers and whole rifles.

The barrel profile does look a bit strange.  It looks like a very heavy profile.  I agree that apart from that, it's pretty close to an RO727.  There are rumours of a very small production run of pencil profiled 727s early on, but I've never seen them.  Contrast that with the 723, where plenty of them have pencil profiles and a pretty large number have the slightly odd pre-M4 profile with the M203 step down.

653s were certainly mostly built with A1 bird cages, but A2s were available for a good portion of the production run, and the guns were in use for a fairly long time, so a 653 with an A2 flash hider isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

I think you mean 653.  Specifically RO653.  No such thing as M653, M727, M723, etc.  They're not M-designated, even though there are NSNs for parts, uppers and whole rifles.

I do mean 653, not 635 (transposition - sorry!) but I also mean M - M for Model in Colt's designation for the rifle, not the US military's. RO is a newer designation that didn't exist when the Model 653 debuted:

Colt’s systems have generally followed the times and though its model numbers originally came without prefixes, with the need to separate weapons made for civilian consumption from those made for military and law enforcement use, military models became prefixed with the code “RO.” For the purposes [therein] the RO nomenclature is obviated as this terminology did not exist in all cases[.]

The 653 arrived in the early 1970s, several decades (as far as I can tell) before the RO designation did.

The 653 was the R653 up to the adoption of the RO series of designations, which happened in the 1980s, 1986-87 IIRC.  It was poor form of me to refer to it as RO653, as the vast majority were certainly produced as R653.  Still, there is no such thing as M653, and I'd be very leery to see an M-series designator applied to anything that hasn't been issued one.

No such thing as M653, M727, M723, etc.  They're not M-designated...

I'm curious to know where you got this information? There's plenty of Colt documentation from the era, especially in their advertisements for periodicals, manuals, etc., that refer to their line of weapons as Model 653, Model 723, Model 733, etc. They were never type classified by the US military and thus never Property marked, but Colt definitely referred to their 700 and some 600 series weapons with a "Model" and number.

My WA based 653:

Colt65303.jpg

Parts of the upper is actually not correct for a 70's Colt. I initially was making a Vietnam era M16A1 so the upper is a Colt from about 1968, prior to the 653 (it has no forge marks, proofed, black receiver lugs and the front is counter bored which I was told Colt stopped doing by the 70's. The rear sight wheel also uses the 60's era markings.). My front sight base is also 60's Vietnam era (no forge marks, no flashing, no drain hole) and not really correct for a 653.

• Like 4

I'm curious to know where you got this information? There's plenty of Colt documentation from the era, especially in their advertisements for periodicals, manuals, etc., that refer to their line of weapons as Model 653, Model 723, Model 733, etc. They were never type classified by the US military and thus never Property marked, but Colt definitely referred to their 700 and some 600 series weapons with a "Model" and number.

That's an awesome gun you've put together.  Aimpoint 3000? 

You're quite right that Colt did refer to them as Model 653, Model 727 and so on, but not M653, which implies type designation. 

Yeah it's pretty awesome.  First tubular forend I've fitted to a gun, bit of a an effort but well worth the time taken to get all the tools together.

I did make proper vice blocks out of Polymorph for doing most of the work on the upper (getting the stock barrel nut off primarily), just didn't photograph them last night for some reason.