AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

Here's my LM4. It's as finished as I can get it for now! All I need is an ambi PTS fire selector but I can't for the life of me find one in stock! I've got a G&P DBAL en route. If I could find a heavy weight outer barrel for it I would have it in a heartbeat! 

Apologies for the crappy phone picture, my camera decided to take a swim.

IMG_1967.jpg

Edited by DeltaZero
  • Like 4
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Yeah unfortunately they're going to be if not already discontinued, though AirsoftGI and a few other shops have them in stock.

Yup, I heard about the discontinuation! It's such a shame! Unfortunately it's not exactly the cheapest option to import from the US if I can even find somewhere that'll ship to the UK, I know AirsoftGI won't! :(  Might have to settle with the Crusader Ambi Selector, which would be a nice alternative from Magpul although I don't think its as good a design ergonomically! 

That pistol grip however, is by far THE best pistol grip I have ever bought and I have you to thank for that! Shame I had to get a clone, but even still, its cracking, so so comfortable! 

Edited by DeltaZero

That pistol grip however, is by far THE best pistol grip I have ever bought and I have you to thank for that! Shame I had to get a clone, but even still, its cracking, so so comfortable! 

I haven't had an opportunity to hold, but indeed those BCM grips looks comfortable for a wrist. Specially when someone holds replica close to the body with stock retracted, as I do.

But, unfortunately, no GBB in collection to buy and mount one.

I haven't had an opportunity to hold, but indeed those BCM grips looks comfortable for a wrist. Specially when someone holds replica close to the body with stock retracted, as I do.

I really noticed how natural that reduced grip angle is while going back and forth from an HK Battlegrip to an A1, especially if you spend a lot of time at low ready.  Unfortunately it's way too narrow at the top for me--if I take a firm grip the trigger nests in my second finger joint.  I've got a BCM Mod 3 (the fatter one) grip on the way, and the MOE-K2 also looks promising.  Then there's this thing.  As for motor grips, I think the Stark and certain Ergo grips have reduced sweep; not sure about the airsoft versions though.  

Looking to hold of one of those on hand, maybe MOE K2, and HK Battle Grip Variant 1 or 2....... oh wait, I WANT them all, not just hold :P

IMG-20131212-WA0002_zps2cb03bb0.jpg

WIP.  Barrel is too long; I need to swap the 7" extension into it so that it'll be somewhat flush with the NSR9.

Got the silver barrel set with the 3,5,7 inch extensions and the AEG and WA GBBR receiver adapters because I'll be swapping in a pistol length gas block + tube assembly to build a 300BLK gun.

Pretty much trying to replicate The Johnny Rifle (the one John Noveske poses with in the pics you can find on Google) but in Black and running an SR7 suppressor rather than a SDN-6 because no one makes a replica of it :(.  Also trying to get a NF NXS scope replica for the gun on a KAC mount rather than the AD mount + S&B Short Dot because...again, no one makes a replica of either the scope or the mount.  Initially I decided to run a LaRue SPR mount but I don't want to damage the finishing with the QD locking system the LaRue uses.

For those who are considering thin rails and can't decide between the URX4 and NSR that's out in the airsoft replica market right now....here's the difference in thickness (the flash makes the NSR look grey; but it's really the same black as the Noveske receiver it's on):

20131213_141242_zps493d8a87.jpg

20131213_141258_zpsc01ba370.jpg

The difference is..........not a lot :P  I prefer the URX4 though because it's cheaper and the Iron Airsoft (and with a tiny exception the DYTAC) URX4 clone is pretty much true to the real URX4 bar the QD sockets on the final production version and it's cheaper than the NSR.  Though if you already have a Noveske/KAC receiver I would think you'd want to stick with their respective brand rails as I have done because it just feels right XD

The Madbull NSR doesn't have KEYMOD at the bottom like the real one...if you're not planning on attaching KEYMOD panels to the bottom of the replica NSR; then that's fine; but if you say want to attach a VFG/AFG then it's annoying.  Madbull does have a panel to fit for the bottom of their NSR but you're pretty limited to that rail piece unless an MOE or DYTAC Invader series rail pieces fit.

Edited by intinerious

From reviews on the Google machine it seems like they had to do it because Noveske required them to.

Which is *fruitcage* ridiculous given that they have a pin in place to prevent a gas tube from going into the receiver anyway.  But it was either spending ~100 USD on the MB rail or ~300 USD trying to get someone to get me a real one from the US. 

One good thing about this (only because we give MB such a low bar in quality) is that the top rail seems to be on-spec (comparing it with the G&P receiver, and assuming G&P is on-spec).  Not visibly thicker or higher than the G&P receiver rails.

The Madbull NSR doesn't have KEYMOD at the bottom like the real one...if you're not planning on attaching KEYMOD panels to the bottom of the replica NSR; then that's fine; but if you say want to attach a VFG/AFG then it's annoying.  Madbull does have a panel to fit for the bottom of their NSR but you're pretty limited to that rail piece unless an MOE or DYTAC Invader series rail pieces fit.

I'll be honest I didn't actually notice the lack of key mod on the bottom! The panel that fits to the keymod literally just screws into the holes on the bottom if you need it. And you can put a MOE VFG directly onto the rail as you would a MOE foregrip. Yes it's not 100% true to the real steel which I guess it most important in the long run but it's still a fantastic rail. I'm sure Madbull had their reasons for not including the keymod on the bottom! 

• Like 1

I'll be honest I didn't actually notice the lack of key mod on the bottom! The panel that fits to the keymod literally just screws into the holes on the bottom if you need it. And you can put a MOE VFG directly onto the rail as you would a MOE foregrip. Yes it's not 100% true to the real steel which I guess it most important in the long run but it's still a fantastic rail. I'm sure Madbull had their reasons for not including the keymod on the bottom!

+1 You just remove the Keymod specific lugs from the RIS piece and you're good to go. A mate has one. Took him a while to figure it out, so I'm not sure how widely known it is. Probably something Madbull should be clear about.

Only because MB designed it that way. Other KEYMOD components won't fit the bottom rail if you remove the locking nut and just use the screw to lock the RIS to the MB NSR.

Have you tried this? Because the lugs can be removed from RS Keymod panels, too. Edited by The Reptile House

Typical KEYMOD assessories won't work because of the way it locks into the KEYMOD hole:

dy-ras-acc16-bk_2_mark.jpg

That semi-circle part won't fit into the rectangular bottom slots of the MB NSR.  You can modify it in such a way it'll work for both KEYMOD slots and the MB NSR bottom slots by shaving the sides of the semi-circle till it fits; but I don't know if that'll reduce the security of the locking mech onto the KEYMOD slots as a result.

What Madbull should have done was to widen the rectangular slots on the bottom so that the semi-circle locking bit would fit; assuming the structural integrity of the rail is still durable enough for airsoft use.

Edited by intinerious
  • Like 1

Here's a pic of an RS Noveske Keymod RIS section (it was mine before I sold my NSR). So, you can probably see what MB was basing their work-around on.

What my friend has done is remove the locking lugs. They are not attached to the RIS in this instance, so you're G2G.

So, I suppose what we've leaned from this is that Keymod accessories structured as above should be avoided or will need to be modded.

7f7a301050a42d4f32b5145f4ee343c1_zps57bd