AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

Not mine but those of you that dont surf ARFCom are missing a real diamond in the rough... New Keymod rail!

Everyone *knew* they looked like shelves but seeing it really makes it great!  :D

When I first saw Keymod rails, that's the first thing I thought of. Glad I'm not the only one.

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

keymod rails were purposely made to offer the same functionality of dpartment store shelving. the team that implimented the idea used them as inspiration. its not supposed to be ironic or commical that they are the same, they are purposely the same.

AFAIK...

Edited by Horsem4n

One of my VFC SR16 AEGs. Years after buying it, I still love this gun. Last week I switched out the KAC carbine URX and KAC flip up FSB and replaced it with my super rare KAC URX LW (RS) and a VLTOR low profile gas block. Though I forgot to put the SF X300U back on the URX flip up front sight. Other than that, it's a simple setup that works well for me.

SR-16-LW-sm.jpg

• Like 3

Here's some pics of a couple PredatAR replicas I picked up during my last trip to HK. The replicas are made by HeroArms, a local retailer that doesn't currently have a website. The bodies are OEM'ed for them by King Arms, the internals are all OEM'ed by G&P and the front end from the custom barrel nut forwards is made in house by HeroArms. A decent replica, though not 100% accurate. But very nice nonetheless. EhobbyAsia is currently selling them at a considerable price hike. In store at HeroArms they were listed ~HK$3,300. Not sure if that price still stands. For the price HeroArms is selling it for, I'd say it was worth it. For the price EHA is listing them … not so much. 

PredatAR-Black-sm.jpg

PredatAR-FDE-sm.jpg

The black PredatAR has real LaRue PredatAR panels. The FDE PredatAR has the original replica rail panels (which has mini-embossed texas flags rather than the aggressive texture of the real panels). Aside from the pistol grips, all other accessories are added after the fact.

• Like 4

Much, much better without the Costa trades.

Agreed. I'm really glad I had them make me a set of each without them. It just garners too much hate. I know Chris. I trained with him several times over the years and he's a great instructor. But I don't particularly want his logo on my guns.

If only those rails and uppers has anything do to with real LaRue XTRAXN rails and uppers...

XTRAXN was something internal on the real gun and quite frankly a gimmick with no discernible benefit as far as I can tell from my two real PredatARs. But the real one had that engraving and I was pleased to see they replicated it. The rails are far from perfect, but they're relatively well built and look good enough to pass at a cursory glance. They would have got more mileage out of them if they didn't put keymods along the length and shortened up the barrel nut. But the rifles as a whole look pretty decent as is.
  • Like 1

Almost exactly 19 months after purchase, the 14.5" LM4 is as 'done' as done can be with an airsoft AR.  It was skirmished a few times at different stages of building so it's not a studio-perfect glamour gun, but the intention's never been to make a wall hanger, far from it really.

14488320271_8332e42516_b.jpg

14490322034_0dd80cc211_b.jpg

14490334394_4858828ff5_b.jpg

A few people helped me out in various ways with parts and inspiration so cheers to those guys, won't list names because it'll come across like a cheesy oscar acceptance instead of a gun picture thread post.

• Like 12

Dude, I JUST washed my *fruitcage* boxers.

BTW is that a Seekins T1 Mount? Looks better than I remembered.

Now that's high praise.

It's OEM by Seekins but it came attached to the Primary Arms site direct from their store and has some kinda nasty 'PA' trades front and back instead of that sweet Seekins logo.  However for the quality of the mount and package deal price I paid on the set, that's fine with me.

Chris, that came out awesome! Is the engraving a machine engraving or laser engraving?

Looks like a gun I'd use. ;)

Had to steal my ideas from somewhere mate!  Yeah had my own 'trades' machined in to the metal, finally after all these years the market for it has actually appeared in the UK and we can get this sort of stuff done reliably.  Also had the outer barrel lathe'd before the cerakote, the extra material that makes up the 203 cut out in front of the gas block has been taken away.  Probably go for something a bit more fancy next time, like that KAC dimples job you had a while back.

It's machine engraving. I know because I totally am a Chris REMF Tacticool fanboy on facebook.  :D Looking so good, I absolutely love it. 

Ha, cheers Leon, much appreciated.