AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Quick one for anyone who has had a Madbull rail and Dytac rail.  How is the finish/quality of the Dytac rails (In particular UXR 3.1 & their SMR rails) compared to the finish of a Madbull rail?

I'm torn between a 13.5' UXR 3.1 or a 13.5' SMR MK5. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of seeing either in the flesh and I have to judge it from pictures. Saw some reviews of were people have mentioned the quality and anodising of Dytac rails to be hit and miss.

Quick one for anyone who has had a Madbull rail and Dytac rail.  How is the finish/quality of the Dytac rails (In particular UXR 3.1 & their SMR rails) compared to the finish of a Madbull rail?

I'm torn between a 13.5' UXR 3.1 or a 13.5' SMR MK5. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of seeing either in the flesh and I have to judge it from pictures. Saw some reviews of were people have mentioned the quality and anodising of Dytac rails to be hit and miss.

The barrel nut on my Dytac URX 3 was was made of soft cheese, it broke after a few twist using very mild force with a wrench.

The externals were OK though.

The SMR's are in a different league in terms of fit and finish, easily supersedes any of Madbull's efforts.  

Handled one of those DYTAC SMR, didn't like the grit/finish. (not sure if the thing is sandblasted so coarse, or actually machined from cast metal with full of bubble)

Machining seems inconsistent, I could feel "stairs" around curved places (I know real ones also have the steps visible but not really be felt by touching) but not the opposite side, no safety bevel / deburr cuts around some edges that I could even snap off some chips.

For the record, DDC-ish color is nice.

I had the nsr as my last rail, granted i never used the keymod so I've no opinion on it, but i couldn't fault it otherwise. Finish was spot on and mounting it to an upper was hassle free.

What's poor about their keymod? Not more off spec issues?

I suppose i might take a punt with PTS and their rail. Would make a nice change from buying MB all the time.

Edited by bOp

Hence why I said 'inconsistency', you cannot judge a brand from 1 purchase.

MB don't bother making the internal cuts that the actual KeyMod spec calls for.  I'm not sure which accessories would even work apart from their own and I've not seen any reviews on whether even those attach securely.

Indeed, that is Airsoft all over with inconsistency. I've had my fill of ill fitting/troublesome MB rails hence why i was seeking opinions on a different brand.

what you have just said doesn't inspire confidence much. Im at a stage where i can not be bothered with issues like that. Im surprised being that its suppose to be a `licenced` product - id expect a key feature to work as it should.

I've installed other airsoft Keymod accessories from G&P to Iron airsoft direct to a Madbull NSR.. if you tighten the nuts securely it'll be strong enough for most things Ive found! Never had anything fall of yet!

Luckily the MB metal is pretty soft so the keymod accessories with the correct internal cut requirements generally just force themselves a groove. 

Thanks, that might sway my decision from going with Dytac's rails altogether. Can't really be bothered with any hassles.

PTS Centurion C4 or MB NSR it is then.

If PTS Centurion is on your list, I would recommend CMR, proprietary accessories could be a problem (for now), but built in rotation-limited QD sockets and ability to direct-mount accessories (by force) on threaded holes could save some hassle, I was thinking about screwing an MVG when I built my WE M4 (It was May this year, I just can't wait :P ).

Oh, IIRC C4 rail requires a "barrel nut" --- Delta Ring sans the "delta" part, still a nice rail if that's not a issue

If PTS Centurion is on your list, I would recommend CMR, proprietary accessories could be a problem (for now), but built in rotation-limited QD sockets and ability to direct-mount accessories (by force) on threaded holes could save some hassle, I was thinking about screwing an MVG when I built my WE M4 (It was May this year, I just can't wait :P ).

Oh, IIRC C4 rail requires a "barrel nut" --- Delta Ring sans the "delta" part, still a nice rail if that's not a issue

I have the CMR now it's fantastic. Though I've never found a QD attachment that will fit in the QD sockets they all seem to be slightly too wide. Have you had this issue?

I have also mounted a MVG directly to the screws underneath. It's a brilliant idea in theory and does work well but there are no locating holes on the underside of the rail which means the MVG can have a tendency to twist.

Me and my friend have the DYTAC Geissele rails. Me the M4 and him the 416. I've noticed no issues with either and we are both harder than most on things. Really no complaints, especially at their price point. I mean it's an $80ish cloned rail. What are you expecting?

You have a (few) point(s) here

I have the CMR now it's fantastic. Though I've never found a QD attachment that will fit in the QD sockets they all seem to be slightly too wide. Have you had this issue?

I have also mounted a MVG directly to the screws underneath. It's a brilliant idea in theory and does work well but there are no locating holes on the underside of the rail which means the MVG can have a tendency to twist.

Nope, I didn't have one.

I asked to molest (!?) some of the Centurion rails when I visited a friendly store, didn't have the chance to try the QD.

I did direct-mount a MVG to a TRX rail, I  removed the 2 tabs and wrapped sandpaper to a tube similar sized with the rail and "carved" a channel on the top of the MVG, made centering spacer with scrap plastic to fit inside TRX's hole and boom! Ultra slick vertical grip! :P

Oh BTW, PTS CMR is like $100-ish rail, with machining tolerance / finish that I "like", the cost includes low profile gas block with not-gas-tube ( very clever workaround, Y U not do this MB??? ) and also the "evil" license fee.

• Like 2