AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Found this on AR15.com, it offers a bit of explanation about the MRE concept from KAC:

"When we first made our standard FF Rail Forend for M16's/M4's, particularly the Short M4 Carbine model, was adopted by several Tier One units. These units generally obtain such equipment long before the public release of same. After a few months, one sub-element of a unit came to us and asked us to some how extend the rails so they could mount flashlights & lasers further forward and thereby "clear" the rear of the rail forend for normal grasping of the weapon. Several of these guys either did not like using a Forward Pistol Grip, or wanted their big lights on the 6 o'clock rail, but also wanted to use the Forward Grip. So Mr. Doug Olson the engineer and designer of these rail; systems took a Rifle Length FF RAS, and cut out the front ends of the upper and lower rails, and then designed the Filler Piece (s) to help stabilize the two protruding side rails together at the front. It is a little tenous to re-install the gas block taper pins, but its certainly worth the More real Estate (MRE) when you consider what you gain in return. I also think this stye forend is the best way to improve the look and functionality of early post-ban Colt Carbines with long plain jane "Sara Brady" barrels." - Dave Lutz VP MilOps KAC

I'm digging the offset micro dot, wanted to use it myself too. Is it useful to you?

Since I don't play, I won't be bale to tell you. But for having "drilled" with it: yes it is rather useful, or at least comfortable in narrow spaces.

But, in theory, I would say it is. My Specter is a fixed x4, so at close range a magnified optic is not really comfortable to use. And though one could argue that using the offset dot would impact on the hop-up, the distance between you and the target is so small that I won't really matter.

And though one could argue that using the offset dot would impact on the hop-up, the distance between you and the target is so small that I won't really matter.

Try zeroing the offset sight separately in "desired" distance, confirm with paper targets at zeroed distance AND ± few meters to see how much to hold over/right ( for right handed shooter ).

BTW, think about how to utilize the set up when in close range and cover is on your strong/right side, mind blown :P

Found this on AR15.com, it offers a bit of explanation about the MRE concept from KAC:

"When we first made our standard FF Rail Forend for M16's/M4's, particularly the Short M4 Carbine model, was adopted by several Tier One units. These units generally obtain such equipment long before the public release of same. After a few months, one sub-element of a unit came to us and asked us to some how extend the rails so they could mount flashlights & lasers further forward and thereby "clear" the rear of the rail forend for normal grasping of the weapon. Several of these guys either did not like using a Forward Pistol Grip, or wanted their big lights on the 6 o'clock rail, but also wanted to use the Forward Grip. So Mr. Doug Olson the engineer and designer of these rail; systems took a Rifle Length FF RAS, and cut out the front ends of the upper and lower rails, and then designed the Filler Piece (s) to help stabilize the two protruding side rails together at the front. It is a little tenous to re-install the gas block taper pins, but its certainly worth the More real Estate (MRE) when you consider what you gain in return. I also think this stye forend is the best way to improve the look and functionality of early post-ban Colt Carbines with long plain jane "Sara Brady" barrels." - Dave Lutz VP MilOps KAC

Yeah, installing the rail was a right pain, particularly when it came to screwing the delta ring tight. Getting the top rail of the MRE lined up with the top of the receiver took me around an hour.

More Rail Estate is a good way of looking at it actually. I doubt I'll ever actually use all of the space with gadgets and lights, but it's nice to know it's there. And it looks a bit different, you don't see too many MRE's on the field here.

This is something ive wondered: how do u rate your CA aeg? Its one brand ive very little exp with, but their line up is really eclectic and pretty cool. My budget would he the 150 to 200 mark...would that get me a good m16?

To be honest, I've had this rifle (pro-line, not sportline) for about 2 years, and I paid £120 for it when my friend wanted to get rid of it after having it for about 3-4 years. I can honestly say I've never had any issues with it. The gearbox was serviced 12 months ago and it's only seen about 5000 rounds since then, no problems to speak of.

Edited by Arghoslent93
  • Like 2

Yeah, I think ill go second hand on my next one too. Im selling off my air weapons and older aegs; slimlining my armoury to fund the "dream weapon" list. Ignoring the for sale kit my loadout is: KJW g27, ICS M4 RIS, and my "AK modular Weapon system in a box project" pretty much 3 receivers so far- with those three and the right parts you can make every Ak derivative ever made, or at least the s9viet classics.

My dream gun tho? Tricky there are so many. Ill stay on topic though- somebody please suggest a perfect M16 replica, A1 at the latest, though I love the look of the bakelite furniture on those early issues.

Failing thatits gotta be the g&p Car 15. If only ICS werent so picky with parts I would love that modular AR15 concept.

Oh yeah- my m4 has colt trades and you can adjust the barrel, but at my local shop all their M4's have ICS logos. Whys that?