AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Avalon? Where'd you get the BCM pistol grip?

Avalon, repainted with Mr. Color German Gray (sandblasted prior as previous owner sprayed it with Rustoleum Tan and paintstrippers won't work; though now I found out the Mr. Color stuff doesn't hold up well).

Pistol grip is DYTAC's offering.  Grip angle is pretty much the same as the RS BCM grip, internally the motor is slanted so the motor angle isn't an issue either.

Was about to say it looks like a gas gun with that grip angle.  Surprised Dytac have managed to pull that off, will definitely be picking up a couple of those grips to try out.

Looks pretty realistic being all BCM with the Geissele trigger in there; which is the handy thing about BCM because their grips, stock and rail are all really good so you don't necessarily need to cherry pick the best stuff from other manufacturers.

May have to swap out some stuff on my Avalon/KMR build now after seeing that... what brands are the trigger and the compensator?

Edited by CKinnerley

Was about to say it looks like a gas gun with that grip angle.  Surprised Dytac have managed to pull that off, will definitely be picking up a couple of those grips to try out.

Looks pretty realistic being all BCM with the Geissele trigger in there; which is the handy thing about BCM because their grips, stock and rail are all really good so you don't necessarily need to cherry pick the best stuff from other manufacturers.

May have to swap out some stuff on my Avalon/KMR build now after seeing that... what brands are the trigger and the compensator?

The muzzle device is a KA one.  It's not 100% true to the RS as the ports on the 45 degree angles are the same size as the ones on the 90/270 degree from the top of the muzzle device.  Lemme get you a link....

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/accessories/flash-hiders/king-arms-tactical-flash-hider-14mm-ccw-48mm.html#.VbUzNLOqpBc

If you want the one that's longer (for the AR15s in the US hitting the 16" overall barrel length):

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/accessories/flash-hiders/king-arms-tactical-flash-hider-14mm-ccw-56mm.html#.VbUzNbOqpBc

For the BCM pistol grip, the motor angle is assumed to be okay since it was shimmed such that the motor noise is comparable to a well-shimmed M4 with a standard A2 grip (courtesy of DarkLite).  He tried using the Maekii motor grip tool to check the angle but due to the design and depth of the trigger he couldn't visually inspect it to make sure the motor angle is actually perfect.

Here's a link to the grips (I've got no interest with Ehobby btw, it's just that they stock the products I'm linking in this post):

Black: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/accessories/grips-handguard/aeg/pistol-grip/dytac-bravo-style-pistol-grip-for-aeg-black.html#.VbU0CbOqpBc

FDE: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/accessories/grips-handguard/aeg/pistol-grip/dytac-bravo-style-pistol-grip-for-aeg-dark-earth.html#.VbU0B7OqpBc

They do a gray one as well, but Ehobby doesn't seem to stock it.  See the pics for the motor plate thingy that is held against the motor by the grip's pivot cap.

The Geissele trigger is a "discontinued" product.  A local HK designer (KP Studios) do 3D printed triggers for GBBRs and AEGs on Shapeways but Shapeways has been cancelling his product orders given that they don't like printing "gun" related parts (see post below):

I've managed to buy the trigger early on before Shapeways caught on.  He said he's found a machine shop to do his Geissele / SAI / Chip McCormick / etc triggers using a CNC Machine + having his products cerakoted locally BUT due to the change in manufacturing the costs will be around 50 USD (see FB link above).  So if you really want the trigger in the future you'll be able to get a fully CNC'd one off KP Studios directly, but the 3D printed ones are "discontinued" in the foreseeable future.

The rail is a DYTAC replica as well (the trades were added on later as the DYTAC KMRs come without trades).  If anyone's interested in those I can give you the breakdown:

- The nuts locking the rail against the barrel nut require a LOT of torque, otherwise the rail will wobble up and down.  Not really an issue except for the fact that the hex screws included like to strip, so be careful.

- The hex screws for the nuts don't have the cutout like the proper BCM ones, so you'll be twisting one end of the screws against the head of the other one to tighten the nuts against the rail.

- The piece locking the rail's rotation against the receiver will marr the receiver.  You can try using pliers to bend them outwards but it won't work as advertised in that case.  I opted to file 0.5mm of the material away from each side of the locking tabs, so that it fits the AEG upper snugly without damaging the upper.  Perhaps it'll fit fine without issues on GBBR uppers, assuming AEG uppers are wider.

- The KMR10 rail is twice the weight of the real KMR10 (but remember the real KMRs are REALLY light so the DYTAC KMR is actually really light too), forgot about the actual numbers though....sorry guys.

- Has proper KEYMOD slots (yes, the 100 degree inner bevel exists)

- Is as thin as the real KMR

Edited by intinerious
  • Like 1

The Geissele trigger is a "discontinued" product.  A local HK designer (KP Studios) do 3D printed triggers for GBBRs and AEGs on Shapeways but Shapeways has been cancelling his product orders given that they don't like printing "gun" related parts (see post below):

I've managed to buy the trigger early on before Shapeways caught on.  He said he's found a machine shop to do his Geissele / SAI / Chip McCormick / etc triggers using a CNC Machine + having his products cerakoted locally BUT due to the change in manufacturing the costs will be around 50 USD (see FB link above).  So if you really want the trigger in the future you'll be able to get a fully CNC'd one off KP Studios directly, but the 3D printed ones are "discontinued" in the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the info on the trigger producer! I grabbed one of the flat triggers whilst they were available on shapeways.. we will see if it goes through or not! Fingers crossed! I'll grab a Geissele one eventually if he posts them back online! 

Edited by DeltaZero
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info on the trigger producer! I grabbed one of the flat triggers whilst they were available on shapeways.. we will see if it goes through or not! Fingers crossed! I'll grab a Geissele one eventually if he posts them back online! 

I'm not too sure what RS product the only available flat trigger is supposed to be a replica of (this one), but APS does something similar for 5 USD:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/a-p-s-tactical-dynamic-trigger-tdt-for-no-2-hybrid-gearbox-ver-2-1.html

It's a much cheaper option and looks similar enough to the flat trigger on Shapeways that might be more worthwhile for you to get. I'm hoping he'll have the Geisselle flat triggers back on the market too!

It's a copy of the CMC Triggers  flat trigger. Retro Arms do a CNC one but I've not heard fantastic things about them. That APS one is alright but not 100% what I want, I've got a SPEED trigger in it at the moment and won't change it till I find what I want! 

XCMC91503.jpg

I'll be trying to install a small grub screw to allow tuning the slack should it arrive! 

May i ask hat is not so fantastic about retro arms triggers? I have a v2 and v3, one of each (v3 on a ACSU and the v2 with a BTC chimera), and i haven't had an issue with either and the quality seems quite nice to me.

Granted i have read of people having problems with certain combinations of gbox/switch/trigger but you know, airsoft. Nothing will ever fit perfectly even with "same" components.

I've a buddy who tried using one in a P* (as I want to do) and it was a lot of filing etc to get it to work right with the microswitch in the fusion engine. I might give it a go but if this one can come through I think i'll be happier with it in general, it's the right colour too for starters! 

You are right though, nothing will ever work 100% perfectly! 

lol.. really?  Got any links to all these new quad rails that are being released/in development?  From absolutely everything I've seen and purchased they're very much going M-LOK and KeyMod continues, barely any quad rails released to the RS AR market in the states in the last couple of years.

BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, Erathr3, Midwest Industries, Rainier Arms, Fortis Mfg, ALG Defense, B5 Systems, Magpul, Geissele, Parallax Tactical, Knights Armament, Hodge Defense, SLR Rifleworks, SMOS Arms, MEGA Arms, Seekins Precisions, Armalite, VLTOR... just a short list of a partial selection of the companies doing KeyMod and M-LOK forends, many of whom have either completely dropped quad picatinny from their product selections over the last couple of years having produced them in the past, or entirely side-lined it to focus primarily on lighter, more streamlined solutions.

Edited by CKinnerley
  • Like 3

lol.. really?  Got any links to all these new quad rails that are being released/in development?  From absolutely everything I've seen and purchased they're very much going M-LOK and KeyMod continues, barely any quad rails released to the RS AR market in the states in the last couple of years.

BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, Erathr3, Midwest Industries, Rainier Arms, Fortis Mfg, ALG Defense, B5 Systems, Magpul, Geissele, Parallax Tactical, Knights Armament, Hodge Defense, SLR Rifleworks, SMOS Arms, MEGA Arms, Seekins Precisions, Armalite, VLTOR... just a short list of a partial selection of the companies doing KeyMod and M-LOK forends, many of whom have either completely dropped quad picatinny from their product selections have produced them in the past, or entirely side-lined it to focus primarily on lighter, more streamlined solutions.

And adding to this, Lantac is pushing their KAM system out as a competitor to KEYMOD and M-LOK:

Edited by intinerious

M-LOK will take home the win in the end. :)

(Because, MAGPUL! Simpler machine cut-outs, square vs. double rounded hole thingies in KEYMOD, cheaper, open platform etc.)

Just my guess from what I've seen so far.

M-LOK with direct attaching accessories will be awesome. Skip the picatinny rail altogether and just mount it straight on the "rail" system.

I initially thought my DYTAC Geissele SMR MK1 was M-LOK and I had ordered RS M-LOK accessories for it which I had to cancel when I realized it wasn't. Looked identical.

Problem with these modular rails without direct attaching accessories is you have to pay extra money for rail pieces (Geissele want $30 USD per piece, no matter if it's 3, 5, 9 or 11 slot piece. WHAT?!), adds weight that you were "fooled" into thinking you weren't getting and it bulks up the rifle and sets the accessories further out from the rail system in the end. No me gusta. 

Edited by NonEx

The keymod came first, we will be seeing more of it for years to come. Mlok is meh, also companies make direct mount stuff of sorts.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/flashlights-accessories/flashlight-mounts/adaptive-light-mount-prod53906.aspx

Keymod takes less space to mount stuff than mlok does, the more I see mlok I see oz adding up.

But then again my favorite rail system is the urx3.1

Edited by Alias1983