AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Here's my new "oar", WIP.
Another step. The shell before cerakoting.
Funny thing - I figured out, that Madbull's steel outers (14,5 MID, GOV profile) are slightly too short. For about 7 mm.

- C&C Tac MK16 (best released so far)
- Madbull 14,5 outer barrel (MID, GOVT profile, steel)
- King Arms receiver set (Colt markings)
- VFC CQD sling mount
- Iron Airsoft 51T (which doesn't seem to be very accurate, BTW)

The rest? Pretty obvious or irrelevant ;).
Or invisible. For now.

TEST FIT 4.jpg

Edited by MRF
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, MRF said:

I would get rid of this barrel from this one, and get some steel one. From Madbull or G&P.

Add a load of weight in perhaps the worst place to add weight as far as it relates to affect on handling?  For essentially zero gain both practically and aesthetically?  Not personally my cup of tea thanks, I infinitely prefer the standard pot metal barrels, especially given you basically can't see 80%+ of the barrel with most builds using modern handguard configurations.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:41 PM, CKinnerley said:

Add a load of weight in perhaps the worst place to add weight as far as it relates to affect on handling?  For essentially zero gain both practically and aesthetically?  Not personally my cup of tea thanks, I infinitely prefer the standard pot metal barrels, especially given you basically can't see 80%+ of the barrel with most builds using modern handguard configurations.

Hey, but where's the strive for realism? ;)

And I would be careful on lack of practical gain. I can easy recall a few situations when I wouldn't bet on aluminum outer barrel survival... 

Edited by MRF
1 hour ago, MRF said:

Hey, but where's the strive for realism? ;)

And I would be careful on lack of practical gain. I can easy recall a few situations when I wouldn't bet on aluminum outer barrel survival... 

Been playing about 13 years, only ever hit an AR replica barrel in to anything firmly one time, was Dytac pot metal and it showed zero sign of damage.  You're welcome to use what you like that's fine, but this is airsoft you can play as hard or as easy as you like.  I'll take the lightweight option seeing as I don't play much and I tend to just not bash my guns in to things when I do play, same way I treat my issued rifle.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MRF said:

Well, obviously it was just suggestion... 

No that's fine, not trying to come aggressive here and if it reads that's way then my apologies.  Personally, I'll use real stuff where I physically/legally can purely because I find that a fun element of a build, but I've tended towards the lightweight side of the spectrum for many years now on those RS parts, especially with rails, barrels, muzzle devices and other front end parts.  If I can use a pot metal barrel that looks essentially the same as a steel one and is mostly covered anyway, but weighs a lot less, than that's my preference.  Right now I'm fighting with a V7 Hyper Light M-LOK tube trying to get it on my Krytac LVOA - horrible tolerances on the barrel nut.

• Like 1

I'm always a bit torn with putting steel everything on AEGs, especially ARs, because in my case (especially with next-gen recoils), they end up weighing heavier than the real thing with a loaded mag, which for me is a bigger sin than being too light, GBBR's most definitely, but with the gearbox and recoil weight, it ends up being too beefy before putting all the tactical christmas tree decoration on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Being fit for nothing but sitting around is driving me up the wall. So I dragged my toolbox and spare parts over to the sofa and started to build a 2nd upper from my leftovers. Just need a CW flash hider

Full build is a happy blend of old and new styles. Cerakoted receiver and new shaped grip, with old furniture and full length barrel.

98eaf57a5c523150d1625085baef85e9.jpg

de420bffdda4cbbdf84ad77b4a5b4aad.jpg

17ab472c8c3d322a7feff1bb88258bc8.jpg

The 5 trips on my feet I needed to make have reduced my legs to jelly, so that’s me done for the day!

• Like 4

Really? That’s strange. We’re both uppers just standard we?

This one took a bit of work as it’s all out of spares from the bin. Think this was an ICS onto a Dytac receiver. One of the securing pigs at the back had snapped off. Had to saw the other one off, and file it down so the back would fit.

Not s perfect fit st the back, but solid as hell at the front and the hop feeds fine so that’s good enough for me

Reached the limit for no photo posts for my liking but that's not really a big deal to me. What I am thinking is to get two matching sets of uppers I would have to buy two brand new WE M4s to make sure they are compatible which is a big commitment 😛

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...