AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here :)

I have been working on a Viper Tech M723 "Operation Gothic Serpent" clone for a while now and just recently got a more period correct carry handle scope mount installed than my previous A.R.M.S. #02 repro. This was a MGW Weaver mount that I bought from Brownells EU that turned out to be slightly too wide for my Viper Tech carry handle "gutter" and needed som fitting. Luckily I know a gunsmith and I took it to his shop just the other that to have it milled in order to fit.

I have been using Vickers guide to the AR-15 vol. 1 (second edition), Catgut and the internet in general as my sources. There is a reference build in Vicker's in particular that I have been using as inspiration.

The scope is a RS Aimpoint 5000 mounted with period correct Leupold Rifleman 30mm rings (that were harder to find than I'd like to admit, but now I have a couple of sets). The Buttstock is RS, but not original Colt, but is from Brownell's "Retro" line. Honestly, the stock VT buttstock is almost identical, it wasn't worth switching out.

The handguards are repro and are DNA XM177E2 handguards that have a pretty good sheen to them and matches the look of the original handgaurds pretty good, they even have heatshields which is a plus for repros.

The light is a RS Surefire 6P with an original tape switch which is mounted on a small piece of picatinny rail bolted directly to the upper portion of the handguard in the 2-3 o'clock position via an original Surefire 1 inch ring. The Tape switch is secured to the handguard by two pieces of bike tubing colocially called "ranger bands" (thanks Catgut!) and works just as good as 100mph tape without the added hassle of having to apply new tape every time you take the handguards off.

The sling is not stricly speaking clone correct, but I really like OD slings and found a guy on Ebay who made repro USGI silent slings in custom colors (not just black). The sling is mounted on the FSB via a piece of OD paracord.

And that's about it I tihnk. The gun itseld is stock internally, being a Viper Tech there really isn't much need to upgrade.

_DSF1142-2.jpg

_DSF1140-2.thumb.jpg.7d29ed0507bbfba741fe9426ec61c26a.jpg

Edited by Radford343
  • Like 16

Not meaning to spam! But I just received my new Viper Tech Colt Model 701 (M16A2) painted in Colt Grey cerakote that I have been waiting for for a while now. Really happy with this one, now I need a RS surplus sling and furniture :D

_DSF1157.jpg

_DSF1159.jpg

_DSF1161.jpg

_DSF1164.jpg

Edited by Radford343
Spelling error
  • Like 10
  • 1 month later...
On 4/23/2022 at 9:45 PM, Radford343 said:

The light is a RS Surefire 6P with an original tape switch which is mounted on a small piece of picatinny rail bolted directly to the upper portion of the handguard in the 2-3 o'clock position via an original Surefire 1 inch ring.

Beautiful rifle. Do you have any close-ups of the way the torch is mounted?

On 6/10/2022 at 1:03 AM, PureSilver said:

Beautiful rifle. Do you have any close-ups of the way the torch is mounted?

Why thank you! It's just a bolted on piece of picatinny rail, not much to photograph really.

I have since decided to barrel mount it via a SF M10 adapter instead:

_DSF1329.jpg

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Family pic, let's call this "evolution of old school Armalite replica models" :)

Can post detail pics, if anyone's interested, just let me know.

Left to right:

- MGC M16A1 modelgun 1st Gen, late 60s, full metal, not entirely accurate replica, has that famous screw holding together upper and lower instead of a forward assist, internally completely different than a real AR

- MGC XM177E2 modelgun 1st Gen, same series as the M16A1

- MGC M16/CP (M16A1), PFC modelgun, probably early 80s, a lot of plastic on this one and no authentic markings, but otherwise faithful copy

- JAC AR15A2 bulletvalve airsoft gun, late 80s, Deluxe model with metal receiver and barrel, but missing internal parts, defective

- G&P M16A1 GBB, late 2000s, with JAC M203 40mm airsoft grenade launcher, probably from 1993/94, with G&P frontset and G&P M203 frontsight, plus a realsteel M203 Quadrant sight on the carryhandle

- WE XM177E2 GBB Open Bolt, around 2010, nothing special to say here :)

- TOP M16VN (something like a Model 602 / M16, but with a XM16E1 upper) EBB shellejctor, around 2012, with reproduction Colt 4x carryhandle scope; for me this is the most fun electric airsoftgun ever built, the shelleject system is super-awesome :D

- VFC M733 GBB, the newest addition to the family, 2022. Very nice gun, especially externally!

oldschoolars01ojkqb.jpg

oldschoolars02e8juy.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey again all! 

I've made some changes to my rifles since the last time I posted any pictures so I though this was as good as an excuse as any to post some new ones :)

You will see two replicas; a Viper Tech M16A2 (M703) with a real M203 heatshield/leaf sight, real A2 stock and a real A2 pistol grip combined with a G&P M203 underbarrel grenade launcher. The other one is a DNA M16A1 (M603) with a real USGI contract Aimpoint "gooseneck" scope mount, reproduction A2 handguards and a HWO Aimpoint M2 reproduction along with a real surplus M1 nylon web sling.

I tried taking better pictures this time, I've improved my lighting setup since last time. 

w88Zrg3.jpg

bg6zeEW.jpg

U7Fn6lS.jpg

4wVtjCJ.jpg

Edited by Radford343
Changed to imgur links for pictures.
  • Like 11
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 8:40 PM, Murdoc said:

Experimented with this mount plus Visionking scope... Once nearly fell off. :( 

Yeah, I'm not overly happy with it, although the Vector Forester is lighter than the VisionKing I have and it's worked for a whole morning without problems as it is.
Ideally I want to find a mount that sits half between the Geissele 1.5 and the 1.93.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...