AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

Hahaha, simple these days. And thanks!
Liking how yours is coming along so far, the competition upper and the Cerakote paintjob look amazing.
Thinking of a suppressor of some sort, QD AAC may be a good idea.
The bolt is too heavy to reliably run automatic (very sluggish rate of fire, sort of like a stock WE AK if not a little faster) so it stays on semi, always.

Edited by PreacherMan
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

OK.
I think I'm done. I think I'm in love with Cerakote. Gimme more. I will post picture o complete DMR, when my friend put this one together...8448097157_193a1d62e5_b.jpg

I didn't avoid some tiny imperfections on the handguard, but overall I really like how it turned out.

Edited by MRF

For now. In its final config glory

Better non iPhone pics later

55D8098F-FCF2-47EC-96A6-F4578DD551F1-552

And just a tease, this may be the second one I mod to fully work. The notch does lock into the peg inside without any modding. All that's left is making the groove for the bearings to lock into. Realy simply put, mark where they should be, take a pipe cutter and just score the line, take a dremel and grind out the ring. And you have yourself a sf can on a mb556k

A7518065-14AF-406D-AA6F-E37B08CFAD4D-552

• Like 3

How hard is it to self-apply Cerakote?

Quite easy from my point of view. Although I painted only two complete receivers, one forend and one Glock frame, I encountered no issue.

Most tricky thing is You have to avoid any contact with painted parts, before baking. This far I didn't have to sandblast anything - airsoft receivers seem to have quite enough rough surface, and I believe it's a side effect of being powder coated. So all I had to do was removing original coating.

Edit: In fact it would be even easier if I had an airbrush with wider nozzle diameter - 0,35 or 0,5 mm. Mine is 0,25.

Edited by MRF

How hard is it to self-apply Cerakote?

It's not hard if you already have extensive knowledge of working with airbrushes, an appropriate curing oven, spraybooth and respirator.

Why would you bother? You're in the US, where it's a service that's not hard to get hold of. Unless you're going to paint a lot of them it's cheaper to avoid buying all the kit. Kudos to MRF, though; his nearest applicator might be hundreds of miles away over a couple of national borders. There's only one the entire UK, AFAIK.

Kudos to MRF, though; his nearest applicator might be hundreds of miles away over a couple of national borders.

:D

Thanks, but I would be careful with such a statement - I have very limited resources and because of that I don't want to (and in fact I can't) mess up with parts bigger than AR receivers or AR RIS handguards (or anything with the same size).

I even don't want to talk more about how...inconvenient is cerakote shipping to EU ;).

I've already encounter first problem with my friend's P226 frame - I can't remove its paint with available chemicals and this far I couldn't find any workshop willing to sandblast it... I can only be quessing that sooner or later, with more commisions coming, I will find whole this cerakote DIY suc...ing all the way ;)

You looking for the RS or a replica?

Replica.  Should I get into RS, then I might invest in a real one.  But until then I can't really justify $130+ really.

RM, you can pick up the clone Surefires for around $40 and they come in a burnt bronze colour now too.

• Like 1

Replica.  Should I get into RS, then I might invest in a real one.  But until then I can't really justify $130+ really.

RM, you can pick up the clone Surefires for around $40 and they come in a burnt bronze colour now too.

Two options of where to order the replicas from, I've ordered both and they arrived no problems.

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=searchItem&item=CR-GM01-0001&search=special&rs=556k&catid=&cat=

http://www.kic.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?info=p8483_Crusader-SF-MB556K-Flash-Hider.html&XTCsid=ec488564c3efa0b873e980a5e3b6ef12

If you do decide you want the RS, I have a link for that as well.

Some of the flash hiders are better than others. The first one I modded was the one off evike. It was pretty soft aluminum so the job was easy, the one I have now in the crusade tone which seems to be steel. I'm going to grab my old one from my buddie and write up a tutorial. Don't know if I even want the can on my mk18 anymore so not sure if I want to mod this one.

I'll say this, the scoring the line with a pipe cutter is key or you will have an off groove. The other way to do it would just be to drill indents for the balls to click into.

A regular old blue sharpie paint pen is what I use or a random blue one from walmart.

People actually constantly give me about numbering my stuff. For me it's more of a " if It has 018 on it in blue it's mine" . I have it on everything somewhere even my helmet and thunder bs.

EDIT: these are what your after or similar

http://m.sharpie.com/enUS/Pages/oil-based-paint-marker-fine-point.aspx

Edited by -wigs-
  • Like 2

No. I don't believe Madbull ever made those in CW thread. It's possible that they sold the flashhider in CW separately. I don't recall.

Regarding the SF556K + SF can, I tried to see how my DYTac 556K would do with the SF can. It appears that the DYTac 556K's bottom groove isn't long enough to allow the SF can to slide all the way on. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm guessing I'll have to lengthen that groove.