AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

Posted Images

Now that is curious. I have a VFC SCAR-H AAC can and it just goes on the threads like a flash hider. Wouldn't another one do the same?

Because that would be a VFC. I also have one of these. Not only do they have the thread at the base of the flash-hider, but they are also not at the same dimensions as it should be (thiner and a few millimeters longer).

Flash-hiders made by PTS have a MITER mount, which means something I don't know, and the thread is halfway inside the device.

oh yea, actually i had a VFC which is as you describe. I bought a PTS one because it is more accurate to the real AAC SPR/M4 MITER

M.I.T.E.R is a special mounting system that has 5 different threads on the flash hider, what 'o clock position you lock your suppressor changes the point of impact (since in real life attaching a suppressor causes a small but predictable loss in zero) so if one position affects your zero, you're supposed to unscrew the suppressor, rotate the suppressor about 5 o'clock (24 divided by 5) and twist it on and try again. one of the 5 positions will minimize the point of impact shift.

Of course this has no effect in airsoft lol.

notice how much more complicated the M.I.T.E.R. threading is compared to the blackout

IMG_4193%201-28%20Stick.jpg

i know too many useless things lol.

Edited by kagami

Damn you all with your SRS and NSR/URX/fancy rail  goodness your making me want to build a new civi gun!!!

Your enthusiasm just makes me loving my "dated" mk18 and LaRue 9.0/12.0 rails even more :P.

I tell You guys, I give this keymod madness no more than two, maybe three years, before people forget about it or it will be replaced with "new" system based on the same idea, but with different holes :P. While military sticks to good old picatinny rails ;).

It's just like 29-ers in MTB world.

Mark my words ;).

Your enthusiasm just makes me loving my "dated" mk18 and LaRue 9.0/12.0 rails even more :P.

I tell You guys, I give this keymod madness no more than two, maybe three years, before people forget about it or it will be replaced with "new" system based on the same idea, but with different holes :P. While military sticks to good old picatinny rails ;).

It's just like 29-ers in MTB world.

Mark my words ;).

I predict than one day you'll get a Geiselle on one of your gun! :D

What's madness about KeyMod?  The fact it does the same thing as Picatinny but at a fraction of the weight and bulk? :huh:

Cutting the warfighters' load isn't some fad that's just popped up after all, you look at pretty much every single tac gear manufacturer and they're all doing it, have been for some time now.  Guns with more plastic, light helmets, lighter ballistic plates, lower denier nylon, light boots and uniforms.  The military won't move on from 20mm for a long old time but that's a symptom of the conventional military's aversion to change & progress in equipment and the sluggish nature of progression in huge, hulking organisations that have to get every little thing signed off by 5000 different people of whom a very large portion have never served a day.  SF guys will be running it very soon if not already and then, as history has shown us on so many occasions, give it about a decade and it'll filter down to everyone else.

Don't get me wrong this isn't a diehard KeyMod fanboy post, I just think your prediction isn't going to hold.  But only time will tell so nobody (on either side of the debate) has any solid evidence as to what's going to actually end up happening.

Not going deeper into subject of keymod itself (I like keymods, don't get me wrong, I just recognise them THAT great) I will only say this, as You called it, "conventional military's aversion to change & progress" is often in fact no more than aversion to reinventing the wheel ;).

Nobody's more practical than army guys. It's... Natural.

The military *fruitcage* loves re-inventing the wheel and paying contractors an absolute fortune for the privilege (amongst many other things).  Though in this case it's a comparison between a wooden wheel with a solid tyre and no suspension vs a high end sports car alloy sporting a tyre that's filled with nitrogen and computer controlled reactive suspension.  Military folks definitely are not the most practical either, I've lived and worked with all trades/branches and various nationalities and I can assure you of that.

Anyway.

Getting there with the Femme Fatale.

13045231303_954e7a4968_b.jpg

The stock is actually fitted now just didn't have time for a decent picture, pretty much the only things left to decide are a rear BUIS and the muzzle device.  Shame PTS lost the Magpul license when they did because I reckon they'd have an appropriate MOE pistol grip by now that would've gone just perfectly on here.  Sadly I couldn't use the original outer barrel due to G&G's silly integrated gas block, but it's not too much of a loss because it had a stupid looking profile to it anyway.