AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Ivan, I have to ask - how many rifles have you got?

"Only" three ARs.

Then a MS, a shotgun, a G23 and a M&P9.

But i am thinking of getting a little something soon maybe. HK45 with some Salient Arms stuff, or maybe a MP7 or MP9.

• Like 1

Did I mention I FRACKING LOVE Cerakote ?! :D This it's my Larue lower after some DIY Cerakote treatment. Those paints are simply amazing and the comfort of working with them exceeds all scale modeling paints I've ever worked with. And please note that I paint them with typical 0.2mm nozzle modeling airbrush, so basically it's more difficult to aply than with 0,5 nozzle or wider paint gun...

What tools are necessary for you to DIY Cerakote? Always wanted to do it but I have no idea how...so I just use Alumahyde II spray paint cans.

You don't HAVE to have an oven to do cerakote. They offer both oven cure and air cure cerakote paints. Oven cure is definitely stronger than air cure (oven cure is approximately 2x the hardness, scratch resistant or air cure) but I've seen air cure cerakote done to real firearms that have been used hard and they've held up insanely well.

Edited by uscmCorps
  • Like 1

You don't HAVE to have an oven to do cerakote. They offer both oven cure and air cure cerakote paints. Oven cure is definitely stronger than air cure (oven cure is approximately 2x the hardness, scratch resistant or air cure) but I've seen air cure cerakote done to real firearms that have been used hard and they've held up insanely well.

Agreed.

Although in fact, oven part is not so hard, specially when we talk about airsoft cerakote applications, - kitchen devices of this kind will do the job. Only problem is lack of filters and the smell ;).

Edited by MRF

A simple M4 Carabine.

Brand : ICS

Internal: Kit F with a M110 Spring, Turbo 3000, 16:1 SHS Gears. Madbull 6.03

External: ICS RIS, Systema Crane Stock, Acog PS44, AGF MAgpull, ANpeq 15

Power: 350fps's

DSC_7855_zpsbdd2c049.jpg?t=1367504338

Edited by Jolas
  • Like 1

What is your opinion? It is a bit pricey, I wonder if it worths it.

Well, I have yet to test it on the field. I just received the complete gun a week ago :) I am using the handstop the same as the KAC URX III handstop that comes with the rail panel kit, as in: thumb over bore, index finger over the handstop (direction of the muzzle) and rest of the fingers behind it.

Still kinda experimenting with it, still have to try the push method and the pull method.

Edited by Kunlun

Guys, I know that in fact it will be off-topic, but... I couldn't resist.

Have You seen Madbull's Noveske NSR series, and new and "revolutionary" way for preventing installation of fake gas tube ?
Some stupid pin - of course You won't find it on real rail of this type.
They seem to really lack of imagination. Even if it's license requirement and it's designed to avoid cases of mounting airsoft version on real AR, they could do this by leaving some solid piece inside the shaft in this area... As they did on entire lenght of Troy TRX series. At least outer shell of the handguard would remain 100% correct in comparison to real one.

Aw, and they release them with no rail modules to attach. And I guess we can be pretty sure, that upper rail is to fat/off-spec too ;).

Nice fail once again.

Edit: now I am even more thrilled about rumors of Madbull trying to acquire license from Geissele...

Edited by MRF

The Noveske series of rails have always used that pin to prevent gas tube installation. It's possible that that was a contractual agreement and each different RS manufacturer had stipulated different conditions for license approval. And the RS NSR rails do not include rail attachments either.

The Noveske series of rails have always used that pin to prevent gas tube installation. It's possible that that was a contractual agreement and each different RS manufacturer had stipulated different conditions for license approval. And the RS NSR rails do not include rail attachments either.

But You can buy them I guess, while Madbull hasn't released them at all yet. At least I don't know anything about it.

It's just... funny. Or anoying if someone was waiting for airsoft NSR.

And speaking of this pin, I believe it's not the best way to achieve the goal behind it ;).

Edited by MRF

The Madbull Noveske NSR is quite frankly their best effort to date (having tried everyone in their range other than the PWS series).

It's made well and not off spec at all.

A gas tube can be installed without removing the pin completely, just saw off the enough in between to allow the gas tube to be threaded through.

And who said that the NSR rail sections weren't already available? :P 

Sorry, pics are a bit poo, it's cold, wet and dark outside  :no:

dscf1090i.jpg

dscf1109d.jpg

• Like 3

I'm not certain of your precise thoughts on the matter MRF, but to me the small pin makes for a much more appealing product.  I've discussed this with a few people and personally I'd much rather have the small pin that I can cut out and install a complete replica gas system.  If it causes there to be two small circles of irregular complexion on the forend I'm really not fussed, but having the entire 12 o/clock rail filled with metal, therefore totally removing the ability to fit a gas system for 99% of people, is a deal breaker for me.  That and you're adding a (comparative) ton of weight to a rail that's specifically meant to be light.

Would I buy another madbull rail regardless of their design decisions r.e. trying to stop fitment of their products on real ARs?  Most likely not, not unless they hugely stepped up their game in terms of tolerance fidelity and surface finish quality.  But if the NSR forends (with the small pin) were produced to a good standard I'd certainly keep it on my options list if I wanted to build a rifle with said rail that wouldn't require the upper re-threading to accept the Noveske original.

I'm not certain of your precise thoughts on the matter MRF, but to me the small pin makes for a much more appealing product.  I've discussed this with a few people and personally I'd much rather have the small pin that I can cut out and install a complete replica gas system.  If it causes there to be two small circles of irregular complexion on the forend I'm really not fussed, but having the entire 12 o/clock rail filled with metal, therefore totally removing the ability to fit a gas system for 99% of people, is a deal breaker for me.  That and you're adding a (comparative) ton of weight to a rail that's specifically meant to be light.

Would I buy another madbull rail regardless of their design decisions r.e. trying to stop fitment of their products on real ARs?  Most likely not, not unless they hugely stepped up their game in terms of tolerance fidelity and surface finish quality.  But if the NSR forends (with the small pin) were produced to a good standard I'd certainly keep it on my options list if I wanted to build a rifle with said rail that wouldn't require the upper re-threading to accept the Noveske original.

I'm pretty much in agreement on this; Having had the Madbull VTAC and SWS 9.28" - I'd buy the SWS again if I was going for that look; 12 seconds or so with a pair of snips, and I can fit a gas block and tube without a problem and a barely noticeable change to the exterior. The VTAC on the other hand was a total no go. I mean you physically can't see the part where the gas tube meets the upper - Why not simply put an inch of aluminium at the back with a hole for a gas tube? For all intents and purposes it'd look just as good, and hell, Madbull wouldn't have to use as much metal to make it. Some of their design decisions baffle me - The DD MFR 9.0 was nigh on perfect, and didn't even feature the airsoft only bit, or any way whatsoever of stopping a gas tube.

As for buying Madbull rails, I'll never do it again no matter how much they step up their game - These days getting an R/S rail for a similar price to an Airsoft replica is about the same amount of effort, or in the case of getting hold of a Samson one, a lot less hassle. 

All that aside, that NSR build looks damn nice Bladerunner!