AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Yeah Alex - just blogging it now. The Hogue is awesome!

I think the direction the SMR will take will be a bit more pervasive than replacing the KAC lower. Great brand, but it's not where I am ATM and I think I'll switch out the Rainier upper too.

Ah good, I look forward to my phone pinging me letting me know the blog is ready ;)

I was originally going for a nice full KAC build (URXIII + 18" barrel etc) but as that hasn't happened thanks to SOMEONE'S 'Hit Takers' posts, I'm going for the short and lightweight approach, maybe with a dab of hipster grey ceratoking, I'm im scared of doing that to a RS upper.

Oh and dibs on your Rainier by the way ;)

• Like 1

real M4 (Burst) serial number crossed out of course...

here's one with the serial number.

Just an FYI, it's my understanding that US Military M4's and M4A1's have the "Colt DEFENCE" roll markings as well as the "Colt MFG.". I have a photo of an M4 Carbine that they had on display during a USAF show here. It has a "W1XXXXX" serial and the Colt DEFENCE roll mark. I'm not sure when those roll marks are used. I did notice that the USAF M4 I saw had the reliability kit installed, which, I think, no airsoft manufacturer currently replicates (maybe they do now, I'm not sure).

Anybody here have first hand experience with the Fortis REV? I'm looking for a rail and settle on either a Centurion Arms C4 FSP or a Fortis Rev 14. I'm torn between the look of the FSB of the C4 and the keymod sides of the REV as I was spoiled by the URX III on my SR47. There's about a $100 price difference between the two, but once you add the cost of the front sight and gas block into the equation, it becomes about equal.

Thanks,

-Vic

Edited by PianoBlack

I don't really get the philosophy behind the Fortis.  Who specifically wants keymod at the sides and 20mm at the 6 o/clock?  The only appeal I can see is to folks who very specifically insist on using on using foregrips rather than handstops and don't like the 20mm sections that can be bolted to either keymod or other tubular handguards.  I don't know, maybe there's something else I'm missing, but the tall+narrow profile doesn't make sense to me, that and the aggressive cut-outs make it look horrendous to actually hold.  Quite aesthetically intimidating (as much as a forend can be) but it also looks like it'd bite your hand off every time you shot/moved the gun/grabbed on to the handguard.

• Like 1

I've handled both the REV and the C4 (owning the C4 briefly). Although the REV seems taller than the C4, it isn't.

The 6 O'clock rail on the C4 extends lower than the REV's, but the REV looks tall due to the narrow sides (as CKinnerley rightly suggests).

The reason the 3 and 9 O'clock rails are KeyModded, IIRC, is to provide a narrower profile for the support hand. Obviously if you want extra RIS, you can buy a KeyMod panel.

Installation of both rails is easy - they just go on over a standard RS barrel nut. I do believe the REV is lighter, however.

Two different rails really - I also like the FSB look of the C4 :)

• Like 1

416 Triple threat.  Nice rifles.

Here's my first LM4 based build, of all my guns to date this one's definitely taken the longest, about 9 months from buying the rifle end of last year up 'til now.  Very happy to now have a GBBr I can rely on though, big improvement in that respect from my WOCs, especially where magazines are concerned.  Had its' batism of fire at Op Morning After and now the final parts for the light setup have come in it's ready for some CQB action.

IMG_1790_zpsa7103cd8.jpg

Not sure why the picture's ending up so small, it was 12MP originally but something between my camera and the thread's shrinking it quite a lot.

Edited by CKinnerley
  • Like 2