AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

Many thanks! May need to rethink as it appears the barrrel would be sufficiently recessed that you couldn't access the release on an AAC suppressor once mounted to the appropriate muzzle device (guess that's why 9'' rails and 11-12'' barrels are the popular carbine choices).

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

OK. I think this picture is much better ;).

I have to say it again. I   !@#$%^&*   LOVE working with Cerakote. These paints are simply awesome.

Doing it at home causes a bit of mess (smell mostly), but results are nothing but pure pleasure.

Dayum! That's nice! The matte-silver-grey thing is starting to grow on me  :wub:

Here's my WE KAC PDW. It has; Magpul AFG2, RSA, XTM panels and PTS MOE pistol grip (soon to be replaced with RS Magpul MOE+). Also has KAC back-up sights, some ladder rail covers, 300+ lumen custom light on an offset mount and an Aim Sports T1 replica. The mock suppressor is hiding a 250mm 6.03 WE inner barrel and it's got a Reaps A+ hop rubber. This is my favorite gun to use in CQB and it chronos right in the 350fps range with .20's thanks to the Ra-tech NPAS. 

ok enough with the description, on to the pics!

null_zpsf87e9fb3.jpg

null_zpse663038c.jpg

null_zps04d3e0d8.jpg

null_zps2f6b5e20.jpg

null_zps66217295.jpg

null_zps59178c23.jpg

null_zpsac983abc.jpg

null_zps5d2591ca.jpg

null_zps8ce2f140.jpg

That makes me miss my old PDW, despite the fact that it was a first run WE and therefore junk: 

IMG_20100706_192659.jpg 

Just the other day I was eyballing a cheap plastic AEG PDW in a bargain bin, wondering if I couldn't stick a standard V2 gearbox and a nice motor in it.  

I found this picture on BCM website once. Well, in fact it was its single tone variation in background, but original looks like this.
I have to say, I've liked this setup a lot. Mid-length setups with traditional on-barrel front sight are very nice and interesting, while they seem to be kind of the bridge between good old M4A1, and something we my consider more modern configurations with longer rails, and low profile gas blocks...
394623_10150500038242737_2115791598_n.jp

...and yesterday I realise I own ACM copy of ARMS folding front sight. Hence this picture - please treat it as mock up picturing possible future modification of my LaRue AEG - after all I need classic front sight base, and Madbull's 14,5 inch mid-length lightweight barrel, instead of M4A1 I have installed currently:

10991966613_f44f312515_b.jpg

Who knows. Maybe one day I will even decide to do some custom multicam-ish paint job on this one. Cerakote most likely ;).

And here is my friend's PDW.
We decided to keep upper receiver black - fake bolt carrier, charging handle and metal half of stock pad were painted using 1:1 ratio mix of graphite black, and tungsten.
10991942353_ea7531bef9_b.jpg

10991819446_37c9be42dd_b.jpg

I was sceptical about tungsten. But I am not anymore ;) and I have to say my friend's idea of using this color on this little devil was very good.

Edited by MRF
  • Like 2

@MRF:

If that ACM arms folding fsp is acceptable in quality, then I think that would be pretty cool with that setup you described. ;)

Well, I could cerakote it the same way I did those few parts on PDW above, but if barrel parts are at stake, I'd rather stick to steel parts. This folding sight is merely some zinc alloy. So it may work for a while as a temporary solution.

More KAC spam! :D

Needs a DBAL in Tan IMO plus a SF dual switch.  What do you guys think? :D  I'd rather use the Noveske KEYMOD mount for the m600 but no one has a replica and they cost too much for me to justify running a slicker mount right now :(

Is that torch just an M620V head on a scout? Or can you buy them in that configuration?

Minor tweaks for my workhorse CQBRs: 

SDC10723.JPG

WML and Eotech replace the M720V and SpecterDR on the block 2:

SDC10729.JPG  

Customized a dual switch for the DBAL and Surefire, and went back to the original scout mount so both can be quickly removed for daytime ops.  I'll probably replace the SRS with a standard Aimpoint:  

SDC10728.JPG

Edited by kojak
  • Like 2

I found this picture on BCM website once. Well, in fact it was its single tone variation in background, but original looks like this.

I have to say, I've liked this setup a lot. Mid-length setups with traditional on-barrel front sight are very nice and interesting, while they seem to be kind of the bridge between good old M4A1, and something we my consider more modern configurations with longer rails, and low profile gas blocks...

394623_10150500038242737_2115791598_n.jp

... *snip*

Is that Pat "Big Fat Moose Cock" Rogers ? :D

(considering his head gear says Pat on the side and he looks alike, I would say, yes, yes it is.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lUHm34hksac

Epic clip...

Edited by NonEx
  • Like 1

Is that torch just an M620V head on a scout? Or can you buy them in that configuration?

Ripped it from my M620V clone that Night Evo makes (body is the old Element SF m600c clone).  As far as I know Element haven't 'released' their OEM version of it but they've now changed their rear tail switches to the same ones that NE uses.  If I see just the head on sale or if Element release the m620v/m600v with the correct SF trades I'll let you know :P

Ah.  I thought as much.  I've been planning to do similar.  Cool that Element now use the same rear tail.  That would be most excellent as I have no desire for the M620V body.

Word of caution though; don't expect the retailers to be stocking the new ones.  I'm in HK so I can always check in the retail store before purchasing but I would think there's still a lot of old SF clones in the shops.

Also, the Vampire head has a delay regardless of whether you're on white light or strobe mode.  It's like 1/2 a second....it's noticeable :(  My guess would be that there's a LOT of resistance in the Vampire head itself.  If you can't live with that I don't think any of the current clones would be something you want to purchase.

Just a heads up if you're looking into getting the m620v :)

Yep, I know. Sadly, it's almost impossible to copy rollmarkings without an industrial press, a special support, and a specially-cut die, which would (for me at least) be prohibitively expensive, probably trademark infringement, and extremely difficult to have made. My guess is that Colt rollmark their receivers as forged blanks - imparting the kind of pressure you'd need to rollmark 7075T6 to the thin walls of a magazine well would crush the receiver - and of course, my Laylax lower is not only not forged 7075T6, but it was cast with its magazine well formed so the material is already very thin. Even my Inokatsu, which was licensed by Colt, doesn't have a rollmarked receiver - its markings look to have been diamond-dragged, which I also tried today - it produces the correct 'lip' of displaced material, but it just isn't deep enough for me, because this receiver will be blasted before hard anodizing, and I don't want the blasting to completely erase the markings, so the shallow (albeit very nice) markings left by diamond dragging just aren't good enough.

TBH, I don't think it's possible to properly recreate a 'rollmark' without an enormous amount of work. The only thing I can think of is to do it as a multi-stage process; first blasting the receiver, then diamond dragging it under very high pressure with a special 'not quite perfect' tool path to make the necessary 'mistakes' most Colt rollmarks display, and then possibly using a spindle cutter to make the deeper edges typical on Colt logos.

This is a test - you can see (owing to a cross-hatched toolpath) that the rear legs of the rampant colt are merged and that the centre of some of the letters (the As, noticeably) are overlapped and removed. I'm going back to my graphic designer to have the vector drawings redone for single-line toolpath work, and we'll see what the results of that look like. Also, if I'm honest, I like the neat and accurate look - Colt would engrave their receivers, I suspect, if they weren't so tight-fisted!

goodness my m4 (probably another mk18 project) has been on going for almost 2 years now.. lol in the mean time I have slowly starting to purchase viper guns... I will say, the color is much more accurate than the inokatsu now, and the brass deflector is much more accurate. Between this and a 2011 inokatsu, Definitely 100% go with viper..

Edited by Finbarqs