AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

Problem is SocomGear/Madbull are designing their rails with with the upper section not milled out with the specific intent of preventing the use of a gas tube. It's not an oversight. It's done on purpose to be different from the RS version.

You'd probably be right on. I should have put a (unless MadBull *fruitcage* ed it up like out-of-spec rails) disclaimer on my post above. :bounce:

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

KWA/KSC PTS LM4 - Madbull Spikes Tactical BAR 9", first MB rail I know off that, without modification, you can fit a fake gas tube onto.

Perhaps I'm coming late into the conversation and am missing something, but I know the DD Omega and Omega X rails allowed a fake gas tube.

but I know the DD Omega and Omega X rails allowed a fake gas tube.

There is a pop rivet that is placed to block the channel. Just snip it with a pair of dikes & your good to go.

Maybe MB changed it or what he got was a fluke, hope its the latter.

My MB Omega X doesn't allow a tube, there's a rivet right across the inside of the 12 o'clock rail just in front of where it would transition in to the upper. Probably just different production runs though.

Sadly between that rivet, the nasty, tacky, weak grey surface finish and the massively too-fat rails, it put me right of Madbull RISs for the foreseeable future. It'll mean a bit more saving up but I'll be sticking to RS (or ACM if it's a less fancy gun) from now on.

G&P Troy CQB Carbine GBBR M4

Before as an SBR:

IMG_0627.jpg

Now as a Carbine:

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

PICs of RS MRF w/fake gas block & gas tube installed. As you can see, its hidden pretty good but its in there.

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

With flash:

IMG_0737.jpg

Cerakote Burnt Bronze on that third one?

I've been trying to decide what color to cerakote my second PredatAR. Thinking Patriot Brown rather than FDE.

I plan to buy patriot brown and Magpul FDE next month and to try some mixing of those two. Mix of PB and burnt bronze could be interesting too.

Perhaps I'm coming late into the conversation and am missing something, but I know the DD Omega and Omega X rails allowed a fake gas tube.

My old Omega X (circa 2010 maybe) required modification. The channel/ groove that the gas tube had to pass through had a good 4mm or so of metal left un-machined from it at the end. I had to take a dremel to it (ruined several bits) but I eventually got it on. Maybe production has changed, but it seems that the off spec rails have stayed, so who knows.

• Like 1

My old Omega X (circa 2010 maybe) required modification. The channel/ groove that the gas tube had to pass through had a good 4mm or so of metal left un-machined from it at the end. I had to take a dremel to it (ruined several bits) but I eventually got it on. Maybe production has changed, but it seems that the off spec rails have stayed, so who knows.

I ordered 12,5 inch RIS II, so I hope that lack of channel for gas tube in screw mounting plate of MB RIS II series, remained the only feature preventing from installing them on real firearms... Luckily drilling a single hole is not that hard to do ;).

My buddy's KWA LM4:

razorlm4painted01.jpg

razorlm4painted02.jpg

He went a little heavy on the upper receiver weathering in his quest to make the gun look like his RS AR15. But he generally likes it which is all that matters. The cleaning rod strapped to the side of the gun is a trick he picked up from a class with Kyle Defoor a while back. It's a pretty great shooting gun.

• Like 3

Care to enlighten us on Defoor's logic, I haven't seen anything on his blog about that? Does the weapon jam enough to warrant carrying it, is it just for cool guy points, or something entirely different?

Edited by frogfish

From my understanding it's done for efficiency and expediency. When things go bad and your gun goes down you don't want to waste precious seconds breaking out your cleaning rod, screwing it together etc etc. I think that's the logic anyway. Not something I do personally, but it makes sense to me. Every current and former SF dude I've come across has their own tips and tricks that they've picked up over the years. Things they've deemed necessary for their personal survivability. They don't all see eye to eye on techniques, strategies, etc. C'est la vie.

As for needing a cleaning rod often enough to need it strapped to your gun ... hard to say. I shoot on average between 1,200 to 4,000 rounds a month of 5.56mm alone. I've needed a cleaing/unjamming rod *maybe* 3-4 times over the last few years. That said, I'm not shooting daily or carrying daily. I'm not using these in a hostile environment, down range like my life depended on it everyday. I'm not using the same weapons, or ammo, or under the same conditions both situationally and environmentally as these guys are. So I'm not in a position to even begin to conjecture the validity of something a former seal deems important. That said, I can't see a down side to having that on there.

Edited by uscmCorps

The following parts are RS:

• Aimpoint Micro H-1 w/ LaRue mount

• Troy 13" BattleRail

• Crane Stock

• Troy front BUIS and KAC rear 600m BUIS

• SF M300A with SF dual tape switch and HSP Dropwing and IR filter

• Vickers sling

• Generic steel cleaning rod

Rather than post a new topic, I'd rather ask here, and ask for any lengthy answers to be PM'd to me: I want to get into a GBBR platform within the next year or so. Which brand do you all recommend? I would want the same as anyone else: reliability, compatibility, semi-affordable.

Edited by Leon Kennedy

Every current and former SF dude I've come across has their own tips and tricks that they've picked up over the years.

yep, I've just never seen or even heard of it being done, and I know more than a few guys who've worked the same field as Kyle Defoor, I just figrued he picked it up from someone crusty who needed an easy place to carry something like that on a LRRP rather than DA. I know a few EOD guys who carry tools like probes that way though so I can see a simmilar logic as it is an odd shapped device to carry.

It just seems odd as needing a cleaning rod rather than a bore snake is a sign of a significant problem, not something I would consider field expiedient, but if your desperate every advantage counts.

Now is your friend doing this on his airsoft gun to mimic his personal weapon or? I have seen a LM4 in the field for a total for 2 hours so I have no idea of the reliability of the platform .

however I know from personal expeience some of the tips form these guys defy logic, I know guys who use cardboard plates because they have to look like they are wearing plates but just don't want to carry that weight. I also know dudes who do some pretty strange things just because it works for them, things like cutting themselves out of thier plate carriers because they'd rather duct tape a shoulder strap together than adjust thier cummerbund, would I do that, no, would anyone else do that, probably not.

Rather than post a new topic, I'd rather ask here, and ask for any lengthy answers to be PM'd to me: I want to get into a GBBR platform within the next year or so. Which brand do you all recommend? I would want the same as anyone else: reliability, compatibility, semi-affordable.

I've had my hands on many many GBBRs (gim and classic) I'd advise staying well away from a WA based weapon, my KJW M4 is a gen one and has seen more than a few rounds through it with less than $100 worth of reliability upgrades installed, cradle's new bolt looks very promising at solving the very few issues the gen2 has. I would also reccomend a KWA MP7, just be sure to loctite some of the screws in the bolt. If you are looking at classics a DTG is a very good choice as is an AS4L upgradded sunproject.

Edited by frogfish