AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

These are just my initial impressions, but I hope they prove useful:

• Overall build quality is excellent. I haven't found any loose fasteners and there is a minimal amount of wobble between the upper and lower receiver assemblies. The receiver pins are both the captive type, so no screws.
  • There is a little play between LMT stock and the stock tube, but that is also to be expected.
  • All three QD points are compatible with Daniel Defense and Midway Industries sling swivels (there's one on either side of the lower receiver and at the front of the hand stop).
  • The battery for the LMT stock has yet to arrive so I can't describe its balance and weight accurately, but using a DD sling swivel mount as a hanging point, the center of gravity is at the T7 position (stock fully retracted).
  • The gun is exceedingly light compared to the rest of the rifles I own at 5lb 3.3oz. I'm 6'2" with a lanky build and I find it to be very pointable, with the stock extended out the its 3rd position.
  • The included high capacity magazine is lighter than both my G&P medium capacity and TM standard magazines. Also, the magwell fit is pretty snug with the VFC and G&P magazine, with neither being able to drop free. The TM magazine dropped free regardless which release was used.
  • All controls (bolt release, selector switch, and magazine release) are ambidextrous and functional. The selector switch locks positively into position, though there is a little play between right and left selectors.
  • My only complaint is the use of a 600m rear sight. KAC's product literature show the SR-635 with a 300m rear sight, which makes sense for the range that the weapon was designed for. I have a spare KAC 300m-type rear sight that I will swap in.

Feel free to ask any more questions if you have them. I plan on subjecting the SR-635 to the "Afghanistan and back" treatment.

-Vic

Here are mine as of now; all G&P:

M4 and CQBR:

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

Mk18 Mod1:

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

Apologies for the crappy pics in advance. Also, here is my Chinese 553 that I painted to look like a real one. I'm quite proud of it:

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

It was originally almost all "gold". I had to paint the battery hood tan and the "inside" (?) black.

• Like 1

It depends on what kind of RIS it is. I'm not familiar with your particular model. If it is a one-piece, and especially if it uses a proprietary barrel nut, they you would definitely have problems. But I'm guessing that this is a two-piece, and that it may well use the standard delta-ring-style nut.

G&P receiver threads are different, so at the very least you would need a G&P barrel nut--cheap enough.

I'm also assuming that the rails fit into a "real-steel"-style delta ring (rather than the different airsoft style used in older TMs and JGs and ICSs, among others).

Edited by mimesis

is the CA cqbr RIS not just a drop in KAC replica? i think all youll need is the G&P delta ring assembly to fit your G&P receiver, although the only problem i can see is the the CA RIS will sit lower or higher than the G&P receiver RIS, as G&P is closer to Real Steel specs than CA.

Bear in mind however, I've purchased a couple of after-market G&P branded delta ring assemblies in the past (i.e. including the barrel nut) and the nuts themselves have always been normal TM spec, so I'm not sure how you'd go about actually getting hold of a nut that'll fit the G&P upper receiver threads.

E-mail G&P direcetly perhaps? Not sure how they are for responding directly to consumers.

Edited by CKinnerley

I've purchased a couple of after-market G&P branded delta ring assemblies in the past (i.e. including the barrel nut) and the nuts themselves have always been normal TM spec.

That's odd. By TM spec you mean the metric thread size, right?, not the older non-real-steel-style delta assembly that TM used to use.

I bought a G&P delta ring set (nut, spring, delta) off eHobbyAsia and the nut was definitely imperial.

That's odd. By TM spec you mean the metric thread size, right?, not the older non-real-steel-style delta assembly that TM used to use.

I bought a G&P delta ring set (nut, spring, delta) off eHobbyAsia and the nut was definitely imperial.

Yeah I'm not sure how to explain it to be honest. Not to teach any egg sucking, but here's the exact product I've purchased a couple of times before:

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=searchItem&item=GP-PT-DRS&search=special&rs=delta&catid=&cat=

I've bought these from WGC and eHobby before, possibly 1-2 other retailers as well. I've used them on multiple TM SOPMOD series EBBs, G&P WOCs, an AGM GBB M4, the 'Action' AK to M4 front adapter kit and my 6 year old Classic Army 'M15'. I've also tested/fitted a few different things on to those guns themselves, including an Element 12" Novekse rail and another King Arms barrel nut.