Ares/ Umarex G36

I purchased an Ares/ Umarex G36 about a year ago (some might say that was a mistake). When it arrived I tried it out using all of the standard parts and it worked fine. As all of my other gubs were running LiPo batteries (all 7.4v), I decided to change it across to match. I changed to a deans connector and attached a LiPo to test. All went well. I put the gun in its bag and merilly went off to a site looking forward to a game with my new gat. It chrono'd fine and was coming in at around 320 fps 9out of the box). this is when the trouble started........

As i went out to play the first game, i test fired the gun and had that horrible sound of meshing gears - game over!!!. the gun was put away unil i got home and cheched it out. It had indeed shredded the primaty gear (which was of a cheap cast material). I contacted Ares and was advised that it was my fault because I had connected a LiPo battery tot he gun and it wasnt designed to take a LiPo (despite it being a lower voltage - but more efficient).

Sadly I have had to change all of the gears in it.

Next came the air loss, it took a while to find it but the pressure dissapeared. this turned out to be a slightly chipped nozzle. nozzle replace and away we go.

Some will say its my fault for uprgading to LiPo, buying an Ares or perhaps buying on friday 13th.......

the moral of the story - Beware Umarex (mine might be the odd one out)

The general concensus is that the Ares/Umarex G36 has great externals, with more realistic construction and takedown than all other makes of G36 AEGs, but the internals are below average.

Personally I've been interested in getting a G36 for a long time now, and I'd certainly get the Umarex because quick and easy takedown is important to me. I'd just give the internals a good seeing-to out of the box (which I do with all AEGs anyway, even the internally excellent VFC XCR didn't meet my demands and had parts adjusted or replaced before being used).

In my eyes, using a completely stock, unopened AEG is risky business. It's kinda sad that the airsoft manufacturers don't just set up their AEGs properly at the assembly stage:

Set correct Angle Of Engagement;

Install piston that is not made of cheese;

Get the shimming right;

Install MOSFET like JG do/did with many of their models;

Round the cylinder window corners on V2 mechboxes.

With those factors in order, I'd actually be comfortable using a completely stock gun (as far as the mechbox goes, and depending on spring strength).

• 4 weeks later...

I have had my ARES G36 for a few months now and I WISH I NEVER BOUGHT IT!

As Utty said, the exterior build quality and realistic takedown are awesome, other things like the quick spring change and trigger switch are great features.. BUT

The sights are a pile of sh~t, i have the dual optic version.

The red dot is useless, very fuzzy and dull making it nearly useless in daylight conditions and not much use at night. Plus it drains the batteries even when turned off!

The magnifying scope is clear and has nice markings but has poor eye relief and worst of all is set too far to the left with not enough adjustment to correct it, ie; on full adjustment the gun is firing about 3 feet to the right of the sights center of aim at about 30 feet distance.

Hop unit. This has broken with the gun only having fired about 600 rounds.

The hop unit has 2 lugs on the front of it which fit into slots in the outer barrel, its slid through the 2 slots and is then turned 90 degrees, the lugs then hold the whole thing in place.

The body of the hop unit behind the 2 lugs is very thin and has a slot cut into it, this is a weak point and is exactly where mine broke, this leaves your hop unit free to move too far backwards making it missfeed and possibly causing dammage to the air nozzle.

Another problem with the hop unit is that it is held level by part of the mag well pushing up against the bottom edges of the hop unit as you fit the mag well onto the gun.

There is a gap between these 2 parts on my gun so instead of being held vertical (essential for straight shooting!!) the gap allows the whole unit to move a few millimeters from side to side, this makes the guns groupings terrible when fired.

Im sure there will be more hidden nasties waiting to go wrong with this gun but i have had very little use of it as the gun has been back to the shop a few times and is there again right now so any longer term glitches havnt come to light (ie gears etc)

As soon as it is fixed and comes back from the shop it will be being sold, ASAP!

All in all its a lovely looking gun which feels great to handle but will need some MAJOR tlc, a differant sight and a sh#tload of luck to make it reliably skirmishable.

Al

Am i the only person here with an Ares G36 that is happy with their purchase? I bought a G36 several months ago now, i have used it at 5 skirmishes bone stock, and i am super happy with it, it performs amazing. I use a 9.6 nunchuck and the ROF is good, the FPS is about 430 on .20's and i have been able to engage people almost to 250 ft.... needless to say i am very happy.

Now, your gear problems. That's just a weak part on the gun, the stock gears just don't last all that long. Now take from that what you want, but all guns have problems. My local shop i bought the gun from informed me of this, and told me that when it breaks they will fix it with no charge to me. So i think this just shows that before making a purchase some research is needed.

And as far as the eye relief, everyone who sees the guns says "oMg ROflHax TH3 3Y3 r3l13f SUX HOW U USE DAT!?!?" Well i am under 18, so i use a full paintball mask... i have no problem aiming down either optic on this gun and the 3.5x scope works great for me.

That's just my humble opinion... maybe my gun came out of a better batch then the one you received? Who knows, but i love my G36.

Well i am under 18, so i use a full paintball mask... i have no problem aiming down either optic on this gun and the 3.5x scope works great for me.

Man that surprises me! i wear a pair of ESS shooting glasses and i have trouble lining up with the magnifying scope making quick target aquesition imposible, and as i said, the faint fuzzy blurr that is the poor excuse of a red dot, i can hardly see the thing in normal daylight conditions! (and yes that is with brand new batteries!!)

Compared to my G&P ACOG the ARES sights are a pain in the a#s to use!

Next time you strip your gun have a look at the front of the hop unit and you will see the weak point i mentioned.

Also i would be interested in the results another check you could do for me, with the gun assembled, draw back the charge handle and reach into the slot that it slides back and forth in,

from there you can touch the top of the hop unit and give it a wiggle from side to side,

when i do this my hop unit moves a few millimeters in each direction, it would be interesting to know what yours does?

Al

Am i the only person here with an Ares G36 that is happy with their purchase?

I Have a G36c and I am happy too.:D

After 6 months, still going strong.

It seems most complaints come from the UK. Or am I just seeing things?

Also i would be interested in the results another check you could do for me, with the gun assembled, draw back the charge handle and reach into the slot that it slides back and forth in,

from there you can touch the top of the hop unit and give it a wiggle from side to side,

when i do this my hop unit moves a few millimeters in each direction, it would be interesting to know what yours does?

Al

I just did this test, no wiggle in the hopup, seems very sturdy. I would assume that Ares had a bad production batch that was shipped to your area? That's my only explanation at least.... sorry to hear that your particular gun was sub-par, as this gun is superb for me, in it's properly made state. If i was you i'd be ###### at Ares, i'd demand a new gun... for the price, you'd think it would function right, wouldn't you?

I just did this test, no wiggle in the hopup, seems very sturdy. I would assume that Ares had a bad production batch that was shipped to your area? That's my only explanation at least.... sorry to hear that your particular gun was sub-par, as this gun is superb for me, in it's properly made state. If i was you i'd be ###### at Ares, i'd demand a new gun... for the price, you'd think it would function right, wouldn't you?

How much do you guys pay for one State side?

I bought mine from Ehobby when they were giving a limited offer; 157USD excl. shipping.

How much do you guys pay for one State side?

I bought mine from Ehobby when they were giving a limited offer; 157USD excl. shipping.

I bought it from a local shop, 300 USD even, but the list price here is 370 normally, they cut me a deal though.

*should also note that i bought the full size G36 not the C or K edition.

Edited by Bobasaurus

Rogue Trooper, you said the dual sight are a pile of zhit, but the real sights are the same pile of ######. Its not ARES/UMAREX fault.

As for the hopup, i've never have any problem. My g36c is running strong since day 1, 8 months & 30.000 bbs ago, with only 2 little upgrades: a deans connector and a H nub, and allways using 7.4x1600x20c lipos.

So, i dont think they are bad. Lemons are lemons.

Lemons are lemons.

Thanks for testing at your hops guys!

God dammit!

Maybe we did a consignment of lemons here over here?

As for the sight mate,i know what you mean about the RS optic, thats why the binned it in favour of this interesting setup... do like!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/g36kidz.jpg/

The ARES sight is still in my opinion a very poor sight, especially the red dot,

Its a shame as the finish of the gun IS superb, and they have put some thought into the guns design but i feel they missed the mark with the dual optic sight and the iffy internals!

Al

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bought a used Ares/ Umarex G36C used on craiglist with Intellect 8.4v 1600mah battery and 5 mags for $200, and other than me ripping off the charging handle when yanking on it hard several times when doing speed reloads, and the fact that a few screws come loose on the gearbox after a while, I have to say I am happy with mine. I read reviews talking about the amazing externals and the bad internals, so I knew what I was getting myself into and purchased lots of spare internal parts on craigslist for all my AEGs.

By the way, did I mention craiglist is a bargain for finding used airsoft parts? :P Seriously, check it out, I got 5 AEGs and bunch of parts, accessories, and mags for less than ~$500 over the course of a few months, including $80 A&K M249, $200 Ares G36, a beat up ICS MP5, and a few JG M4s. Make sure to check out and test them before buying, got ripped off once <_<

• 4 months later...

I have now replaced all of the internals to the gearbox and rebuilt it from scratch, what a surprise it works. Answer, buy it and spend loads of cash on spare parts before you fire it.i have to say thoughi bouht a k outer barrel and i like the ability to change from long to carbine

• 6 months later...

I own a g36c umarex/ ares version and can honestly say that it has been the most unreliable / temperamental and stress inducing gun I have ever owned .

It now sits on a wall and Dosnt get used as I know as soon as I pull the trigger and fire it something else will fail/ break or jam

Fom day one this gun this gun was awesome but little did I know what was to come

3 motors failed . Under warranty

2 trigger switches

Hop unit . Cracked

And then the icing on the cake , major fps drop

Found to be a shim imbedded in the piston that had scoured the bore .

Blowback unit failure

Stripped gears

All this in just over a year and I really take care of my guns !

Never again shall I buy ares as a brand as their quality for the money they charge is an absolute joke nowadays

The real thing that bugged me even more is that I brought an src g36c at the same time as my son wanted a g36 and although costing half the price this gun has been flawless , not one issue failure or problem at all !!!

Ares should sort out their internals as every tech I talk to absolutely hates the weak internals and rubbish trigger switches and weak gearboxes / motors fitted to all of their guns

Wish I had known this before I wasted my hard earned on one of their products ..

Edited by Baddbaz