An opportunity not to be missed

Mud Puppy

You may or may not have heard of "Hunteering." For those that haven't, it's a niche Sport, focusing on the thrill of the hunt with a little twist - you're both the hunter and the hunted! You and equal opponents stalk each other over extended periods whilst attempting to complete complex navigational exercises, either using airsoft guns or cameras to score points. For more background, or for anyone interested in learning from the masters of stealth, check out the guys who invented the sport www.sixmmhunters.110mb.com

For those of you who know what Hunteering is, you probably know who Phantom is and about the almost mythical team of 6mm hunters. What you may not have seen is the forum that's been running for the last eighteen months (www.pursuitoutdoors.lefora.com), and that some of us have been talking to them about passing on the knowledge first hand.

Well you lucky people, the 6mm Hunters are considering running training courses in Hunteering, to open the doors and teach us mere mortals in the UK how to play their game (I feel like there should be a fanfare there or something). The question is, are enough of us willing to step up? Opportunities like this don't come around very often.

Field Hunteering

Let's be clear - this is not Airsoft. It involves very little shooting and it's an extreme sport designed by very experienced hard-core gamers to be hard. It's rough, wild camping for two days, in all weathers, with minimal kit. There is NO safe zone, the only way out is to pack up and go home (you are not allowed to rejoin a game once you have left the field) and it continues no matter what the weather. Only a safety or medical emergency halts an event. A standard game lasts 30 hours and you don't stop for a brew and a chin-wag – social it is not. It's more a combination of orienteering and hunting (hunt-eering, get it) done over an extended duration to bring physical and mental endurance into play. Your prey and your predator are highly skilled people pushing themselves to the limits in a game where a single point can be the difference between winning and losing. Not for the feint-hearted!

What's on offer

What's not on offer is rocking up to play against the 6mm hunters in a Hunteering match. These guys are a private team who play amongst themselves because they've known each other for years and are all at a similar level – you have to qualify and be invited to that kind of table.

What is on offer is a chance to attend weekends in either the north of England or North Wales, being instructed and guided in the rules, tactics, equipment and fieldcraft required to be able to play. A reasonably high level of fitness will be expected and you will be tested on the course. Put it this way, Phantom is a fell runner…

Previous experience is not essential but having the right mindset/perspective is. You will need the money asked for upfront (niche sport = not cheap ~ £80 to £100), the minimum kit list specified, strength of character, determination and ability to learn/work in a team in harsh conditions.... along with a set of balls of course (6mm, and the ones in your trousers).

The weekend will include instruction and then practical application sessions, on various subjects such as Hunteering rules, navigation, concealment and working in pairs. The practical sessions will be scored based purely on results (not judged by the instructor) and will include King of Field and Cross Country (a night navigation exercise). If you achieve a certain score you will graduate as a Hunteer and be eligible to enter future Hunteering events as a 'junior' Hunteer, able to play in pairs only initially. But bear in mind Field Hunteering is designed to be the hardest skirmish sport these guys could come up with. The required level of play is of the top level, it is extreme and some would say elite – don't expect to pass first time.

A short game on the second day will also be included, but will not go towards your score - purely for enjoyment and to put all the learned skills into practice.

For any of you who've ever been on a survival course or anything similar, you'll know it is money well spent as these types of events stay lodged firmly in your memory and improve your knowledge in ways your average Joe just doesn't think about. I for one am as excited as a puppy with two tails that this could happen!

What do I get?

Nothing. I'm not in this for anything other than the fact that without enough like-minded people coming together, this just won't happen and I'll never get to play. Phantom is looking for the few people who can enter this sport AND enjoy it. Getting a new group of such people together in one place/time has proven impossible so far, but if at first...

A quote from Phantom when asked about how to get people into Hunteering:

"The main thing to emphasise to new people is that the sport is based on stalking and fieldcraft, rather than gun play. I have seen a great many players over the years, but only a handful ever really came through as being dedicated Hunteers. Others would find it dull to be be in a game with such little contact/shooting. My advice is to not wrap the activity up in cotton wool and make out that it is something that it isn't. You need independent players who will rise to the challenge, rather than ones that won't go the duration of the endurance game.

Don't just look for Airsofters, instead look for orienteering players, survival/campers, mountaineers or other competitive players or sportsmen. Players need that air of competitive sport to drive them over the finish line."

Duffy on Manc-as asked a very good question:

"Lets be honest, most airsofters dont have a high level of fitness.

Does that mean that no one really can give it a go? There must be at least a beginners event?"

I'm no spring chicken, but with a couple of months training I've managed to go from not being able to run a mile or do ten press-ups to passing the fitness test for Stirling selection (although I did throw up half way through). I think it's more about being someone who has the desire to get into something new and more difficult than your average Sunday skirmish. There's nothing wrong with those days, I love them, but if you want to have a crack at something more extreme that offers something different to things like milsim, then I think this is definitely something to look into.

As to a beginner's event, I've made it clear to them I haven't done anything like this before and they're happy enough to take me on ;)

What I wouldn't want to do is give people the wrong idea - it'll be hard and I'd recommend doing some map work, some target practice with a boltie, and some prep PT, but as my dad always says, "it costs nothing to go for a run, although being from Nottingham, you do have to watch out for stray bullets..."

These are the only photo's Phantom has of the site. Apparently it has some amazing features including a wild quarry and these pictures do not do it justice. This is the best site they have access to for a beginner event/course.

S6003730.jpg

S6003721.jpg

S6003720.jpg

S6003719.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So from what you have said above it sounds like a massive game of cat mouse that never let's up, where you might need to run for long distances over a period of time and then set up a camp in some harsh conditions.

Id love to give this a go, family permitting that I can go mid ssinf for 30 odd hours and be uncontactable while I'm there.

Personally I think this might work better with the cameras though, as airsoft sniper rifles means you have a range of what, 90 meters on a good day ? Or am I missing the point that you are supposed to be in close proximity to the enemy but just not be able to see them ?

i beleive they do it somewhere in north wales? might be wrong but im sure thats what was said

They have a couple of sites, one in North Wales, one somewhere in North Yorkshire - anywhere with North in the title I guess! I just thought with you being in North Wales you might know it if you asked Phantom/The Bushman

I think I need to try and distil how many people actually want to sign up for a weekend training thing, think we might have enough if everyone who's expressed an interest is serious.

p.s. Four Leaf, I too am not sure how well the missus will take to me being incommunicado for 30 hours, but as long as she doesn't need me to bring her fuel when she runs out or to catch one of those really deadly spiders we get in the UK, I'm sure she'll cope.

think we might have enough if everyone who's expressed an interest is serious.

I lied, still need about four more - if you're reading this, ask your local sniper if they've read this thread - think of it as a public service

This is interesting. We have "recondo school" here in the northwest that's probably a bit similar, and Hatchet Force Team Challenge which is much more intensive, but I'll have to see if there's more events like this around the states. I'd love to do more of this sort of stuff that tests a broader spectrum of skills.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Don't mean to bang on about this but they're trying to estimate genuine interest in their first public event and this is the format they have proposed. For the more experienced of you here, I think this will be more of an introduction to the sport of Hunteering and it's different disciplines than training, but that's perhaps semantics. Get in on the ground floor of this exciting new sport and give your comments http://pursuitoutdoo...nteering-event/

"Well, I know you all want to do FIELD HUNTEERING, but my experience is telling me I should run a training course first.....it would still include gaming of all the different disciplines.... with 5 trophies available.

DAY 1.

Introduction to the concept and rules.

Camo techniques and stealth (stalking and ambush)

Zero guns followed by TARGET COMP & KINGFISHER CHALLENGE (pistol shooting against the clock).

Working as a pair (including communication and spacing)

KING OF FIELD (stalk and shoot the target)

Hunteering style campcraft

Navigation relevant to Hunteering

CROSS COUNTRY HUNTEERING (lasting into dusk) maybe including being hunted by dogs.

Team building & rest (with optional night game). Discussion.

DAY 2.

FIELD HUNTEERING (yes, the second day would be a full game from early doors).

Discussion and analysis plus final scores and award ceremony.

Players would earn their ANTLERS badge if they reach the required standards to be competent and safe. This qualification, would make them a HUNTEER and allowed to attend future full on events of all disciplines.

My experience tells me that many different standards of players will come through the gates; some of them not capable of being fully self sustaining in this hard type of gameplay. This training course would ensure players are at the required level of knowledge and ability to attempt a true Hunteering challenge that enhances everyone's experience rather than waters it down.

I know that is not what you want to hear, but trust me, it's the best approach and will pay dividends in the long run. Getting together and creating bonds and trust as well as sportsmanship will be what makes Hunteering succeed and not be plagued by bad feelings/cheating or poor sportsmanship.

But, would you still be interested?"

• 1 month later...

Dates for this are now up on the Hunteering forum (join through our website linked below). Can hold the course, every 2 weeks :)

We can also do 2 day courses (1 day of fieldcraft and cross country and the second day is shooting disciplines.)

There is an article about it in the AIRSOFT ACTION magazine released today (thanks to Mud_puppy)

Good Hunting ;)

Archived