VSR cocking issue

harborne blue

Help!

Just fitted a full set of steel bits to my VSR and now it won't cock. I pull the bolt back but it won't slide forward.

Checked all I can think of but I cannot shift the bolt unless I take the gun out of the stock and loosen the screws holding the whole trigger mechanism on.

What the <fruit> have I done wrong?

A full set of steel sears: http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/Steel-Trigger-Set-First-And-Second-Sear-VSR-BAR10_AQQY5.aspx

Added a new piston and spring using the old (TM stock set) with no problems and the sears are a 'drop in' kit but now when I pull the bolt back, it won't slide forward.

Had a good think about it, but can't really say, as I have never had such a problem in any of the VSR's I have upgraded.

Have you over tightened the trigger mechanism? teh spacing/tension between the trigger mech and the reciever is critical.

I suggest the problem must be to do with the sears. Perhaps just take them out, and refit them for a start.

Good Hunting ;)

When did you put in the the spring guide stopper? Best to put it in before the spring/pistol/spring guide assembly.

Has the spring guide come undone - its in two parts and if it comes apart it can jam things.

You sure the spring is on the guide?

Take the cylinder out and see if the sear folds down ok and springs back up. Could be the trigger was rebuilt wrongly.

Other than rebuilding it I can't think of anything else. I'll sleep on it and post again if I think of something...

I've taken the trigger mech apart and put the original TM trigger sear back in with a steel laylax piston sear and now the bolt slides in and out (good) but the damn thing won't cock!

Pulling the bolt back, I can feel the spring compress but then the bolt doesn't catch - just flies forward.

What the <fruit> has gone wrong now?!

That's called slam firing.

Has several causes - did you check the spring guide is fully tight? Was the cause for someone else a few weeks ago. Also quoted here: http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/lofiversion/index.php/t154638.html

My Bar 10 slam fired when the trigger could move down because the screw that held it on pulled out the thread. If the trigger mech can move down - or its not attached as solidly as it should be it can slam fire.

Did you upgrade the spring guide stopper? Take it out and have a look at if not. If the circular hole is now oval then that could be the cause.

Have just read over lubing can also lead to slam firing but I find it hard to believe - but you never know: did you put loads of grease on?

I can go on and on. Google VSR slam firing and do some research is you best bet.

• 2 weeks later...

I've removed all the upgrade parts and re-installed the original piston, spring and stock TM sears. The gun fired a couple of times then started slam firing again so I stripped it down and checked the sears - they have some wear but look solid so I don't think it's that.

What I did notice is that the trigger seems to do nothing e.g. when manually moving the sears, it doesn't catch on anything. Is this normal?

I also noticed that the pull / travel adjustment grub screws were unbalanced and that I have a much larger spring in front of the trigger than at the rear. Again is this normal?

I've tried three piston sears now (two steel) and don't think that this is the issue - I suspect the trigger but am at the end of my technical expertise.

Can anyone offer any advice / assistance?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived