TM VSR 10 Tunung Advice (PDI or Laylax)?

The Chrome Avenger

I have just recently purchased a TM VSR 10 G spec and need some advice on tuning it! Firstly I have read all the vsr tunung guides but I would like some advice from someone who has fitted various set ups to a vsr so I get a true opinion on what works best for the money.

I have fitted the PDI 1st and 2nd sear to the rifle and now want to upgrade the cylinder, piston, spring, and spring guide.The reason for upgrading the cylinder is so that I can set the standard cylinder up for 350 Fps and I can use it on some of the sites with low limit fps. I would like to know if the PDI upgrades are worth the extra money over the Laylax counterparts?

I was thinking of fitting the PDI HD palsonite cylinder set to the rifle and was wondering has anyone fitted this to a vsr and if so was it worth the money, What spring would I require to get the rifle firing at about 500fps. Also could I fit the Laylax spring guide to the PDI set up, as generally people say the laylax spring guide is a better item than the PDI one !

Any info would be appreciated.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have only used LAYLAX parts in a VSR (other than PDI barrel spacers). I cannot compared them to PDI. Yet, I will say that my laylaxed rifle performs great (I hit the target consistantly)and I think that value for money, or bang for buck, goes with the PSS10 series. I doubt you will notice much difference in performance between the PDI or Laylax setups at 500fps.

I suggest the PDI parts are probably a better choice if you wanted a really high power setup (550-650fps).

I have seen many, many, people upgrade VSR rifles and sink silly money into them. Only to end up shelving/selling them and moving onto an AEG.

Sorry that doesn't help much, but something to be aware of.

EDIT: 150 spring will get you 500fps.

Good Hunting ;)

Thanks for your reply/advice. Iam now kind of thinking about a full laylax set up as it looks like it will come in relativley cheap! I don't mind sinking money into the rifle as I use it all the time and I enjoy the one shot one kill buzz !

Could someone please tell me;

Do you need to lube the laylax teflon cylinder before fitting the red piston etc ? and if so what lube,(Abbey silicone grease?)

Do you need to lube the outside of the cylinder before putting back into the rifle? and if so what lube,(Abbey silicone grease?)

Thanks for your reply/advice. Iam now kind of thinking about a full laylax set up as it looks like it will come in relativley cheap! I don't mind sinking money into the rifle as I use it all the time and I enjoy the one shot one kill buzz !

I would seriously reconsider where you spend your money then. Airsoft does not have 1 shot, 1 kill. Even on good days you'lll struggle. The simpel fact is, BB's are tiny, the slightest gust of wind, the smallest twig gets in the way. Also as soon as you are spotted, you'll get bursts or hosed with BB fire back.

I'd just think carefully before sinking money into a good sniper set up then realising that it isn't what you thought.

I would seriously reconsider where you spend your money then. Airsoft does not have 1 shot, 1 kill. Even on good days you'lll struggle. The simpel fact is, BB's are tiny, the slightest gust of wind, the smallest twig gets in the way. Also as soon as you are spotted, you'll get bursts or hosed with BB fire back.

I'd just think carefully before sinking money into a good sniper set up then realising that it isn't what you thought.

Indeed, having the best rifle, doesn't make you the best player. Lets be honest, it's about how you play. Having a gun that has range restrictions, tiny mags, very slow rate of fire and still only limited performance; means you are terribly disadvantaged. To make up for all the disadvantages; you have to out think your opponents. You MUST be elusive and not be detected as much as possible. In a straight firefight at typical ranges, you will be the one who gets hit most of the time.

Only a few players really make it with bolt actions and stick to them..... the ones who can get results. To be one of those, you must strive to be the best.

But the The Chrome Avenger, surely knows that, as he says, he uses the VSR, all the time.

I have one of the best reasons/applications to get the best parts; but even I, suggest they are ridiculous prices and stick to what I have got.

Good Hunting ;)

I know it is not 1 shot 1 kill, and most of the time it takes far more shots than that , I also know that the tiniest bit of a breeze means you have missed your target. I was just trying to get across that I like the challange of shooting people with the bolt action rifle as it takes a lot of skill and judgement to get accurate shots and follow up shots, it also leaves you with a good sense of satisfaction. It is very easy to rack up kills with an AEG on full auto but very difficult with a single shot springer. I have been playing with a standard TM G spec and found it very challenging, but I enjoy it. I know you can sink a shed load of money into a springer that is why I have been using it stock so I could see if I enjoyed it before spending cash. I also know once you get spotted you get peppered by the enemy and this is why I carry an MP5 as back up. There are very few people who are classed as "snipers" and I am most definetly NOT one of them, what I do is more of a shoot and scoot or just generally be very very sneaky. Sometimes I tend to like running about with my Magpul Masada for a few hours as it brings in new game dynamics for me. All I wanted was some advice on where to spend the sensible money, if there is such a thing in airsoft. I know in real world terms we are all firing plastic balls and it is not going to be anywhere as accurate as the target rifle I use, But hey I still want to make it as accurate as possible to try and get a slight edge over everyone with an AEG.

Do you think that sinking money into it will Not give me much more of an advantage?

Well ,the number of players we get on here, hey I want to be a pro sniper, get 1 shot 1 kill. Then a few games later, hmm actually this isn't what I thought it'd be.

In your case, have you thought of something similar to Bushman's Carbine G-spec? With a tightbore, laylax steel sear, and tougher spring you can comfortably carry that and a back up to use for shoot and scoot sniping.

The essentials for a higher FPS/Accurate VSR are a Tightbore, there's a LOT of talk over 6.03 or 6.01, a good one of either will do very well. I'd say a Nineball hop rubber (they're very good) you'll NEED a steel trigger sear, or it'll shear/strip/deform under any higher power spring.

Other than that, teflon taping the barrel/hop to get the maximum compression. Careful and tedious hop setting. Barrel Spacers and, if you're not a purist, you can use the end of the shortened barrel as an integral silencer by wrapping a layer of open cell foam around a layer of closed cell foam.

That would give youa short carbine length boltie to carry with a primary and use as an accurate shorter range sniper, while you scarper.

Hi whitehawksan,

I was just trying to get across that I was not one of the usual kids saying I wanna be a sniper ! just because they have played it on COD etc.

I fully understand the difficulty level involved in playing this type of role, and the limits of these waepons.

At the moment I have a TM G spec PDI sears fitted, and a firefly Hard rubber Ptfe mod Included. I have set up the standard internals of the rifle to fire at 350 fps so if I want I can use it on skirmish sites with limited fps. What I am now thinking of is a set up as close to 500fps so I can just swap cylinders as required.

I am thinking of Laylax teflon cylinder, Laylax red piston,laylax stainless steel spring guide stopper and I already own a Laylax 150 spring.Sears as mentioned already upgraded to PDI and I have made my own barrel spacers that seem to work ok. As for tb barrel I was thinking of a laylax 6.03mm. Would it make a big difference to accuracy if i was to fit a slighlty longer barrel. By this I mean fit the 430mm barrel instead of the 303mm barrel. I know if I fit the longer barrel I need to drill out the end cap of the barrel and support the berrel in the silencer, but if it doesn't make much of a difference I may aswell stick with a carbine type boltie and save some time.

As for the original post title, after hours of reading I think I will go with the Laylax upgrades as they are considerably cheaper and seem to get rave reviews, I can't now see justification in purchasing full PDI cylinder etc, and as it would be imported if any faults occur i cant really send it back!

Anymore advice would be appreciated.;)

A 150 spring will get you 500fps if compression is good.

I myself, would go with the 6.03mm 303. However, i do not own a 303 (other than the stock TM G-SPEC barrel). I do own the laylax 6.03mm 430mm and it is nice and accurate (consistant hits at 70 yards).

As I say, I think PDI is over priced and probably best for super high power 550-650+ setups.

As I said, you knew the limitations of bolties before sinking this money into it; so its fine. Just remember you may gain some effective range.... but will WILL lose some due to MED.

Good Hunting ;)

Thanks for the reply,and by the way nice vids, just been watching them on the tube

I myself thought the 303mm@ 6.03mm would be ok given that we are only firing bb's and the barrels are not rifled. If you own the 430mm did you modify your Gspec?

I was kind of thinking short barrel then if I wanted to I could use it with, the silencer off and set up for lower fps on sites that require that and it would be a nice carbine for closer fighting! with mp5 back up :D . Sorry to sound silly what did you mean by will loose some due to med!

You'll have an effective range of say 100feet (just for easy figures) due to MED (Minimum Engagement Distance - the closest you are allowed to fire a high powered weapon at someone) You will not be able to engage within 30feet. Meaning your effective range is actually 70ft, not 100ft.

Thanks for clearing that up. It was me just being thick! Yes I know about MED just hadn't heard the abbreviation!

What sort of realistic range do you think I will be able to get from a sorted vsr? I am not really sure as some people seem to have trouble gauging distance, and exagerate it greatly. Would we be talking man sized targets at 200 feet?

I recently sold an ARES WA2000 tuned to about 450fps, never skirmished so never got true full range due to length of garden but, in my bro's back garden and at a measured distance of 35m (115ft roughly) it was hitting a bean can probably 7 out of 10 shots, which didn't seem that bad to me! But I always felt I could do better with a vsr ?

Yes me thinks 400ft is like p@&&£@g in the wind. I am thinking that it should be good for a theoretical 200-250ft, if not a little more! I know wind, bushes/ folage etc mean all this could alter. Cheers chaps I will just have to go spend my Money now on the full Laylax set up. I will post results once I have fitted and tested it all. Any advice on fitting it would be cool, ie what problems to look out for! as for stripping down the vsr I think I can do this with my eyes closed as I have done it that many times.

Happy airsofting

Since you're going all Laylax, are you going down the sears and piston route or the Zero Trigger kit route?

Mine has a Zero Trigger and it was probably the best decision I ever made. It did take me a while stood in the shop to pluck up the courage to hand over my card though, its not a cheap purchase by any means.

Makes cocking faster and smoother though, and the trigger pull is about as light as it could be without being too light.

Don't forget that a (laylax) zero trigger comes with the piston as well so you're only paying an extra £30 or so for the trigger - the rest is for the sears and piston. Not a bad price really but yes £50 cheaper would have been nice.

I think if you tune it perfectly you could fit someone at 100m (300 feet) maybe 25% of the time. But the chances are the person would not feel it so wouldn't take it.

Most people say a 500fps bolty will hit 70m (210 feet) consistently. How consistently depends on the shooter and the wind conditions. Obviously the target needs to be still though. Hitting a running shot at that range is going to be very tough.

Now with a stock G-SPEC you are not going to hit 200 feet so I'd say the upgrades are worth it - if you enjoyed playing with the stock gun.

I've only actually played one game so far so I am still undecided.

------

However if you are going to get:

150 spring, 2 sears, piston, metal spring guide, new cylinder head, new barrel, new hop rubber

then you might as well get the zero trigger as well because what's another £30 on top of £200+?

You NEED to get good compression though - ie no air leaks. If people need 190 springs to get 500fps they must have TERRIBLE compression (or different companies use different numbers so we aren't talking about the same thing). A full day of pulling back a 190 spring instead of a 150 is going to leave you with a bruised shoulder.

Stll unconvinced about the zero trigger due to the cost and secondly and probably more importantly you don't seem to be able to get spares for it ! I have just been looking at the PDI trigger and if I were to go down the route of a new trigger perhaps that would be the one ! due to the fact if something was to break you could replace it.

Does anyone think a Pdi trigger would work with the laylax parts assuming I would not buy the red piston but the laylax 90 degree piston instead.I think for now I will forget about the trigger as I have just fitted new sears and just do the rest of of the bits I had previously mentioned, If I find that cocking the rifle becomes a ball ache then I may spend the money on the trigger.As of now I will be fitting;

1st +2nd PDI sears (already fitted)

Daiki Stainless steel spring guide stopper (already fitted)

Firefly hard rubber (already fitted)

Laylax 150 spring (Awaiting fitting)

Laylax Red piston.

Laylax stainless steel sprin guide.

Laylax teflon cylinder + cylinder head.

Laylax 303mm 6.03mm barrel.

Probably 4x barrel spacers ! 2x already fitted home made and seem to work.

All the usual PTFE tape mods.

Lightbulb stick with it ! I get a good buzz of getting kills with a bolty as it is very hard to get the kills.

Archived