TM VSR 10 Tunung Advice (PDI or Laylax)?

The Chrome Avenger

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick heads up! Still waiting for all my new goodies, so I can't do a review of upgrades yet. The shipment has been in customs a week! Don't know why, never had a problem importing my last two aeg's. Anyone recommend a good site for snipers? The site iam Playing at on Sunday say NO 500fps rifles, and they also say they are classed ad firearms! What's that all about.

• 4 weeks later...

Well an update for my project, The courier got in touch today to say I need to explain why i ordered my parts as customs have them and won't release them until I can prove why i ordered them and what they are used for. Sent off my explanation so hopefully !, I will receive my goodies in the next week? as they have been in customs since the 24-7-11.

The courier has told me they are clamping down on lot's of items now. I think it is easier getting a complete gun as opposed to the parts of a gun ! Still heard nothing, so I'm not holding out much hope at the moment as the items left HK on the 21-7-11, hit the UK on th 24-7-11 and they are still in customs in a London Airport.

• 2 weeks later...

Wa Hoo,

Received my goodies today, and about time too ! Well what can I say, Thanks guys for all the advice it has been very very helpful, and I will admit buying the zero trigger was a very good investment, if not painful on the wallet. You get NO resistance when pushing the bolt back unlike when you have the standard trigger set up. I have not yet set the rifle up, but I will hopefully be doing this at the weekend so I can zero my new scope. Well installing all the parts was a piece of cake and the most difficult bit was putting in all the barrel spacers, in the end I smeared them in Abbey silicone grease to get them in.

Here is the final parts list for my TM vsr 10.

Laylax TB barrel.

Laylax barrel spacers x 4.

laylax 150 spring.

Laylax Stainless spring guide.

Laylax teflon cylinder and cylinder head.

Laylax zero trigger and piston.

Firefly hard hop up rubber.

Scope JSR Leaper 3-9 x 40 mil dot.

On first impressions all the Laylax kit seems to be awesome and the rifle shoots so nicely, I can't wait to get it set up and chrono'd. The scope seems to be very good for a cheap £30.00 scope and the optics seem very clear. I'll try to get some photos up at the weekend as I have just ghillie wrapped the rifle ready for a hunting session.

Well i've uploaded 3 images of my new toy now it is finished. This is the finished item fully upgraded and covered in my homemade ghillie wrap, any comments on the ghillie would be appreciated as this is my first attempt and can be modified in needed. Really can't wait to get out at the end of the month and use this now so I can get everything settled in.Once again thank you all for the advice I have received, i did all my own homework on tuning this rifle before posting on here, but all the advice from you guys has been most helpful, and you have all helped me spend a load of cash in the right place and on the right bits..

TM VSR 10 3

TM VSR 10 2

TM VSR 10 1

I would put black electrical tape over the reciever, so as to cover the silver part of the cyclinder. Maybe consider some real tree cam tape to cover the black parts.

Add elastic bands to fit local cam on scope and alittle on the barrel. Also use that on the off side of the stock.

Make sure none of the cam you have fitted gets in your controls or in the way of muzzle or scope picture. Point the gun down and see if it hangs wrong.

Other then that, looks good for the coming autumn.

Good Hunting ;)

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys

Its been a while but I have managed to build and try the vsr, I chrono'd it and just want some advice please.Chron'd it with the hop off and got one set of results which were less than when the hop was on. There was an increase of about 40 fps is this normal ? I am currently using a 170 spring with the airbrake in and about 5mm smaller than standard, but if I remove the airbrake the fps increases by again by about 30/35 fps, do people leave in the airbrake. Do I need to grease the inside of the Teflon cylinder as atm it is not greased. Secondly what groupings are people getting, I can only shoot at a measured distance of 55 ft and the groupings are about 11/2", then at a measured 85ft they are about 2 1/2".

Anymore advice would be cool.

Loving the VSR though, full day skirmishing this weekend, happy days.

People have reported that putting hop up increases FPS. So its not a unique problem.

Now...

430 fps with 0.36 = 3.08 joules. Equivalent to 577fps with a 0.2.

----

Basically a 170 spring is too strong. I use a 150 spring and am on or just over 500fps (hop on). Easier to cock and legal on most sites.

• 3 weeks later...

Well still tinkering with the Vsr, but loving it. Really happy with the performance and Im just waiting for the hop rubber to settle in slightly. I managed to strip some of the threads off of the outer barrel and receiver so I have a PDI receiver and Light outer barrel coming in the next few days. I will be fitting a 430mm inner TB barrel ( Laylax ) and then I can see if the 430mm is any better than the 303mm barrel ( Laylax ). All in all very happy with all the mods, and the range seem to be cracking once the hop is set correctly. A quick note to anyone upgrading a Vsr to the same / similar spec as me DO NOT hesitate to buy the zero trigger it is money well spent, if / when I build another Vsr I will not hesitate to buy one again.

Final build details for my TM VSR Gspec.

PDI lightweight outer barrel, same dia as Gspec barrel, but pro sniper length.

PDI receiver.

Laylax 303mm TB barrel, ATM using Laylax 430mm TB barrel.

4 x Laylax barrel spacers.

2 x Homemade barrel spacers.

Firefly hard hop rubber.

Laylax Teflon cylinder and piston head.

Laylax 170 spring, Cut to suit.

Laylax Zero trigger and piston.

Laylax Stainless steel spring guide with bearings.

Harris style Bipod.

3-9 x 40 mil dot scope.

That is pretty much the exact setup as mine! 'Cept I'm using the soft hop rubber and modified 120 spring.

With the stock spring I was getting 360 fps! Site limit where I use it is 400 so you can imagine why I had to de-temper the end of the 120 spring to bring it down.

Just wondering if anyone tried R-hop on VSR rifles.

I can say for sure that they do magic in regular AEG but I never tried them in VSR based rifles(more due to not having one and never wanting one that does not look Russian :P).

• 2 weeks later...

Just got around to fitting my 430mm laylax barrel, with all my other upgrades, just from swapping to a 430mm barrel from a 303mm barrel my rifle is now chrono'ing at 570-575fps. I will spend today clipping the spring to get it tuned to 500fps. Through fitting a 430mm barrel I gained 50 fps or there or there abouts. I will be skirmishing it next week so I will see if the longer barrel has improved anything like accuracy over the shorter 303mm barrel.

Finally clipped this laylax 170 spring, cut off 4 coils and now the VSR is shooting at 495-500 fps, Happy days. I will be skirmishing it on sunday, so i will post some results of the new barrel length and set up compared to the old barrel length of 303mm and a 170 non-clipped spring. This will hopefully put my mind at rest !

Archived