'93 Delta Loadout

DahlTR

I was wondering what kind of gear was used during the 1993 Battle of Mogadishu. All I know is DCU, some kind of Protec,pre- PACA-like armor, and chest rig. Anyone mind filling in the blanks here? Also a type of pack would be great for this loadout is planned to consist of a Body armor and chest rig and pack! Thanks for your time- Craig

I would suggest M67 MLCE over Progressive Tech or AOA armor. An AWS chest right might also work. I would think most of the gear from that era was non standard and highly customized.

This type of look was really popular when the movie came out so I'm sure you'll find more details by searching.

The setup posted by RIXX is pretty close to the movie, with some embelishments (the Mk13 Flare, the bayonet and the odd dropleg). The blackhawk vest pictured is still available, however, if you look at the production stills Wildman1 posted from my blog site you will see that most had this customised to quite a degree.

BHD-BTS-035.jpg

Looking at the picture of Hoot (Eric Bana) above you can see that the vest has had all of the pouches removed from the front, it's merely there to privide a harness for the belt and drop-leg load, there is alos a large pouch tailored onto the back (gas mask?). Over the top of this he is wearing the classic Blackhawk 5.56 chest harness with the pistol pouches removed it seems. King arms do a good copy of this.

As to an Equipment list:

3 Colour BDUs (some RAID modified, others not).

PT Style armour, Guarder or Chinese copy... chinese one is only suitable for small guys as it's pretty short.

5.56 Chest Rig, Blackhawk or King Arms

Blackhawk vest, modified as above, or LC-1 Y harness as others used.

LC-1 Belt

M56 or LC-1 Butt Pack

2x LC-1 Canteen pouches

2-4x LC-1 Ammo pouches (depends on d-boy you are representing)

LC-1 Compass/FFD pouch

Blackhawk Drop leg holster

Pro-Tec Half cut helmet.

Nomex pilot gloves.

Sun, Wind, Dust goggles.

8 Hole knee pads, again Blackhawk, or any other quality gear manufacturere... or indeed clone.

The above should get you pretty close for a generic look. There is a lot of variation between actors and even during the movie the kit seems to change slightly! Shughart had an LBV-88 instead of the Blackhawk vest or Y harness.

Blackhawk were the official gear suppliers for this movie, so you can see it as a bit of a catologue for their equipment. However, the general feel of the kit is pretty close to what the d-boys used in Somalia.

zomg....real stuff? not from a movie?

picture courtesy Airborne & Special Operations Museum....yes...Delta too.

That museum display is as much based on the movie as it is on reality. PT armour is close, but not right based on the handful of pics that we have.

PaulHoweSomalia.jpg

Paul Howe (for those that keep abreast of such things) in Somalia, as you can see the film makes for a fair representation of the feel of the kit, without really getting too specific with details. I'm writing an article for the blog about Task Force Ranger in Somalia at the moment, paying attention to the smaller details. I'll post a link here when I'm done.

Paul Howe is wearing a TG Faust armor vest, not PT armor. Its a widely held misconception that the Delta assaulters wore PT armor. Ive seen a couple of these TG Faust armor vests on ebay.

Thanks, I knew it wasn't PT, but theres not much info flowing about the net on 20 year old armour models!

I't s great pic, and if you do some routing about the guy is pretty well known, but for the avoidance of doubt the second pic down is of an Air Force Combat Controller, not delta. I've always thought about runing that loadout myself, the M16A1 Carbine with the handgrips rotated 90 degrees is instantly recognisable and very unique (I don't think I've ever seen another example).

Archived