Which rifle should I get? Echo 1 M28, Snow Wolf M24, JG Bar-10, KJW M700, etc?

Payne06

Ok, I am looking at getting a decent performing sniper rifle. I have never played this role in a game (always grenadier, rifleman, or support gunner), but I want to give it a try. One of my friends had a JG Bar-10 and I liked it quite well. I have been out of airsoft for a while, but am looking to get back in it on a budget. I do not want this gun to become a money pit needing tons of upgrades and I end up with close to $1000 or more tied up in it like I did with my last few guns. I am wanting something that performs well out of the box and will be a very good bang for my buck. Can anyone make a suggestion? I have read some reviews on the Echo 1 M28 and it seems very promising. Also, is there any difference between the Snow Wolf M24 and the Echo 1 M28? I had also considered a KJW M700, but that is a gas rifle and I would rather have the reliability of a springer.

I owned a KJW m700 not too long ago. I sold it to fund a Tanaka. The KJW will get you decent range for around 300 dollars put in. It, however, will not be as consistent as a springer in the least comparatively. Even though I enjoyed it, I dont think I would recommend it. The best bet for the money I have seen (and used!) is the airsoft GI "g98" rifle. It is an upgraded UTG ShadowOps L96. I normally would not recommend lower end guns but for the price, it just cannot be beat. I zeroed a friends G98 and with .43's, I was getting consistent hits out to 275 feet. All I am saying is that with more money, you could most definitely find a rifle that looks and feels better, but for performance for someone just getting into the sniper realm, I just dont see that deal being beat. It is pre upgraded and I have not yet heard any horror stories of parts breaking. Give it a try.

I'd recommend a UTG L96. They are the best performing sniper rifle out of the box, and with a few DIY modifications, it will perform even better. They can also be upgraded to compete with other sniper rifles on the field, companies like Laylax and PDI have a plethora of upgrade parts out for them.

Does the UTG L96 have a plastic trigger case? If so, then that is the same type L96 my friend had (before his BAR-10) and the crappy trigger case broke and he never could get a replacement without having to buy another gun. I also do not really care for the look of the L96 style rifle. I am mainly interested in info from people who have had experience with the Bar-10, Snow Wolf M24, and the Echo 1 M28.

Does the UTG L96 have a plastic trigger case? If so, then that is the same type L96 my friend had (before his BAR-10) and the crappy trigger case broke and he never could get a replacement without having to buy another gun. I also do not really care for the look of the L96 style rifle. I am mainly interested in info from people who have had experience with the Bar-10, Snow Wolf M24, and the Echo 1 M28.

I have a M28. It is *not* the same as the Snow Wolf or the Javelin. It is a high performing rifle out of the box. After a good bit of use, the sears tend to give out, but that is not a too expensive fix, and an easy one, as it uses a VSR-10 sear set.

There are now after-market parts out for it for everything bar the actual hop-up chamber, which uses VSR-10 chamber *parts* but the chamber diameter is fractionally smaller.

If you're serious about the M28, find DRAGON64's thread on it on this forum and read it all the way through. He also put up a bunch of youtube videos. It's better than the Snow Wolf/Javelin but still ultimately ACM. Mine currently is verrry accurate and has high fps. I fully expect that eventually it will need some work. But if you want something close to a M24 inexpensively, I think it's a good bet.

DRAGON64 spends a good deal of time on the trigger assembly, so you'll find all you need there.

mimesis, thanks for the info! I'll definitely look at that topic.

Does anyone know if the thread adapter on the Bar-10 G-spec can be used with regular 14mm +/- threaded accessories? I am wanting to build an integrally suppressed replica based on this:

936full-poster.jpg

My plan is to reverse a suppressor back over the barrel, then slide a long metal tube over that suppressor to complete the look. The only potential problem I can see with the project is how to fit the hop up adjustment arm between the wider diameter barrel and the stock. I guess I will need to bend the arm out when I open the channel of the stock up more. I know the M28 will work with its thread adapter, but I am not sure about the Bar-10. Also, once upgraded, which would perform better? The Bar-10 or M28? The Bar-10 is cheaper than the M28, but there's a lot more parts available for the Bar-10. Also, when I start looking for upgrades, which should I get? "VSR" upgrades or the "APS2" upgrades?

Thanks

I have several VSR/BAR rifles and must say that as far as value for money goes, they are great guns. The BAR10 performs really well if you just PTFE tape the hop chamber and fit a firefly (hard) or 9BALL hop rubber. The only bad part on the rifle is the scope rail. Out of the 2 BAR rifles that I and my son use, they both have issues with the rail. However they were both second hand rifles and no doubt had some leverage put on them at some stage.

I have not seen the M28 or M24 but they sound similar to a BAR10. The BAR10 doesn't have different sized internals from the original TM VSR10 so are easy to source/choose parts.

BAR/VSR10's are money pits if you let them be.

You will find many many people want to be the "sniper" at some stage so, bury lots of cash into a bolt rifle. Then when they find that its not the rifle, that makes you successful.... far more about how you play.... they sell up to fund a super AEG lol. New players espescially want to be the sniper, but don't realise that to be most effective, you have to be near the top of the game and good at reading the game too. It's hard to do that when you have no experience.

My advice is to gamble on a second hand purchase from such players. They often have not had the parts long or put that much wear on the gun. Many of my guns are second hand, but shoot nicely with no issues. I have never really had a dud sold to me if I am honest.

The BAR10 and BAR10 G-SPEC we have, have both been great value at around £60 each. I suggest the G-SPEC is probably the nicer model and with it's stock 400fps, it can repeatedly hit 60 yard targets shot after shot (using cheap 0.30g)

My fully upgraded VSR only cost me £250 and was from such a player. He had basicly built it and then not really used it, in favour of his massive AEG collection. I just had to swap out the hop rubber and PTFE some stuff and it shoots very nicely.

I would not buy a rifle that was third hand if I am honest though.

OK it's a gamble, but had worked for me and could get you the "best bang for your buck."

As said, ACM guns are not as good in the long run as more durable Japanese rifles. Simply down to materials used. Threads can strip on clones, just becauase of pot metal and metal fatigue/flaws. Just something to be aware of.

Never overtighten any screw on an Airsoft gun and it will last far longer.

I also had a KJW M700P but it was never stable over a chronograph (shots varied massively) and as said despite having huge range, was luck to actually hit targets consistantly past 60 yards. I would avoid the KJW, it's nowhere even close to a converted Tanaka. The KJW mags are awful and the fact you need gas doesn't make it fit into your value for money requirements either.

I avoid L96 spring rifles as they have poorer hop designs than the VSR imo. I also think the excessive weight of all L96 models handicaps you even more, in a game that is already hard for the bolt action user.

Bolt action upgrade parts are simply a rip off, when it comes to value for money. Daylight robbery in fact.

EDIT: G-SPEC have their own specific thread size. It is not the 14mm, although you can get an adapter.

Good Hunting ;)

This should not hinder you from buying the rifle, they now sell metal trigger boxes that make the trigger assembly essentially a zero trigger - capable of handling 600+ FPS.

The Bar 10 is a good choice to add upgrades to down the line since it is a VSR clone and thus takes all the parts, but if your wallet wont allow for those expenses, take another look at the g98. Since the UTG l96 is being considered, it has most (if not all) you would need to get started in sniping. Now I know trusting shops to do the upgrades for you may be iffy, but give it a look. Here is the list of features.

"Features:

550+ FPS

Precision Engineer Heat Treated MK96 Sear Set (Made in USA)

6.01mm Extreme Precision Inner Barrel

Upgraded Piston

Upgraded Spring

Upgraded Spring Guide

2 Magazines

Bipod

Top Rail"

The sear set, Im assuming, takes care of some of the trigger durability problems to handle that harder spring. The barrel however, you may wish to change it to a 6.03 or even a 6.05 if I am not mistaken. But like I said, just a thought. My friend's rifle shoots amazingly for the price he paid for it. Im not too familure the spring sniper world, but I was impressed by its performance. Here is the link!

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=7962

Archived