KSC P226 (Full Metal version)

This is my first review, so go easy on any mistakes I make (like the fact I accidentally posted this in the GBB Rifles section at first :angry:).

There are a few pictures and I have tried and failed to resize them further in the post editor, but it should be fine.

Introduction

I purchased this gun from a shop at a skirmish site here in Thailand. They imported it from Hong Kong (this may have been via Redwolfairsoft.com, but I'm not certain). It cost 5000 Baht (roughly £100 or $170). Most local shops sell it for around 6000 baht and as it is not possible to import guns yourself, I felt I got quite a good deal. I also had the chance to hold both TM P226s (black and chrome) so I can compare them in terms of look and feel.

Unboxing The Gun

Comes in a stylist black box, which features no artwork. There is a shiny sticker which reads " www.kwa.com.hk This product is for sale and purchase in Asia only, except Japan and Taiwan". I presume this is because outside of Asia they want to be selling KWA M226s now instead.

Box.jpg

After opening the box and removing a sheet of clear plastic you'll be greeted by an 'Operator's Manual' which is all in Japanese (but with useful diagrams). Underneath there is the gun, one magazine, a hop-up adjustment tool and some usable bbs. One thing I should note is that the original box can hold 2 magazines, with the second being in the gun itself.

I also purchased a spare magazine at the same shop, having heard good things about them...

Externals And Ergonomics

When picking up the gun the first thing you'll notice is the weight. It has a very solid feel and is heavy, but not uncomfortable. It is pretty much fully trademarked- slide, frame, grips and even the magazines. The frame trades seem a bit shallow, but are still clearly visible. The stock metal slide has the trademarks in white which is nice, but lacks the realism of most aftermarket slides. The sights are all fully-dotted (even on top) and are very neatly attached. This version is missing the serial number on left side of the frame, seen on some models.

IMG_1420.jpg

The grips are not shiny and the stippling is better than on both Marui P226s. They provide a decent grip with or without gloves. Trademarks are featured on both sides, as per the real steel. The grip is at quite a steep angle and is of medium fatness (much more than a 1911, a little less than an M9). The ergonomics are good, with everything being in reach of the right thumb. The de-cocker is smooth and the slide release functions as expected. This being said the pistol is not ambidextrous and I am left handed, but for reasons like this I hold guns right handed anyway.

The frame itself appears to have a slightly brown tint. I am not sure if it is unfinished metal or why it is this colour, but it does look unique.

Performance

The accuracy is as you would expect from KSC, good enough for a sidearm. I do not know the FPS of mine as I have not chronoed it yet, but from what most websites say it is around 320 FPS @ 25*c with green gas. It terms of gas consumption it is very efficient with one fill of gas letting me fire of around 80 shots (at 30-35*c). I'm feeding it HFC134a for longevity and because it has similar pressures to green gas when used in hot weather.

**I will update this part when I have chronoed it and done some proper accuracy tests.**

Magazines

Magazine.jpg

KSC makes very good magazines. They are metal, like the gun, apart from the feed lips which are plastic. They are very tough, even with those thin base plates, and are made from one piece. As I mentioned earlier they feature Sig Sauer trademarks which are a nice touch. I dropped one of mine by mistake onto hard concrete ground and it remained fully functional afterwards (this picture was taken after it was dropped). They are not known to leak and the spring locks down for easy loading as well which will should save my fingernails :P

Conclusion

I'll post any problems I have later when I've used the gun a bit more. So far I am very pleased with it, especially after an initial slide cycling issue seemed to resolve itself with the help of some extra silicone/lube. Overall it is a good alternative to the KJW or if you want full metal, but don't want to pay for pricey metal kits to use on a plastic KSC or a Marui.

Boxandgun.jpg

Sorry for the lack or relevant pictures, if you want to see the gun itself more, see this YouTube overview (includes firing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWod11bbASA

That is our channel so (if I'm allowed to say this here) please subscribe! ;)

I chronoed mine at about 320-325 FPS without hop.

Your review is pretty much the same as the one I wrote in my team's website, kudos! :D

Yours looks like it has a black frame- does it?

I am a bit confused about this, as mine is brown coloured ( I've seen a few like it)... :o

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8Zxpe3F-Rp8/TivI-oNUVnI/AAAAAAAAANw/ZSCmzSKmrhQ/s640/IMG_1404.JPG

And I gave the wrong link on the review!!! That is not our teams video... its this...

Edited by airsofttactician226

Yours looks like it has a black frame- does it?

I am a bit confused about this, as mine is brown coloured ( I've seen a few like it)... :o

Yes, mine is certainly not that brownish. It's lighter than the slide, more like a very dark anodized gray.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Parts from the KWA M226 should fit the KSC P226 as well, so look out for those. As far as I know the Marui P226 is not compatible with the KSC.

If you want to get some more responses you could probably make a new post under the "Technical Discussion" section.

• 3 months later...

Mine has been doing well, but being a heavy gun it doesn't like the cold (near or at freezing temps). Mags don't leak and mechanical parts are behaving normally.

I've used it on propylene during the winter. That gas is held at more pressure so it helps with the cold, but it's still no CO2...

Compared with a Marui P226 externally it blows it out of the water, even on the plastic parts. The Marui is an excellent winter performer due to lightness though. I'd like to see how the KSC would do with its own plastic slide. Internally it benefits from a rubber change, although I'm using the original one and it's good enough for a secondary.

All in all a good purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

In Youtube video on top post, P226 looks like highly advanced EBB pistol. :D

It does sound strange in that video. Probably bad microphone/camera.

A last update on how it's holding up in hot (30-40°c) temperatures...

Performance wise it is still as good as when I bought it, works great with green or 134a (in a hot climate at least). Haven't had as much problems with cooldown as in other full metal pistols, which might be because of high gas capacity in the mags with the added efficiency of S7. The slide still sticks half-way back occasionally. This might be another temperature related thing, given that the tolerances on the slide are pretty tight. When I haven't used it for a few weeks it generally needs to broken-in again with a magazine or two and some lube before it is back in working order.

On the externals front I have had a minor, but still annoying, problem. The expansion/contraction of the metal going from a cold air-conditioned room to really hot outdoors a few times has caused both sights to come loose. Applied a very small amount of glue and it seems fine.

So it's been almost a year now since I got it, and all in all no regrets so far! :)

p.s. Aftermarket parts very rare, practically non-existant! But I did buy it with the intention of keeping it stock.