Go bags. Practical, real world, discussion.

ED-SKaR

Given the current news, I went looking around for info on real word, as opposed to airsoft specific, go bags. I was unable to find any threads on arnies about filling them, only the odd thread about gear IE what bag is best, not really what I was after.

I've been building one of my own:

notepad and pen

Written down family phone numbers and local police numbers on the first page.

2 days change of underwear, 1 change of other clothes.

blanket

bottles of water

food: tinned with tin opener or dried food in sealed packets.

Medical supplies: Now here is where my bag falls over, I've no medical training, but what should I carry to throw at someone who has medical training?

Is there supplies that are "fool proof" quick fix wound dressings as a temporary measure to help before people can be taken to proper medical care/hospital.

Please open discussions, as these kits can be really handy.

there is no good advice for this, no first aid kit will ever cover all eventualities however there are off the shelf kits that have some useful items. a filter for mouth to mouth that will prevent direct contact (in case you suspect drug abuse etc) wound dressings are funny, come in a number of sizes and with or without bandages, for those without Micropore tape is essential, sterile wipes and sterelising sprays are useful as are saches of suger. Burn treatments can be useful and these include the sprays (for surface burns and scalds) and ice packs (chemical ones) burn dressings are also available and some are very effective. pain relief medication, Analgesics like Paracetamol and NSAIDs like Ibuprofen etc its worth knowing that overdosing on either can have severe effects, they can be combined though you should check the packaging for contents as there may be more than one type in your chosen pack.

Clothing type I would pack things like blankets and fleeces and water proofs as you just won't know what the weather will do, small gas stove or hex burner tea bags and coffee again sugar (you cannot underestimate how much better you can feel with a hot drink if things are miserable) high energy foods and protein. a bag of whey protein, baked beans etc

Have a root around on EDCforums.com, there's a wealth of info on there which may help :)

Edit: medical kit wise, plenty of rubber gloves, and as above, CPR mouthguards too, and maybe some space blankets too.

As for food, instead of dried stuff, go with the boil in the bag type, which can be eaten hot or cold, as these don't need water for consumption. Energy/choccy bars too.

For meds, only put those in for yourself, to prevent any legalities later on (sad, but a possibility...). A handful of field dressings too, they may be overkill on some problems, but are easy and will cover different issues.

Clothes, I wouldn't really bother. You can survive for a couple of days if you need to in what you are stood up in, but some wet wipes and deodorant will help stop the pong a bit!

I don't really know what you are wanting to cater for though - bedding down at a mates for a day or so, or being out there and trying to help folk etc, items will differ.

Lastly, a cheap back-up mobile with a PAYG sim card, important numbers pre installed, and the charger for it, in case yours gets nicked or broken.

Hope that helps :)

A light waterproof jacket/poncho, torch/spare batteries

Shmook thanks for the gloves, I forgot about that :D last bit of advice, get some training, if your going to carry a kit like that then you do need to know what your doing. Basic first aid classes are not massively expensive and most work places will also fund that training. other things that might come in useful are multi tool's scissors and saw's mind you scissors should be in the first aid kit.

No worries. Maybe some disposable facemasks too, your number one priority is to protect yourself, and you don't want any fluid transfer from a stranger (stop laughing at the back!)..

I also can't believe I forgot to mention a multitool/knife. City cops may take a dim view of carrying a blade of any sort, even a 'legal' type like a Swiss army knife, any most multitools have locking blades, which are a big no-no, and an arrestable offence, and I feel any plea may fall on deaf ears in a situation like that (locking blades can be carried if for a specific use, ie on your way to work where you use one etc), but I carry a knife every day and I don't leave the house without one. But i am fortunate enough to live in a comminity where this is seen as common sense, not a potential weapon.

As for scissors, I put trauma shears in my med kit, as they wil cut more, like clothes, if needed. Mine also had some trauma kit, quik clot, a C.A.T, and some pressure bandages. These probably aren't necessary for a day to day kit, but I work on building sites, wheee severe injury is always an option for the negligent, and I also shoot real steel, and firearms can make leaks in people which may need plugging very quickly ;)

the biggest thing thats overlooked is where exactly are you going to "go". plan that first then build your bag around it, if you are going to hop straight in your car, then lighten the load on yourself by stashing a few of the heavier items in there, if your heading for the hills/woods, go check it out first.

In a major crisis, and forced to leave your home, do you really want to go to the obvious place? where everyone else is possibly going to go, and run the risk of being looted by unprepared people.

if going to a relatives house, then cache some stuff there in advance, always give yourself as many options as possible,remeber, when the *suitcase* hits the fan, things rarely go to "plan".

I've given this occasional thought, especially when I browse on Countycomm; I don't have one packed though. It's a challenging thing, putting all the stuff you might need into one sack. I can't even decide what multitool to buy.

I know that in a survival situation it's not something to stake your life on, but if your smartphone is up and running you have information, entertainment, navigation, light, and communication right at your fingertips. I keep chargers for mine everywhere. I'd be wanting a spare battery, dry pouch, and field charging solution (solar?) if I had to bug out. Heck, I've wished for that stuff just visiting relatives or a theme park. A durable old phone with spare SIM is good too (I have a Motorola F3) but remember that the batteries wear down even with the phone off, so that's another charger to pack.

I would also add: Multivitamins, waterproof signal light, zip ties, tape, condoms, a McNett towel (Don't Panic!), FRS radio, something blaze orange, a magnetic compass, spare batteries for everything, and maps. Some small tools are so ubiquitous that it's worth packing them instead of relying on a multitool, like a screwdriver with interchangeable tips and some locking pliers. Plenty of Ziploc bags to keep things clean, sorted, and dry--they are not very durable when handled so you'll want spares. A dry sack that you could stuff the whole bag in. A titanium spork, obviously.

I know weapons are an issue for you guys and some of us city dwellers too, but pack something brandish-y to fill your hand in case of zombies/hoodies/flying monkeys. A pistol is good and a rifle is best, but an old D-cell Maglight is better than nothing.

Storing larger things like cases of water, dry food, a shovel, and camping gear somewhere that you could quickly pack it in your car also makes a lot of sense without dipping into survivalist nut territory. I'm far from well prepared but I do have a cricket bat, bolt cutters, jumper cables, and a gallon of water in my trunk.

If I were in Western Europe or, particularly the UK, my Go Bag would be different than for Montana or the US.

In Western Europe (not Scandinavia) I would have:

Copies of important documentation, to include passports, driver's licenses, birth certificates, proof of insurance, &c.

Cash, at least a couple hundred units worth (USD, EUD, or GBP, as appropriate. In the UK, it probably doesn't hugely matter whether its GBP or EUD. Unless the current situation with the EU results in either the collapse of the Euro or the EU or both).

Multitool

Flashlight (I would suggest a multi-output SureFire capable of putting out 80+ lumens on a high setting) and spare batteries

A quality fixed blade knife (type to depend on anticipated environment, but a small utility knife would be most appropriate. If you anticipate being 'in the wild', a larger knife like a parang would be preferred) and a small honing stone

A cane or walking stick (obviously, this cannot go in your bag, but it's a good thing to have: It's innocuous but useful for both walking and defense)

A handful of protein bars, maybe some candy

A water bottle, filled with water

A few water purification tablets

Extra pairs of underwear and socks, clothing for layering: Insulation layer, weatherproof layer, &c.

Seasonally appropriate headwear

A five gallon (or whatever that is in Liters) trash bag

Basic, travel toiletry kit: Chopped toothbrush, sample size toothpaste, sample size soap (bar or bottle), a couple of moist toilettes or a small quantity of TP

A booboo kit: Bandaids, antiseptic gels or creams, Ibuprofen, nirile gloves

All of these should be able to fit (albeit tightly) into (or be fitted on to) a c. 1500 cu-in/25L back pack plus trouser pockets and/or a purse or murse. I would advise against a messenger bag.

Add anything you want to on top of this (trauma kits, &c.), just bear in mind that the more stuff you want to have with you, the larger the pack you'll need, and the more money you'll have to sink into the whole thing. Plus you'll have to carry it somewhere. If you have a car or other transportation available, pack it with whatever you can, just understand that if it breaks down or traffic has backed up, you'll be stuck with whatever you can carry on your person and whatever you leave in the car you'll likely never see again. If you need medication for a chronic condition, be sure to pack up at least two weeks worth of it. Remember to consume or dispose of and replace items on a regular schedule.

If you bring a dog, be sure to have a go bag for them, too. It doesn't need to contain a lot, just their food, a collapsible water bowl, and any meds they might need. Bring a leash. They should be used to wearing their backpack (you should be used to yours, too). If your pet isn't a dog (or a pack animal), it probably will be better off being left behind (unless you have use of a car).

Take your go bag with you when you travel, try to live out of it, and you'll gradually evolve it to your actual needs and gain confidence with it for the time when it comes to run out the door.

The most important thing is to have somewhere to go, whether it's with friends or family or a consulate belonging to your country: You cannot survive for long by yourself.

Where exactly are we bugging out to?

I'd rather fight for my home than become a refugee.

You want to fight FIRE, what, with your bare hands?

Although this was 'inspired' as it were, by the riots recently, I'd like this thread to hang around for anybody to get help for a variety of reasons. Go-bags can be quite difficult to organise due to the nature of an emergency, you never know what's going to happen. But its still possible to get a few basics that are universal to most scenarios, and things for emergencies that are more likely to happen to you.

I was at a talk once for my job and learnt some Interesting facts about asbestos. In the 60s and 70s, asbestos was put in loads of stuff including toilet cisterns and seats. Its crazy the stuff you find with it in.

My house won't catch fire, I've built the whole thing out of a wonder material called "asbestos" I don't know if you've heard of it but it is amazing.

Cheap, flame proof, excellent insulator and easy to work with.

There's no downside.

Who's laughing now eh?

Smells good too, have you tried putting any in a cake?

I suppose a Go Bags contents will be determined what they will be going for/from. I've had a zombie apocalypse kit list that I've been trying to reduce into a bag but never really pans out for me. I have a friend on the other hand who carries his all purpose go bag at all times.

In it:

-water bottle

-small first aid kit (disinfectant, suture, gauze, bandage)

-small medicine kit (antibiotics, pain killers, antihistamine)

-multi-tool

-and all important HS2000 .45ACP + 2 extra mags of FMJ which is meant to appropriate whatever else he might need that can't fit in his bag

Is there supplies that are "fool proof" quick fix wound dressings as a temporary measure to help before people can be taken to proper medical care/hospital.

Two words: duct tape. Wrap it around a wound and it's a bandage. Wrap it around the neck and it's a sling. Wrap a few layers around an arm/leg and it's a cast/splint. Given enough rolls and you can make a panic room.

Smells good too, have you tried putting any in a cake?

Yes, a delicious nutty taste and the blue stuff looks awesome.

Also, if you snort it it cures hay fever.

RC answering your question about fool proof dressings has reminded me to re-state about hemcon and superglue.

Both will stop bleeding fast.

If you are expecting bullet wounds my friends swear by tampon in/field dressing out but this is the UK.

My house won't catch fire, I've built the whole thing out of a wonder material called "asbestos" I don't know if you've heard of it but it is amazing.

Cheap, flame proof, excellent insulator and easy to work with.

There's no downside.

Who's laughing now eh?

The people of Libby put it in everything. Everything.

The rest of the US was so jealous we made the EPA declare the entire city a Super Fund Site.

Archived