vintage snipers rifles in the market?

kevshin21

Hey guys I have been thinking about venturing into the sniping field for years but had always stuck with aegs. I have seen many people with l96's m24s and what have yous but I would like to take a slightly different route. I love the look of older guns but I haven't seen many that are made. For example does any one know if there is a reliable springfield 1903 or a enfield being made? I saw the dboys kar98k but that thing ejects shells which might be a bit difficult to handle in the bush. I also don't want to spend too much (under 400) Thank you for your help!

Unfortunatly, if you want unique, you have to pay more. No way around that, most of the nicer looking and unique rifles are either rare or expensive or both. There are a few WW2 guns floating around, the most common you'll see are the Tanaka's. They make the Kar98k, M40A1 and the Type 99. Marushin also makes a Kar98k as well. As far as a spring M40A1, I wouldn't try your luck with a Sun Project unless you are willing to dig real hard for upgrades and what not. There may be a clone M40A1 around the market somewhere (KART I think) ARES is releasing their Mosin Nagant, if you want a russian one. The rest of the guns such as a Springfield or Einfield are mostly custom guns. Either that someone made or that you'd have to make yourself.

Also, sniping with D-Boys K98 out of the box is a total non-starter....It's more innaccurate than even those cheap kids toy pistols that come with rubber sucker darts, and that's when it doesn't have a feed jam or decock itself.

Fine for playing and posing, but not a skirmish gun...You'd need to gut it and fit a VSR-type action before even considering going out into the woods.

The Kart M58 as they call it is somewhere between an M40 and an M700, not being quite corrret for either rifle, and like most VSR knock offs a bit naff. If you want an M40 (and I do!) you have a chice of the notoriously fiddly and expensive Tanaka gas models or tracking down an old Sun Project model. The Sun Project M40's are stunning, very well made but getting hold of parts requires a bit of work these days. If I come across one at the right price I will be picking one up though, without hesitation.

Not too sure if I read it wrong, but I just thought I would point out the m40a1, is not a WW2 era rifle.

My advice is just buy a VSR10 or BAR10 and cam it up..... then you could pretty much say it is any rifle/era.

The tanaka m40a1 is nic once upgraded, but costs too much for someone on a budget.

Good Hunting ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Building a WW2 rifle isn't too hard. I've built 5 already. Just get yourself a cheap Nagant or 1903 or k98 stock and the essential metal parts like the barrel bands, do some drilling and chisel work. Hack up the Bar10/VSR10/M24 outer barrel to appropriate length and you're practically done.

Here are 3 of mine, all with JG Bar10 internals, fully Edgi upgraded:

newmosin4.jpg

Yeah. Sadly, there aren't any affordable sources for vintage optics in my country. And importation laws for optics are very strict as well. Using iron sights are a nono as getting to line up precisely in a custom rifle is fiddly at best. And in these conversions with the VSR/Bar10, the rear sights will always sit higher than normal. But anyway, these work great and with a little scrim, hardly noticeable. :)

• 1 month later...

Building a WW2 rifle isn't too hard. I've built 5 already. Just get yourself a cheap Nagant or 1903 or k98 stock and the essential metal parts like the barrel bands, do some drilling and chisel work. Hack up the Bar10/VSR10/M24 outer barrel to appropriate length and you're practically done.

Here are 3 of mine, all with JG Bar10 internals, fully Edgi upgraded:

newmosin4.jpg

How accurate is your No4 T m8?

• 2 months later...

I was flicking through a recent issue of Gunmart, shoot and scoot advertise there.

In the add it stated a "convertion kit for chinese made VSR into a K98, phone for details"

Nothing appears on the website, and i haven't phoned them.

As others have said, labour of love, buy an old stock and fittings and make it fit something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived