Complete newbie

Mr b

Hi my name is mark. I am completely new to arnies and to the sport of airsoft. I am very keen on getting into the sport and was hoping to get some good advice of some of the regular players in the uk. I live in southport and have 2 airsoft skirmish sites not far from were I live. I am curious what should be the best way to start getting into the sport. Prices for renting guns ammo etc. As many replies would be much appreciated.

start by going to your local sites, renting different guns (you can't buy one yet due to the VCRA act (there's a huge subforum linked to it in the Legal Stuff section), try and find one you like the look and feel of. Once you've tried various guns and have decided THAT is the one for me, come back here and look at the reviews and post a topic in this section on what people think is the best gun for your requirements (budget, skirmishing, reliability etc). You'll need some camo (surplus DPM is a breeze to find in surplus shops and dead cheap.) Good shoes, broken in hiking boots/combat boots etc) and a full face mask. After that, a bottomless wallet and understanding wife/gf/child/bank manager :P

If you're 18, you should play 3 times at one site to get a VCRA Exemption so you can purchase a RIF (Realistic Imitation Firearm) instead of buying an IF (Imitation Firearm) like a Two-Tone or Clear plastic. The VCRA basically restricts any under-18's and any unregistered UKARA members to have Realistic looking weapons and they must own an Imitation Firearm instead.

And if you're going to buy a gun, many many many people will recommend you NOT to buy a Sniper Rifle first as many noobs are inspired by movies and video games and find out sniping in Airsoft isnt what they expected...play a few matches and get used to the game and you'll understand :)

If you're deciding which weapon to buy, search around these forums mainly in the Newbie Section as many are in the same position as you

Thanks for the replys so far they have been excellent for info. I am 24 years old so would that still mean I would have to complete my 3 games in 2 months to get ukra cert to allow me to eventually buy a rif. I am defo looking for people in my area who use both the formby and leisure lakes skirmish sites to try and get a lift of. I would obviously pay towards fuel. I have pleny of camo gear as I was in the navy for 5 years and completed various shooting courses so got loads of equipment of them. Keep the posts coming and thanks for replying to me

you don't need UKARA to buy a RIF, it's just a convenient form of defence against the VCRA. To be a valid skirmisher, you must play at least 3 games where there is at least 52 days(2 months) between then first and last skirmish, if you do so at 1 site, that is a member of UKARA then they'll register you and give you a number which you can use to prove your defence to buy RIFs.

You need a full face mask, you'll see plenty of players with goggles etc, but until you're more practised at airsoft, I really wouldn't recommend it, you can and I have seen people lose teeth etc.

By all accounts the ICS and G&G SA80s are by far the most reliable SA80 replicas if that's what you're used to handling. WE Also make a GBB Version but that's not recommended for beginners.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived