Desert Locust thermal lens field report by Freon

freon

Thanks to the international sales team of Revision, I was able to snag me a replacement thermal lens for my desert locusts.

I recently put the lens to the test over here in the Philippines in some of the worst humid conditions possible and while I still experienced fogging, it wasn't as bad as the fogging experienced by my companions.

We were up in a hilly area covered by some extremely thick jungle. There was no moon for light and it had just rained. It was so humid that our own body heat was creating steam which could be seen rising whenever we turned on a light. I was the only member of that 8 man group that didn't trip over a log or snag on some vines because I saw it all coming my way. When my lenses fogged up (every 10 minutes or so), I simply pulled out a cloth, gave it a wipe on the inside and continued.

If there is anything I can suggest for improvement, it would be the adhesive used between the two lenses as a section near where my nose is seems to have lost it's bond and may have compromised the lens in it's fog handling capability.

The lens did not fog like other lenses do and only failed in the worst conditions I've experienced so far.

Attached are some pictures of me making use of the lenses.

post-62051-0-39267300-1315515718_thumb.jpg

post-62051-0-54848400-1315515732_thumb.jpg

Hey freon - Thanks for your post. Sorry that we've taken a little while to get back to you. We're psyched to hear that the Desert Locust thermal lens worked out for you. Something that could help you out with the little bit of fogging that you experienced would be our anti-fog cloths: http://bit.ly/jWAJkM. The anti-fog cloths use nanotechnology to help combat fog in the most extreme conditions. They come in packs of 3 and can be used up to 25 times each.

Also, do you know who on the Revision International Sales team helped you out?

They would be Ron van Zuilen, Katie Sayles, and Juliana Martin.

They did send me some fog cloth to test out and I haven't had the chance to give it a go yet but I will be mindful to bring it with me next time we go out.

The lenses have seen some fair use now and are still holding up despite the small gap in the barrier between the two lenses. If you guys made thermal lenses for your bullet ant model too, I'd give that a test-drive over here next.

• 1 month later...

I tested the anti-fog cloths in really terrible conditions last weekend. No fog problems once applied. Thank you!

On a side note, the anti-fog cloths did not agree with a rival brand's goggles so my buddy is now getting Revisions :P

I'm considering picking up a few more thermal lenses as mine is getting scratched and smudged and no amount of cleaning will help. I may pick up a pair of bullet ants for testing as well.

Soon but not yet.

My brother and I recently each purchased a pair of the Asian Locust Fan Goggles. We both wear glasses and had difficulty finding a good pair of goggles that would fit over glasses... so we bought these asian locust fan goggles with the inserts.

Both of us were really excited to try these new goggles out, I use to run around with my JT USA goggles and a fan attachment... it cleared out the fog with no problem but it was bulky and was about 6 years old.

To the point, both of us were a little disappointed yesterday when we finally got to use them in a game. They fogged up pretty fast. We live in Hong Kong and it is pretty humid, yesterday we already considered it to be a cool day with the 26 degrees and moderate wind. Even with a breeze and the fan on the locust goggles on full blast... it couldn't clear out the fog. In several games during the day... I had a large white fog patch covering my entire lens and i could not see anything.

For the amount of money we spend on these goggles... i was hopping they would preform a lot better. Now I believe I need to buy thermal lens and anti fog wipes and try again. The fan was a really big disappointment... they need to make these fans a lot more powerful.

Can anyone tell me if I order the thermal lens from revision website, will those fit in my asian locust fan goggles? The curve is suppose to be different from the regular one and I want to make sure they will keep the asian profile after I instal the thermal lens.

Thanks for the help.

I think that they have thermal lenses for the asian goggles that you can order.

You might want to try removing the foam seal on the sides and upper area of the goggle first as it's the foam that prevents the air from circulating and thus causing you to fog up really bad. Once I did that with mine, + the thermal lenses, I had no fog problems anymore.

Archived