ARMY FORCE Enhanced Upgrade Kit for VSR-10/BAR-10

kojak

I know nearly nothing about airsoft sniper rifles, except that they're expensive to upgrade. This new upgrade kit seems like an awful lot for the money though:

Ehobby, Shooter, AirsoftClub, Airsoft Global

It sold out quickly at Ehobby and was just restocked. Does anyone have one? And would it be reasonable to assume that it would make a good upgrade to a JG BAR-10 G-spec?

Well that's incedibly cheap. Thanks for posting. It looks decent quality. OK it will not have the tolerences of the PDI parts; but look at the price difference.

Some interesting features too. Such as the piston having 2, o rings for better compression. The anti blowback ring looks good too (I think that is what it is). Plus a metal trigger box etc.

EDIT: Well I just read a review on Airsoft club and it states that the kit is for the L96 and doesn't fit VSR style rifles. Maybe you should look around for more reviews or let people be the first to find out the hard way, if it is worth the money.

Must admit I am interested, if it turns out to be good. I would like one of these sets to stick in the only VSR10, I have left that is stock.

Good Hunting ;)

It's found at the second link I posted; the reviewer doesn't go into any more detail. I wouldn't mind doing an L96 instead if he's right, but the product descriptions very specifically state the VSR and BAR10 models that it fits.

EDIT: Well I just read a review on Airsoft club and it states that the kit is for the L96 and doesn't fit VSR style rifles. Maybe you should look around for more reviews or let people be the first to find out the hard way, if it is worth the money.

I've bit early on tons of airsoft products, this seems cheap enough to take the risk. Went ahead and ordered one along with a JG BAR-10, if it turns out that guy is right I'll just have to find an L96.

I did look but it's too new for reviews, just found a couple topics commenting on how inexpensive it is.

I'll know for sure very soon. If it doesn't fit in the BAR-10 I'll want to replace it locally and quickly so I can get this kit installed--can someone tell me what is (internally) a clone of the Marui Maruzen L96 springer, and what brand to look for? I'm digging through the threads but sniper rifles are confusing!

*Edit: According to AirsoftClub's revision of the listing, they're now saying it fits: "Type 96 series by WELL MB-01 / SD96 / UTG Type 96 Shadow Ops / Bravo / Double Eagle / Maruzen and other compatible airsoft bolt action sniper rifles". Can someone familiar with those guns if the Army Force trigger unit looks right, and if those rifles are all clones of the Maruzen internals?

**2nd edit: Darn. AirsoftGlobal also changed their item description, from "VSR/BAR-10" to "MB01". Looks like this is almost certainly meant for L96 clones.

Just got the kit, and it didn't take long to confirm that there's no way it's going in the BAR-10. I'm currently on the hunt for an L96.

AF-PT-VSR10SET-AG-1.jpg

I received everything shown in this photo from ASG, except I think I only got one screw instead of three, in a bag marked "ARMY FORCE" (and nothing else). Unfortunately, there were no instructions and I'm not sure yet what everything is--looks like a single hopup arm, silicone barrel spacer, (spare?) o-rings; what's that thing above the spring guide? And that round thing next to the hop arm? The included bucking is odd, with no rectangular outer bump like a VSR bucking, and that's disturbing because the inner bump looks torn. But why would I need a custom bucking if there's no chamber? Hopefully things become clear when I start taking apart the L96.

The trigger, sear parts, hop arm, and that big metal thing are somewhat roughly machined from steel (a magnet sticks), and have some kind of tough glossy grey coating, almost feels laminated. Overall quality appears... serviceable.

I belive the part above the spring guide, is the spring guide stopper. The VSR is blessed with the locating lug on the outside of the hop rubber (to ensure it is exactly level)... while the L96 is not.

I think the ring is perhaps an anti blow by ring; to stop air escaping, between barrel and rubber.

I have never had an L96 so am unsure. I only know VSR/BAR/APS2 spring systems.

I don't think the hop rubber is "custom" its just a replacement. Perhaps it is an airseal rubber (like a 9ball)?

Cannot you not just return the kit? It was sold under the wrong type of information. Why should you have to pay out for return postage?

If you cannot return; I guess I would just sell the kit, to someone who has an L96 and buy a VSR/BAR instead.... but thats just me. You are not wrong to buy an L96.

Good Hunting ;)

Thanks for the help IDing the parts. I don't mind picking up an L96--I was much more interested in the possibility of building a "competitive" spring gun cheaply than I was with which type of gun to put it in.

So a stock Maruzen style L96 can use a VSR type bucking with the lug cut off?

Although everything I know about springers was learned yesterday when I took the BAR-10 apart; I think the break on this 90° trigger is going to awfully long and nasty. The machined edges on all the steel parts have a "ribbed" texture, including the bit that engages the other bit that releases the piston. Plus, it's really thick:

IMG_20110914_083150.jpg

If a comparison between this spring and the stock one in the BAR is any indication, this kit is intended for withstanding a whopping big FPS boost and not much else.

Perhaps a mod would be kind enough to edit the thread title, replacing VSR-10/BAR-10 with L96?

That ring appears to be a replacement for the one that goes around the stock inner barrel. I never did understand the point of the thing, and it breaks fairly quickly, as it's made of weak plastic. As for the other hopup components, the arm and bucking also appear to be set for the stock chamber setup. I don't know if a modified VSR bucking will fit, but if you do some poking around the Maruzen sticky, you'll find a post that details how to modify an AEG bucking to fit the stock chamber. This is, of course, assuming you'd like to stick with the stock setup, rather than replacing everything with after-market parts.

So I just took apart my brand new clone L96, and this kit ain't gonna fit. The parts are too short--trigger unit is around 1.5cm, and the piston is about 2cm shorter than the parts in the L96. plus the kit's nozzle is a few mm longer and the part where the bolt handle attaches is different.

So what gun has a shorter cylinder than an L96 but longer than a VSR? I don't really want to own every clone springer ever made, but I WILL install this kit.

*edited to add: OK, after a bit of research it seems I may have gotten an AGM MP002 instead of a UTG, the difference being that it uses a VSR trigger unit. In an effort to avoid buying any more guns, let me just post the dimensions I need and hopefully someone will tell me exactly which clone to get.

Trigger: mounting holes measure approx. 81mm center to center

Cylinder: outside length (excluding nozzle) is about 248mm, nozzle measures 19mm

Hexagon shaped bolt handle end

Well Warrior, TSD, and UTG. There may be other brands/rebrands, but these are the basic ones for L96. The AGM (and a JG L96) are largely non-compatible. UTG is reputedly the best, with higher QC. But then that makes the Well or the TSD the better candidates for upgrading.

Crazy. It had a VSR style trigger with a metal searbox, but both the trigger mech and cylinder are longer than the ones in the BAR-10. It actually shoots really nicely once I cleaned it up. Chronoed 380 with .28s, but I bet it's losing compression through the shoddy piston head. Not such a bad gun overall, if you just wanted to fix the compression and put a slightly stiffer spring in. The differences are really obvious now that I know what to look for; the AGM bolt handle and the rear of the bolt is all wrong:

MP002B-BIPODSCOPE-6.jpgWell-MB01B-Bolt-Action-Sniper-with-Upgrade_Well-MB01B_airsoft_lg.jpg

Hopefully I'll get my hands on a Well MB01 tonight for testing purposes, and it looks like I'll be able to return the AGM for a special ordered Well MB08--the gun I wanted in the first place. Counting the JG BAR-10 (that turned out to not even be a JG, thanks Evike) this week has been quite the crash course in spring guns.

I did indeed get my hands on a filthy, tired old Warrior L96 last night, and the kit is installed. Before I got started I measured 288 FPS with .28s.

It wasn't exactly a direct drop-in; I had to find longer screws to mount the trigger box, and the bolt wouldn't seat until I unscrewed the outer barrel a couple turns (looked like the thicker cylinder head was the culprit there). The machined hopup arm was much too long to fit, and the bucking wasn't quite a stock replacement. In hindsight it looks like it might be designed to convert the Maruzen L96 chamber to use different barrels, since it has the ridge for the barrel groove on the bottom instead of the top. The machined anti-blowby ring turned out to be quite a useful upgrade; it indexes the groove in the barrel with the grooves in the side of the chamber, and fit perfectly. This might be the most twist-resistant barrel/hop assembly I've ever built.

So I cleaned the stock barrel and bucking, and buttoned the gun up the best I could. I was a little worried that the loosened barrel would be an issue, but the stock mounted up an the mag popped in no problem. I gave the bolt a mighty pull, and sent it home with authority. Squeeze the trigger, and after a lengthy takeup it just stops, like it's hitting a brick wall. But keep squeezing, harder and harder, and eventually it fires, right at the outer limits of what one finger is capable of.

So what is this kit good for? Besides driving me crazy? I got a consistent 480 FPS with a .28 using the included spring and stock barrel. Yes, you have to jerk the trigger like a maniac, but that's a lot of juice for a hundred bucks. I'll definitely be giving the hopup some more attention, and this weekend I'll try to lay hands on some heavier BBs and see what kind of range it's getting.

I'd say the kit is probably worth it for the piston, cylinder, nozzle, and anti-blowby ring--all good parts. The trigger is built tough (time will tell if it holds up), but the pull is absolutely ridiculous, even for a 3J gun.

Archived