KJ Works, KC-02 (Ruger 10/22) Thread

gisburn20

Got mine last night. First of all;

*fruitcage* you, AEG's.

Secondly, the only minor issue I'm having (I believe is probably similar to the issue on the above mentioned 93R) - Basically upon emptying the mag, the bolt locks just fine. However, when inserting a new mag and racking the charging handle, it won't budge. I have to remove the mag, return the charging handle to battery, insert loaded mag, and cock the gun as if inserting a mag in the first place.

My guess is the bolt catch lever just needs a little wearing in so it can 'drop' a little more freely when pulling the charging handle to release the bolt on a freshly loaded mag. Anyone else experienced this?

(Just to clarify - Empty mag, bolt lock, insert loaded mag, pull locked back charging handle, charging handle doesn't return with the mag in the weapon)

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wouldnt belive it but my safety just shot out of my gun with the spring snapping and the ball bearing flying out... found them both but what can I replace that stupid tiny spring with and do I just squeeze it back in? also any chance for a more indepth tutorial on the fps shim mod? a video or more pics maybe? thanks

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the info here guys, I've been looking at getting one of these for a while but held off, defiantly interested again now :)

Can anyone post any firing reports on accuracy and range at all ?

Thanks, FL

Check out the review thread over in the GBBR section; There's a few decent reports in there.

So far with mine I've only had the chance to put 3-4 mags through in fading light; From what I can tell, with the hop set, the rounds are going a good 15 yards further than my AEG's at 350FPS, and accuracy is good - I'm getting the odd flier however, so I might see if I can fiddle with the hop a touch. Either way, it's definitely skirmishable out the box - Planning to run mine this sunday so I'll report back with how it goes.

With a Falcon bucking and RATech tightbore, I'm currently getting 200ft accurate shots. Starts to fall after that, but definitely acceptable range for me. Still have the odd fliers hwagan mentioned, but nothing too problematic. I'll be putting a R-hop in mine here once they get in, so I'll let everyone know how that goes...

Hwagan - I truthfully have no idea why yours is doing that. My guess would be stuff is just not meshing quite right. When you insert a new mag does your bolt handle have a bit of wiggle? There's generally about a centimeter 'wiggle room' between the back-most position of the bolt and where the bolt stop is. If you have no wiggle, it's likely getting hung up in the rear-most position. If you do have wiggle, then it's probably an issue with the bolt catch lever. Check and see if there's anything missing in there, it should be falling into place when you insert a new mag.

Black - I'd recommend checking the springs available at your local hardware store or machine shop. For any springs I haven't been able to find at either of those places, I've resorted to my bin of TM Glock springs. Seems to do the trick! Take some pics of the spring next to a pencil or something for comparison-sake, and we can probably help you straighten it out a bit better. As for putting it back in, if I remember right they just squeeze back in there. Takes a bit of fiddling. Might take mine down or check my manual to make sure...

Lastly, I'd personally recommend against doing the trigger spring mod unless you really know what you're doing and have some extremely tiny springs on hand. Figured I'd give the mod a shot myself last week. Long story short, the threads for the itty-bitty grub screw stripped out, and I ended up having to glue the screw back in. Doable, but definitely a pain. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but meh, a word of warning either way.

Hwagan - I truthfully have no idea why yours is doing that. My guess would be stuff is just not meshing quite right. When you insert a new mag does your bolt handle have a bit of wiggle? There's generally about a centimeter 'wiggle room' between the back-most position of the bolt and where the bolt stop is. If you have no wiggle, it's likely getting hung up in the rear-most position. If you do have wiggle, then it's probably an issue with the bolt catch lever. Check and see if there's anything missing in there, it should be falling into place when you insert a new mag.

Thanks man - Turned out after all that it just needed a little wearing in; The corner of the bolt catch lever was just catching on the follower from the mag; After a few loads through each mag, the issue has dissapeared. It does seem to have the correct amount of 'wiggle room' with the bolt, and it's all running perfectly now.

I've cleaned the barrel out, adjusted the hop for .3's and I'm using standard green gas. I've found letting the mags settle for 10 minutes helps with the consistency an awful lot, but I guess that's true of most GBB's. Either way, I'm consistently (9/10) times hitting a torso sized chunk of tree at about 60 metres in perfect conditions, which is more than good enough for me. Got it fitted with a 2.5 x 30 long eye relief scope and it's really nicely balanced between the hands as a result.

Overall, I'd say this thing is frikkin' awesome. Until it comes up with any issues, I'm going to run it as it is. Pretty happy with this as my entry into the GBBR world! :)

Very glad to hear that Hwagan. They're really quite nice rifles, just have a couple quirks sometimes (as any rifle does!).

Also, I got my R-hops in today. Should be starting the process of installing one here soon; I'll take notes if there's anything different in the process than putting one in an AEG.

Lastly, maybe someone will be able to answer a question of mine prior to my dropping some cash. I found a Tanio Koba bolt carrier/piston/nozzle for sale the other day. Looks to be the same as the KJ's, with the piston and nozzle being slightly different. Any idea if it'd fit? And any idea if the TK carrier group would hold up to propane? My main attractions to it are the potential it could maybe reduce/better stabilize FPS and that it's silver (I have a two-tone build). Might just have to go ahead and get one sometime...

Best,

ANdy

Got to use mine yesterday at the UCAP Sandpit; Big disused quarry, basically. The KJ KC02 turned out to be almost the perfect weapon for the site; There was a lot of small buildings dotted around, combined with wider open areas of wasteland, ridges and berms everywhere. Basically an environment that lended itself very well to urban sniping.

The gun didn't even seem to realise we were in a stupidly hot dustbowl quarry; One or two minor stoppages (from me overloading the mag), no negative effects from dust swirling around everywhere, and despite the very high temperature, the gun was reliable all day through a good 500 rounds.

I was scoring hits at 50-60 metres, although the hop isn't quite as consistent as I'd like. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but i'd say 3/10 rounds don't quite catch it in the right way and you get the odd drop shot or overhop. Still, for a semi-auto gas rifle, I'd say that's about acceptable.

Has anyone been tweaking the hop much on theirs? I've also find mine needs to be almost all the way on to hop a .3, and if I'm missing anything I can do to squeeze a little more accuracy out of it I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any ideas.

Nice to hear it worked out so well for you Hwagan! I've found both of mine have had the same sort of hop issue. Taking the rifle apart, the hop window is about the smallest I believe I've ever seen, which might cause part of the issue (about 2/3 the length of a TM pistol hop window and about the same width). Changing buckings greatly helped out (I swapped to a Falcon) my current 10/22. Aside from that, RATech's tightbore definitely increased my groupings. With some work I think a VSR-10 barrel/bucking could be made to fit, which would give a nice array of barrels to choose from as well. I'll be attempting to install a R-hop into mine sometime here soon. I'll definitely let everyone know how that goes. Hopefully those random 3/10 will stop being so random!

Best,

Andy

I officially joined the KJ 10/22 Club as of yesterday. Loving this gun so much right now

Preliminary testing were excellent but i have a question:

When I gas up the mags (standard, short ones), there's a "hissing" noise on the bottom. It is very faint and you almost can't hear it unless you put it right against the ear. I know this seems like the mag is leaking but I could easily shoot off a whole mag and have gas left over.

Ideas?

When I gas up the mags (standard, short ones), there's a "hissing" noise on the bottom. It is very faint and you almost can't hear it unless you put it right against the ear. I know this seems like the mag is leaking but I could easily shoot off a whole mag and have gas left over.

Ideas?

See I'm not sure if I've understood the description right, but mine makes a hissing noise when you fill the mag - It's the transfer of pressure from the tin to the mag, I put my ear to the can to listen for when the mag is full. You mean there's a hissing sound after you pull the can away from the mag?

If you've got the hiss after you remove the gas can, you're leaking from the fill valve. The o-rings they use on the fill valve aren't the greatest, so a layer of thread seal tape (or a new o-ring) should solve the issue. Be careful when reinserting the fill valve though; the metal used in them isn't the greatest, so it's rather easy to break them if you overtighten them.

Mike-

Mags drop out straight down,

Got to play my first full day with my 10/22 yesterday, Very impressed but...

My first failure on the gun, o ring blew in one mag, its the one that joins the two halves together.

Will be replacing that tonight, and maybe putting some RTV silicone in there to be safe.

But overall very pleased with it , 2 kills in 2 shots at about 40m in the first game, a couple of others during the day but ended up using my M14

for most of the afternoon due to people not taking hits from single shots.

( I had a couple of people play on after a 5 round burst in the chest from 20m and comically try to hide behind a 6 inch dia. tree...)

Still overall a very nice piece of kit,

there might be a photo coming up in the new airsoft magazine in November , as I was prone in cover with bipod down when a flashgun started popping

- I was being "Papped" !

Jim

Still not had any major issues in mine, and it's about 14-1500 rounds in now. I've found the charging handle has become a little loose due to the blowback, which occasionally (Maybe one in a mag now and again) causes the bolt not to return fully to battery. The next pull of the trigger fires the BB, but at a reduced power output and with no blowback, which is a simple case of re-cocking the weapon. Not a problem really, I just need to get round to taking out the bolt and tightening the charging handle and loc-titing it.

Other than that, it's been flawless. One thing I have found however is that the hop takes almost all of the adjustment to get a decent flick on a .3. I'm also not too comfortable with the idea of a metal screw pressing down fairly hard on the bucking, which I imagine is going to increase the wear on the rubber. With that in mind, I've done a simple mod to the hop that gives a much greater range of adjustability. I've lost the ability to use .2's without them going up a little sooner than I'd like, but anything with a weight of .25 or above can be adjusted for. Basically, all I did was cut a cross section of biro ink tube the same width as the screw, and then file it flat. Seems to have reduced the amount of fliers somehow as an added bonus!

P1010625.jpg

Also, It took me a while to realise - But if you overload the mag, it causes the bolt to jam and mess around for the first couple of cycles - It seems KJ thought of that, and the follower is visible if the mag is overloaded. Didn't see it mentioned in the manual, and I figured in case anyone else hadn't noticed, it's a good way of checking if you've got one too many rounds in.

How it should be;

P1010613.jpg

Overloaded mag;

P1010612.jpg

On another note, here's my current set up; Couldn't ask for a better scouting rifle really, and the 2.5 x long eye relief scope works really well with it.

P1010619.jpg

Huh, interesting to hear that your mags don't feed well when loaded like that. I always load my mags until the tab sticks out; never had a problem before! I keep my mags top-down in my rig; and that little tab always tells me what mags are loaded and what aren't!

Good idea using the piece of ink tube to shim the hop adjustment screw. I ended up recutting my barrel and installing an r-hop instead. No adjustment needed, just can't change weights! :/

Best,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

RS Stock fitted!

2011-10-23120301.jpg

2011-10-23120251.jpg

2011-10-23120245.jpg

Fitted without removing the receiver tang, just dremelled out a notch for it , kept offering it up and adjusting til it fit.

Only had to get the notch right and the rifle went in snug (tilted in like the real one) very secure in there with only the front screw in place.

Found a longer machine screw for the front , turned the screw head in a drill chuck against a file til it fit in the brass countersunk stock fitting.

I used a Ruger Laminate target stock, so the stock width was perfect for the bull barrel.

Very happy with it as it came with factory sling studs and recoil pad, front stud should fit my RS Harris 6-9" bipod just nice.

Jim

Huh, interesting to hear that your mags don't feed well when loaded like that. I always load my mags until the tab sticks out; never had a problem before! I keep my mags top-down in my rig; and that little tab always tells me what mags are loaded and what aren't!

Good idea using the piece of ink tube to shim the hop adjustment screw. I ended up recutting my barrel and installing an r-hop instead. No adjustment needed, just can't change weights! :/

Best,

Andy

See the mags do feed, but I'm worried about damaging the loading tab; If the mags are loaded until the tab sticks out the bottom, I've found they're really diffcult to lock into place; I'm not sure if it's necessary as such, but I figured it'd put a bit less strain on the loading tab. It seems like when loading an overloaded mag, the tension of the BB's pushing up on the BBU loading nozzle seems to slow the first cycle and I've had to re-cock it a few times.

How's the R-hop doing in the 10/22? Big improvement? I've still yet to really read up on the R-hop mod, I didn't have much luck successfully getting the G-hop working in an AEG so I sort of lost interest. I'll see if I can google up a link and have more of a read on it.

Also, Gisburn, that looks the absolute tits mate. Really nice woodwork, that.

The brown version of the laminate target stock is on ebay uk still...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ruger-10-22-brown-wood-laminate-stock-/330629276616?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item4cfb0a63c8

Go on you know it makes sense!

search "ruger stock"

Modification took about 40 minutes.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

The brown version of the laminate target stock is on ebay uk still...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ruger-10-22-brown-wood-laminate-stock-/330629276616?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item4cfb0a63c8

Go on you know it makes sense!

It is awfully tempting - But I'm quite a fan of the tactical stock, it's grown on me a lot. Plus, the guy selling that stock sounds desperate :P

On another note, my 10/22 seems to be suffering a bit of a sticky BBU - The nozzle isn't returning into the housing properly when cycling. This occured while a friend was using it on Sunday, and I reckon it just needs a good clean as it was a dusty site. Going to break it open this evening, but has anyone experienced anything similar? Might narrow down what to look for a bit!

Archived