1911 jamming

teflon  don

hey guys

i have a problem with my 1911, sometimes when i shoot it jams

its because sometimes the barrel doesn't go back and so the slide locks up on the locking lugs

so my question is what is the best way to prevent this

i was thinking on removing the locking lugs because in a airsoft gun they serve no purpose

or could removing the locking lugs produce any more problems (would the barrel be lose in the slide)

or what i could do is remove the lugs on the slede and ad material to the barrel so that there is still contact so that the barrel isn't lose

• 4 weeks later...

I think you can remove the lugs. Basically the new ProG4/Airsoft Surgeon outer barrels now are of the "non-interference" design, so even they have the "lugs" they don't actually lock. The fit between the outer barrel to hop-up chamber is tightened and the outer don't slide and tilt any more.

Grinding off the lugs could solve your problem, but the application of a dry lubricant like molybdenum disulfide or more simply graphite (pencil lead) may be worth a go before you do anything hasty.

If you cut off the lugs so that the outer barrel is loose, then it will press against the inner barrel, causing your accuracy to disappear.

What brand is the gun?

Is it a new gun? If it is, talk to the shop about a replacement rather than tinkering with it as that will void your warantee.

If you cut off the lugs so that the outer barrel is loose, then it will press against the inner barrel, causing your accuracy to disappear.

How do the lugs prevent the outer barrel pressing against the inner? The movement of the outer barrel is the same with or without the lugs and the movement of the inner barrel is the same also(IE it doesn't). The chamber will rest against the hop unit when the slide is back, and sit proud when pushed into battery by the rear of the ejector port, the muzzle of the outer with slide over the inner barrel within the confines of the bushing, which is unchanged.

i can see this problem being fixed this way but there must be another way. selling a gun in a shop with the lugs removed doesnt look good and i find that 1 in 20 we 1911s have this issue out the box. i believe its related to the hop up units fitment with the takedown pin. i only assume this because a friend said he doesnt have the issue if he leaves the pin half way out. when im able to try this, ill talk more.

Archived