Tokyo Marui G36C Custom Electric Blowback

Tokyo Marui G36C Custom Electric Blowback

1.G36C.jpg

Introduction

I have always had a love/hate relationship with the G36C. The first time I bought one I enjoyed the feel and look of it, but the mags were such a hassle to find pouches for. I also felt like a hypocrite as I made it clear to my team mates from the beginning that I would NEVER own a gun with a folding stock, and they were lesser men for having them on their Sig 552 and MP5 RAS :)

That was a few years ago, and after buying and selling no less than 5 G36 rifles, I am still fighting the good fight with the G36C. You could imagine the surprise when I awoke from a lust induced stupor with my sixth G36 taking up space in the gun rack. Oh, but this one's different...

Thinking inside and outside the box

The G36C Custom comes in you standard Tokyo Marui packaging. The black cardboard box measures 93cm X 32cm x 11cm, and has graphical details split into thirds on the top panel. To the left is a Next Generation AEG logo consisting of a hand holding a lightening bolt. In the middle of the box is the Tokyo Marui company logo, a picture of the G36C Custom, and some marketing and legal info. This includes the battery recommendations, the 18 and over only warning, as well as the announcement that this is the 13th gun in the Next Gen series. On the right is the Recoil Shock logo and a sticker on the bottom right reveals that the gun is internationally patented in the USA, China, Japan, and other areas of the world. This sticker has started to appear on many of their recent recoil guns.

2.Box.jpg

Inside the box is as one would expect from Marui. A foam insert in the bottom of the box is cut out to allow the G36C to sit nicely in the box, with matching styrofoam on the inside of the lid to keep it safe during transport. As with some of the other Next Gen guns, there is a velcro strap that keeps the G36 in place.

3.Velcro.jpg

To the right of the G36C are two manuals and your usual catalog and shooting targets. An 8 panel fold out manual covers the G36C specific details, while a regular G36K manual covers all the details that are shared between the two models. Below the G36C is a box labelled with the Tokyo Marui logo.This is where the BBs and muzzle cap are usually located. Not in this box. This is the G36C Custom!

4.BoxRight.jpg

To the left of the G36 is a vertical box that sits higher than than rest. On the top half of this box you will find the rubber grip that slips over the pistol grip. On the bottom half of this box you will find the short vertical front grip. It's also inside this box that you will find BBs, a couple hex wrenches (3mm and 2.5mm), and some washers and bolts to adjust the height of the cheek rest. Custom! Hidden underneath the G36C is a loading tube and cleaning rod.

5.BoxLeft.jpg

Cheeky

The G36C Custom sets itself apart from most guns in Tokyo Marui's catalog by incorporating an adjustable cheek rest. The cheek rest is held in place by two screws that screw into the top. When removed, the cheek rest is a two-piece plastic unit stacked together. You can add a 3mm or a 6mm spacer in-between the two pieces to raise the cheek rest. Although it isn't stated in the manual, you can combine the spacers to get almost a full centimeter extra height. Tokyo Marui includes the allen wrench and two longer screws to accommodate the height change. Adding or removing spacers takes about 3 or 4 minutes, but I wouldn't recommend doing it at the field as the small black spacers are bound to go missing. I think Marui plans on people setting the height that is best for them and then just leaving it as is. The cheek pad is plastic, so it isn't super comfortable, but it is an improvement over the old G36C, especially if you are using magnified kit on your top rail.

6.CheekRest.jpg

The G36C Custom comes with the standard folding stock. Pushing the stock release button on the left allows it to swing to the right. It snaps onto a stock catch tab that holds it securely in place. A strong tug on the stock pulls it off the catch tab and allows it to swing back into place. I found that the stock was stiff on the return, and I had to apply a bit more leverage than I am used to in order to snap it back into the stock's original position. There was also a coating of what I assume was silicon grease on the bottom of the stock that I needed to wipe down as it started to collect dust and smear from the moment I took it out of the box.

The stock also has four holes in it that are meant to hold the body pins when taking down the G36C. This is mainly cosmetic as the only true take down pin is the one that holds the front hand guard in place.

7.StockPins.jpg

The distance from the trigger to the butt of the stock is almost 33cm, which is the same as an M4 stock in the 4th position. It just so happens that I run my m4 in this position, so the sizing and feel of the G36 when shouldered is a nice fit.

Moving up the left hand side of the G36C there is a sling mount directly forward and above the folding stock catch. Directly below this is a body pin. On the Marui version of the G36C this is a dummy pin, and can not be removed. Don't go trying to push it out!

Get A Grip

Just past the sling mount and body pin we discover the firing selector, pistol grip and trigger. The firing selector is an ambidextrous, three position unit, with positions for safety, semi, and full auto. Unlike the M4, that has a 180 degree pivot from safety to full auto, the G36 dial only has a 90 degree throw. The fire selector on the G36 is crisp and snaps into each position cleanly. In the past I have had issues with the H&K style fire selector coming loose and not falling into position cleanly. I am hoping I don't have these issues with the G36 Custom.

8.SelectorSwitch.jpg

The standard grip is a hard plastic that I don't find super comfortable. Luckily, one of the custom accessories included with the G36 is a rubber grip cover with finger channels. After running MAID grips on my M4, this is a welcome addition to the G36. The cover is applied on the grip and has enough give in it that it can be moved up or down to fit the user's preference. This cover makes a huge difference. The finger channels are comfortable, and the G36 just feels better with this thing on. A word of warning, the rubber cover can be difficult to install, and the included manual suggests that you use some soapy water. They mention in the same manual that soapy water can cause the rubber to break down. This thing is 1,890 yen ($25), plus shipping, to replace so I wouldn't force it.

9.RubberGrip.jpg

The trigger guard is boxy with a curve where it meets the grip. This allows your middle finger (assuming you fire with your index finger) to slot in nice and tight. The trigger is as one would expect. You pull it, it fires, you hear people yelling hit. To the front of the trigger is a fake bolt catch release button. Sadly Tokyo Marui haven't found a way to make the G36 series lock back like they have with the M4 versions.

The magazine release lever is below and to the front of the trigger on the outside of the trigger guard, where it meets the mag well. It feels a little tight, but magazines engage with a very positive click. It might be because my G36C is still brand new, but the magazines will not drop on their own when the release latch is pushed. You might not be able to rock your tacticool magazine changes because of this because you can't flick the mags out with some high speed wrist trickery. Just saying.

The magazine of the G36 is the bane of my airsoft existence. Can someone please update these things. One 40 round regular magazine is included. It is the standard Tokyo Marui G36 Magazine with dummy bullets and C clips for attaching magazines to each other. The magazine is sturdy and well built, and the BBs feed with no issues. Due to the distance from the magazine to the nozzle, about three BBs are left in the mag well feeding tube. There is no bolt lock function on the G36 Custom, so the magazines have no extras bits on them. It's nice to not have to buy custom magazines for the G36 blowback series, but I would be willing to if that meant lock back and magazines that could fit in pouches without getting caught on the C clips and attachment nubs. Hours of MAGPUL reload drills, and for what? Damn you G36 magazines!

The left hand markings are also in this area. They read...

10.MarkingLeft.jpg

Movin on Up Shorty

Past the magazine well we get to the hand guard. The G36C Custom has the same sized hand guard as the previously released G36C (non-blow back) but the custom now comes with three full length rails for accessories. The added real estate is a welcome addition to the G36 Custom, and it also saves the user from having to buy extra rails. I feel this also adds positive weight to the gun, which previously felt a bit light in the front. I tried to fit my WE G36 RAS onto the G36C but it didn't fit. I wasn't expecting it to, but it was worth a try.

11.LeftRail.jpg

The second accessory included with the G36 Custom is a short vertical fore grip. By all accounts it is a standard Tango Down style QD stubby fore grip with a dual bar mounting system. There are two bars inside the grip that lock into the grooves of the G36's rails. You slide it on by pulling down on the spring weighted tabs that pull down the bars. Or so I thought. Try as I might, I couldn't pull down on these tabs. Turns out, this is a Knights type fore grip disguised as a stubby. You unscrew the bottom of the grip and this allows the bars to drop. After sliding it into position you tighten the bottom, and it is held in place. I think Tokyo Marui should have gone with one design or the other, not this confusing and pointless hybrid. Perhaps they thought that people would replace it anyway. If that's the case, just don't include it and save me a few yen.

12.VertGrip.jpg

At the front of the gun, past the hand guard, is the flash hider. This is a Tokyo Marui standard CCW threaded 4 prong hider. It screws off easily and is not held in place with a grub screw. There is a rubber washer where the flash hider meets the outer barrel. A silencer is easily installed, and the rubber washer keeps the silencer from contacting the hand guard.

13.FlashHider.jpg

The only real difference on the right hand side of the G36 is the ejection port. This can be opened by pulling on the charging handle, which sits in-between the top mount rail and the body of the G36.

14.RightSide.jpg

The charging handle can swing left or right, and can be held in place by push in on the handle when it has been swung left or right 90 degrees. Pulling back on the charging handle opens the ejection port 3 or 4cm. Behind the ejection port is the hop-up dial. The ejection port can't be locked in place, so you will have to manipulate the hop-up with one hand while pulling on the charging handle with the other.

15.ChargingHandle.jpg

The Tokyo Marui hop-up is easy to adjust, and is very effective. Time will tell if the unit falls out of true as a result of the vibration introduced by the blowback system, but at this point it seems sturdy.

16.Hop-up.jpg

The other markings are on the right hand side and they read...

17.MarkingRight.jpg

Along the top of the weapon is the one piece aluminum rail. It measures 32.5cm, and does not include front or rear iron sights. There is enough real estate on the rail to install MBUS style sights, an Eotech, and a laser unit up front. If you enjoy pimpin your guns as much as you enjoy playing with them, than the G36C Custom is ready to accommodate you.

Locked and loaded

Installing a battery into the G36C is fairly easy. Simply remove the hand guard pin and gently slide the hand guard off by pulling it towards the flash hider. Inside you will see the tamiya connector, fuse, and a curved plastic lip to sit your battery on. There is also a small metal hook that you can use to hang extra battery cable on. Tokyo Marui recommends an 8.4 volt 1300mAh miniS battery. I was able to fit a small 7.4 Lipo easily, and a longer one with a bit of squeezing. Players should have no problems fitting a wide range of lipo batteries in the hand guard.

18.Battery.jpg

When you have the hand guard off you will see the gas piston. This is the source of the recoil. When the trigger is pulled, an aluminum block on the top of the mech box pulls the piston along a guide rod. The spring pushes the piston back into place, independent from the mechbox, after each shot, causing the blow back effect. The gas piston on the G36C is shorter than on the G36K (as one would expect). I haven't fired a G36K, but I wonder if the shorter gas piston rod makes for a stronger or weaker recoil?

19.GasTube.jpg

Once the battery is in, gently slide the hand guard back on. I find inverting the gun helps, as the batteries and wires often have a habit of falling out of place and getting in the way of the hand guard as it tries to slot back into place. If you are having trouble, don't force it. Pull it apart again and make sure the battery isn't in the way. I also find that the flash hider can sometimes get in the way, so make sure you aren't sliding the hand guard on at a weird angle.

Now that we have our battery in, let's fire the thing already!

F.F.A.P (Finally Fire, Accuracy, Power)

My initial impression when firing the G36C on semi-auto was that there was much less recoil than the M4 series. After switching back and forth a few times, I realized that the recoil wasn't more or less as much as just different. It is all very subjective, but I feel the G36C more in the front hand, and the M4 in the shoulder. Switch to full auto and the blowback becomes much more noticeable and exponentially more enjoyable. I could definitely feel the front end start to wobble.

Using an Xcortech X3200 chrono I had the following results...

1. 92.08

2. 91.02

3. 90.87

4. 91.67

5. 91.09

6. 90.8

7. 91.34

8. 91.13

9. chrono error

10. chrono error

11. 90.12

12. 91.27

13. 92.3

Average = 91.24

This is a respectable reading, and is just a slight bit more than my Sopmod tested at when I first got it. This leaves a little room for a tight bore barrel, but a spring upgrade will probably take it over Japanese law (1J).

For my accuracy test I set up a Marui Pro Target at 12 meters. After sighting my dot, I fired two sets of five rounds for 10 shots in total. This was with .20 Marui BBs and the hop untouched. The first 5 rounds gave a grouping of 4.6cm x 5.4cm. The second set of rounds came in much tighter with a 2.9cm x 3.0cm grouping.

20.G36CAccuracy.jpg

This was after about 500 random rounds fired while testing the blowback, adjusting my dot, and getting a feel for the gun. There were no fliers. The G36C shares the same barrel as the AKS74U, and comes in at 260mm. I imagine both power and accuracy would improve with a tight bore barrel and I will try both a 260mm Prometheus and a 363mm Madbull Python (hidden with a silencer).

Conclusion

The G36C Custom is an enjoyable gun with a grin inducing recoil. I wouldn't put the blowback anywhere near my WE G36C GBB, but over the course of writing this review (past 4 days) I keep sneaking down stairs whenever I have a chance to fire a couple more magazines. I don't think that there is any real added value to the custom part of the package, and I could probably do without the vertical fore grip and the cheek rest. The rubber grip on the other hand is excellent, and I will try and find one for my WE G36 as well. At nearly $25 though I am hoping I can find a more affordable option.

I have already ordered my M4 magwell/magazine adapter. As much as I love the G36C, I hate the magazines more.

So my verdict?

The recoil, rubber grip, and healthy battery space combined with the accuracy and power (for Japan's 1J law) make the G36C a keeper. I am neutral on the fore grip and cheek rest, as I will remove them and use something else eventually. The only real minus on the G36C is the magazine. I just don't like clipping them together, and they are a both an eyesore and a pain to use during a game. I also miss the lock back function found on the M4 series. I would recommend this gun to someone looking for their first recoil engine gun, but not their first airsoft weapon. The extra cost for the battery, the sights, and the mags make it overly expensive, but if you have those things kicking around already, then this gun is for you. If you are an M4 enthusiast ,or want a weapon that is a bit more realistic, I would have to say the M4 series wins out in this respect. On the other hand, if you are a fan of the G36C then this is a great investment. You just might find yourself unable to go back to a regular sewing machine, I mean AEG, after using a blowback.

21.DressUp.jpg

Review originally posted at ginganinga.com

Edited by dstole

Thanks Isamu,

I am still working on some video, but want to wait until I have skirmished it before posting the vids.

I ordered a conversion kit about 30 minutes OK :)

Will report back on that as well.

Thats great mate! only videos beat pics :D

Looking forward to that skirmish and compatibility report, but is the barrel and hop chamber as easy to reach as the regular G36C?

Thanks!

Atsalakotos,

Marui isn't selling these items on there own yet, but like the stock on the CQB-R, I guess they will come out eventually. Probably need to wait a bit so that people that bought teh G36C Custom don't feel like they were paying for parts that could have been optional purchases.

Berserk,

As far as I can tell the G36C is the same internally as the G36K.

Redwolf has a take down video here...

It would seem that there are some proprietary parts involved.

how does it sound vs the m4 sopmod>? I know on some videos the TM sopmod doesnt sound as impressive until you actually shoot it in person. Right now, im looking at videos at the g36c and 36k and wondering how this really sounds compared to the sopmod. Any insight? In the videos, the g36 series sound like clicks when the bolt moves back and forth. How different does it sound in person?

how does it sound vs the m4 sopmod>? I know on some videos the TM sopmod doesnt sound as impressive until you actually shoot it in person. Right now, im looking at videos at the g36c and 36k and wondering how this really sounds compared to the sopmod. Any insight? In the videos, the g36 series sound like clicks when the bolt moves back and forth. How different does it sound in person?

Honzo, I made a comparison video. The camera is the same distance away, so you can make some assumptions about volume.

You can also see blowback.

I feel that you feel the M4 in the shoulder and the G36C in the hands. I think there is less recoil in the G36C than the G36K because the piston is shorter.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have always preferred the C to the K, as I don't like the carrying handle, and I enjoy swapping my optics as needed. With the new Magpul G36 magazines out now, it makes these real attractive :)

The K and the C sound very similar. The best sounding of all the EBB, in my mind, is the SCAR.

Did you see my M4 vs G36C video? That will give you a sense of the volume of the two from camera position, not from the shooters ear. The M4 seems louder when firing because the blowback is right beside your ear.

Anyway, I have moved back to M4 for now, but will always like the G36C.