WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

I always assumed that the WE magazine capacity of 30+2 is that, the mag takes 32 rounds total, but then has to be loaded with bolt/nozzle locked back, because it is "maxed out" and has no play in the spring. So, it would be recommended to only load 30 rounds, but it will take 32. Same with all guns really, don't load it so the spring can't flex 2 BB's up and down...

I always assumed that the WE magazine capacity of 30+2 is that, the mag takes 32 rounds total, but then has to be loaded with bolt/nozzle locked back, because it is "maxed out" and has no play in the spring. So, it would be recommended to only load 30 rounds, but it will take 32. Same with all guns really, don't load it so the spring can't flex 2 BB's up and down...

Ohhh I see, so you don't smash the bottom of the bolt when you put the mag in, right?

Yes, I always load my mags with a speedloader and then take out two BBs so I won't have problems if I insert the mag with the bolt/nozzle forward.

Back on topic;

What is the real steel capacity of the AK magazines ? Because WE always aim for RS capacity, I would think the 50 rounds is more correct. I have no idea how they would manage it to shoot a full 50 round mag with a single 12g CO2 capsule though, if those mags ever come out :o

Well, it's being advertised on retailers as 30 rounds, the box sais 30 rounds, but it holds 50. My guess would be WE just let it be so that people can decide for themselves what they wanna run. But a BB limiter/spacer would be nice because if you load it with a speedloader it's a *badgeress* to know if when you got 30 rounds in... Sucks to load up 50 and then have to poke 20 out... :|

Anyone broken a magazine appart to see how the spring and follower look and how you could limit the capacity ?

Edited by NonEx

Little bit of additional info, Redwolf claims the mag holds 50 rounds which seems odd for WE.

They are advertised for the usual 30 + 2 rounds.

Tested one of mine and sure enough 49 BB's loaded into the mag.

This potentially may be the cause of Pariah's neice's problem, constant overloading causing the spring to weaken and not push the pin stop up?

You know this might actually be the issue. The mags can load more than 30, that is for sure. I am no expert on this, but it could be. Sadly loading less BBs didn't fix it so these mags might be just screwed.

I can also report that the Ultimak rail fits without much fuss. I had to file it just a little on the bottom and shim it with a manila envelope clasp painted black to stop some side-to-side wobble. The optic mounts up to it nicely and she could care less about the rear sight now since the optic is way higher.

The gun also has one more, not as hard, session of playing under its' belt. Holding up mystifyingly well too! Only the paint is really showing the wear-and-tear bad now. Even the gun case seems to scuff it.

Edited by Pariah_WP

Pushing the guide rod down does increase the rate of fire quite well.

There is MUCH less resistance when you pull the bolt with the guide rod pushed down.

Worth doing this mod.

Also, to install a NPAS the nozzle needs to be modified like other WE GBBR's, just needs filing.

Consistency isnt great with the npas though, stick with the stock valve if you can.

Skirmished mine today.

Good points:

Fun as hell

Loud

Accurate

Good range

Bad parts:

Disconnecter has snapped clean off, I can only use auto now.

Part of the selector (internally) has snapped.

yay pot metal.

Anyone know where or who I can contact to get spares?

Images of both broken bits.

z2ZTx.jpg

9FrzJ.jpg

Whoa, that really bites!!

Curious to see what WE will say about this...not too promising. I haven't shot mine after the 1st 500 rounds; it isn't like there are abundant parts around right now...

Looks like this is the weekend of breakage. Plinking this weekend my niece broke part of the hammer off and something else...that I have yet to figure out what was. The weapon still shoots fine, but wear is showing up on the selector in the same place as Reppyboyo. While it hasn't broken there is a hairline crack towards the barrel right up against the selector cradle. That tells me that this is a really common problem.

She is on magazine 59 apparently. I asked her to leave it be until I can find a selector part to replace this one if it falls out. I don't think she is going to listen though since she is sick as a dog and bored. lol

Does RA Tech sell this part yet?