WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

Because their spokeperson said WE parts don't break unless user abuse it.

its a whole cascade

Firing pin upgrade requires valve lock and hammer upgrade or else it will break

Hammer upgrade means trigger, disconnector, and bolt carrier upgrade

when you upgrade bolt carrier prices goes up dramatically.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

anybody else starting to think there is weight to the rumors that WE make the guns with pure *suitcase* for internals just so RATECH can skim the profits off the aftermarket bits?

Why doesent WE just spend that extra $50-60 ontop of the price of the gun and put decent *suitcase* inside it so you dont get these kind of breakages

I would believe it if this would be the case throughout the entire range but some models work pretty well ootb ( WE M4/M16 OB, G36 ), others need just a few pieces ( one piece trigger cage/M14, extra buffers/hingle plate|SCAR ) and others are almost complete failure ( AK, PDW ) ...

Im alive, just too tired yesterday to write and work today.

I doubt RA-tech have a deal with WE, that rumour has been going around a while.

Surely in that case RA-Tech should have parts out right away instead of some time after the release of a product? (in the AK's case, about a month and a bit)

I would be MORE than happy to pay extra for WE GBBR's if they came with steel internals out of the box, it really baffles me why they dont see that shipping their GBBR's with cheese metal internals is damaging their reputation more with every release.

Its a very good system just as always let down by the materials. (The externals are usually quite nice though).

I wouldn't class the PDW as a failure btw, I really liked mine and the only problems I recall was the hammer pin coming out (common issue) and the bolt lock never working.

Open bolt version btw.

Anyway, what happened at my skirmish with the AK?

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUN

It made it through the day, got many a kill and only had a few issues.

1) First issue was a magazine problem.

Thought it was the gun at first which was gutting but turned out to be the mag, yay!

The mag shell is mounted to the internals via a single screw (typical WE style).

Although the screw is larger than previous WE mags it is still a weak point, somehow the part is connects to on the shell split in half and I managed to push the internals out slightly, causing the AK to jam.

Bit of glue later and all is sorted.

As I do not drop my mags I can only conclude that it broke from the pressure of me pushing the gas can down on it. So for avoiding this just hold the mag at the bottom whilst filling with gas.

Out of interest, what are modern real 74 mags made of? Bakelite still?

2) Selector 'jamming'

This is a problem with the RA-Tech selector paddle, not a WE problem.

The part (#99, which we will call the selector pin for now) that holds the selector plate on and is screwed into the selector paddle has a lot of movement in the RA-tech part.

In the stock WE part the selector pin is rock solid and does not move.

The RA-tech part is a bit odd in that the hold which the selector pin goes into has two holes either side of it allowing this movement, Im not sure what RA-tech was thinking here (will take a pic sometime).

Easy enough fix, 2-3 layers of teflon tape (or similar, your choice) on the part of the selector pin that gets inserted into and install.

This fixes MOST of the movement however there is a little slop still, may have to go back and add an additional layer.

What I found was going from Safe > auto the AK would stay in safe. (the paddle barely moved).

However, going from Safe > Semi > Auto it would work fine in both modes.

3) Additional jamming?

I not sure of this one but I did get a couple of odd 'jams' in the day which Im not sure if they were the above issue or just the trigger parts breaking in.

It did get much better on the second half of the day.

Thats it!

The AK appears to be solid now with some teething issues.

I have a single concern though.

This part (not my picture):

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/asnzauckland/Misc/Projects/extGas/?action=view&current=IMG_5971.jpg

This is not replaced with a steel counterpart.

It functions like the rod in the M4 style trigger box.

The part holds the hammer down until it is pushed fully forward by the bolt. (Mostly for auto)

I can see this part wearing down quickly and possible causing issues, time will tell.

Finally, here is an in-action bit for funsies.

054cq.jpg

Thanks for the report. It's appreciated.

Out of interest, what are modern real 74 mags made of? Bakelite still?

A friend of mine has steel, polymer, and bakelite magazines for his real AK74. Plumb polymer seem to be the most common, judging by the selection at the local surplus shop. The bakelites seem to be rarer, and priced accordingly, in comparison.

That depends, the hop is more than capable of reaching out to decent AEG range if not more, plus it has excellent accuracy.

However, the limited ammo and the loud crack of the AK is a limiting factor. (Sure gets heads down)

I suppose it depends on your play style.

A friend of mine has steel, polymer, and bakelite magazines for his real AK74. Plumb polymer seem to be the most common, judging by the selection at the local surplus shop. The bakelites seem to be rarer, and priced accordingly, in comparison.

I wonder if its possible to mod real steel mags to fit the gas internals?

Been done with P & E mags for m4s.

Edited by Reppyboyo

I've been wondering that too. I think it would be possible, considering you can with the M4 mags. I don't have any 74 mags on hand to measure, though. But I can't see the gas internals being too big.

Plus, I'm not too keen on picking up this AK, though. I'm still leaning towards the GHK.

Edited by Grindstone

Modern AK74 mags are all black.

But you still see bakelite mags around because they are all in use(best loadout would be a mix of all three colors).

Plum color is due to the black dyes making the magazines weaker(so the factory lessened the amount until the strength is sufficient and ended up with plum color).

Edited by adadqgg

What happened to the one which only reduced it by about 1cm?

It is in a shop in Taiwan and I do not think they will just sell the kit(could be an upgrade service) right now because it is much more complicated than WE's solution.

Edited by adadqgg
  • 1 month later...

Some PMC parts turning up on CWI.

More importantly the AK47 style mag which comes in at $57.12 each! Ouch.

EDIT: Just spotted it as ASG:

http://www.airsoftglobal.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=552_553&products_id=14986

Edited by Reppyboyo

That's a huge step in the wrong direction. I though WE mags were supposed to be getting cheaper??

At least that is more steel(?) on the WE.

Unfortunately, the PMC AKM has about as much potmetal part as a Cyma...(aluminum barrel this time...).

At least that is more steel(?) on the WE.

Unfortunately, the PMC AKM has about as much potmetal part as a Cyma...(aluminum barrel this time...).

Steel on the mag? The only steel they need is the case. The internals of the mags for the rest of their lineup are fine. Still doesn't justify spending almost $60 on a mag. This ain't no WA.

I don't expect the internals to be made from super strong tungsten carbide, but as long as the externals are just as good as most of the AK AEGs on the market, I'd be fine with it. The only issue I ever had was when I broke the threading off of a CYMA AKM barrel, trying to remove the orange muzzle. Pro-tip: heat the glue first.

• 2 weeks later...