WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

You may want to read up on the previous page then. There's a video on how to reinforce the trigger casing with epoxy, and there's my method of cushioning the hammer. Since you have RATech parts on, you may want to inspect if the hammer is actually touching the casing (where it commonly breaks) and  file the hammer as necessary so that it shouldn't.

and yea I had to file the base of the trigger to make it work because it was too tight problem I have now is the firing pin return spring mine is stuffed I will have to get a new one or bodgy one out of my many AEG spring sets I have

• 2 weeks later...

Renegade, I was wondering what you did to secure the spring on your recoil buffer. I see that you bolted yours on, so I thinking maybe you either tapped behind the recoil buffer, but to what extent? Or did you just drill through and used a nut to secure the bolt? I was impatient so I set my spring on the based and soldered it on just to try is out. It's working alright but it doesn't look as nice as the one you made. Could you post more perspectives? Maybe a third-angle projection? :)

Edited by NightFury

The plate is new. The end of the spring has a reduced diameter to slot an M3 screw through and the screw is threaded directly on the plate. I ground the other end of the spring flat, but after only 200 or so rounds I noticed it was stating to dig into the bolt carrier so I glued a patch of rubber on the spring to protect the bolt from further damage (not in picture). Might be why the FG version has two springs to increase surface area. I'll take pics of the rof booster tomorrow  with dimensions when there's better lighting and provide dimensions as well. I can't disassemble it though as the rubber patch I glued on blocks the way to the screw head.

The plate outer dimensions are identical to the original and is 2mm thick. From the screw at the top that holds it to the cover latch the M3 screw holding the spring is exactly 7.5mm below it (center to center) which makes the M3 screw come into contact at the very bottom edge of the hole where the original plunger goes into. The spring is a VSR-10 M130. Using 6 coils the bolt is able to make full travel as it compresses the spring a bit but there's room for around 2 more coils before the bolt catch/selector can't engage the bolt anymore.

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6096.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

Other than having to pad the VSR spring and reattaching the rubber strip on the hammer (was picking on it like a scab so my fault) everytings doing fine. Just got extra mags for it and got me over 1k rounds today. Maybe an extra 1-200 if you include dry firing. A couple of the mags had the lever that lifted the valve knocker a bit sticky so I had to round out the detent making it easier to flick.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a second hand AKSU the other day, and true to form after one or two mags the hammer broke, though around the axle this time, not the usual place.

Dropped a haesphestus hammer set in there and it fit like a dream. Doesn't catch on the trigger box either, as far as i can tell.

I plan on getting a lct ak104 front-end and a we pmc barrel and making myself a GBB ak104 with a full bolt travel. :D

That was without the hammer buffer. I assume the previous owner gave the gun a bit of a hammering.

Right now my concern is getting the power down to a reasonable level. With a Madbull 6.03 and a PDI w-hold its doing 1.7j, which is just a tad hot for CQB, even in Hong Kong.

• 2 weeks later...

For the shim, I assume you place them in the rocket valve or at the inside of the nozzle?

For me, I ended up getting a spare rocket valve from another TM GBB pistol which puts it at 1.1J.

Unfortunately, it works amazingly in semi auto, lovely and consistent, but in full auto the consistency goes to pot and the thing spits bbs every which way. I dunno if that's the valve being off-spec or the hop-up rubber or barrel moving in full auto.

That being said, it's got a big intimidation factor in CQB!

• 2 months later...

Bit of a downer update for the interested, my gun broke today, well, sort of broke. After roughly 3,000 rounds of having zero malfunctions, the bolt seized on me mid game. When I got back home to sort it out, I found that the disconnector on the trigger had broken making me lose semi-auto functionality. It still works fine with full-auto but I think it's time for me to call this little science experiment over and do the mandatory steel overhaul. My hammer remains intact though despite two cracks observed on other areas except where the hammer is most commonly known to break. All in all, not too bad considering it's lasted me six months now. My only problem is that there's something wrong going on with the local post making all parcels arrive two months late.

Edited by renegadecow

Hephaestus. Will be ordering a set in the morning. Technically I can still use the gun on full-auto and find out how long before the hammer does break. I could also try and repair the disconnector with the Lumiweld I got earlier. But for what it's been worth I think the stock parts have provided me more than enough fun and view the steel replacements as more of an upgrade than a fix.