WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

They fit RS furniture with little modification so I'm guessing the Magpul stuff should easily enough. Only for the AKM PMC model though as I don't think they've come up with AKS74U ones yet.

Regarding the mags, for the GHK crowd I read that the incorrect curvature of the mag is what's keeping them from doing it. Not sure if they were referring to 7.62 or 5.45 and which generation GHK though. For the WE, I think it's the amount of labor involved that's keeping people from even trying.

Here's a crazy idea for the RS magazines...

What if you cut up the original WE magazine internals, and just cement them into the body of the RS magazine to make it air-tight, and then use the RS magazine as a gas container?

I doubt that the RS PMAG polymer would not be able to withstand 140 PSI pressure... :o

Aaah, wait. Looks like the front locking tab on the top of the magazine will be getting cut off to fit the internals flush with the nozzle and BCG in the rifle.

Edited by NonEx

If it's mostly just a height issue, you can graft the top part of the WE mag (the part with the locking tabs) onto whatever useful part of the RS mag that's left sort of like a TK M4 mag.

kjw-mg-29-m4-sm_2_mark.jpg

As for using the actual shell to hold the gas, you're better off converting the guys into a GHK type with the cylinders holding the gas.

Edited by renegadecow

Yeeeh, I don't think I'm going to bother... Just suprised no one is making PMAG style shells for WE AK magazines :o

Also, I started a project tonight which might go either way.. Chopped off my AK bolts charging handle to install something else and make it ambi :D

Going to the store tomorrow to get the tools I need to complete the job... We'll see if I succeed or if I have to contact KIC for WE replacement parts hehe :P

Also sent an inquiry to Brownells Sweden about getting the MAGPUL AK parts.

Edited by NonEx

Thanks jkpics! Nice! Gonna get me one of those and throw on an RMR sight :D

I think I read just about everything except that part :P

I also think I managed to do my ambi bolt mod... :o

I can't believe it myself...

nx_we_ak_74_ambi_bolt_mod.JPG

Got some minor fitting and filing to do still to make it travel smoothly. Hardware temporarily covered with black electrical tape. Not sure what I'm gonna do about it.

I guess I'll need that RoF kit now :D

Edited by NonEx
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Epoxy reinforcement takes all of $5 and a bit of patience. Better than worrying about when your GHK is going to mangle its Nth nozzle and/or hop chamber.

Ahh, yea I finished reinforcing it and installing RA internals. Hopefully all goes well

If it's worth anything, both the RATech and Hephaestus sets are CNC'd only it seems the RATech ones were machined on a table with one leg short. As for WE's offering, they should just slap those in on new guns as the fact that they're making them is an unmistakable admission that their original parts are faulty. What they need to make are kits to easily turn their only two AKs into other flavors if not release them as completely new guns altogether. 

If it's worth anything, both the RATech and Hephaestus sets are CNC'd only it seems the RATech ones were machined on a table with one leg short. As for WE's offering, they should just slap those in on new guns as the fact that they're making them is an unmistakable admission that their original parts are faulty. What they need to make are kits to easily turn their only two AKs into other flavors if not release them as completely new guns altogether. 

What else is bad on the RA ones minus the hammer breaking the housing and the selector piece not working?