WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

So...

Proof of concept derp fitment. But it appears the WE AK 47 PMC magazine internals can be fitted into RS MAGPUL MOE AK 47 PMAG shells :)

nx_we_ak_pmc_pmag_shell_poc.JPG

Probably should not have cut out the back for the locking tab of the magazine. It just seemed easier and better than cutting of the tab on the magazine, but looks bad. I am sure it can be done that way though.

It's kind of a lot of work. Considering the cost, time and effort required it's questionable if it's worth it.

But then again, it appears that I will be able to fit the stock, grip and handguard to my WE AK, I kind of feel like I have to go all out and do the magazines as well :o

Amazing that the curve of the WE AK PMC magazines actually are the same as the RS shell ;)

So yeah, definately needs more time, measurements and attention to details go get the fit just right. But as it is now it seats in the magazine well, bolt moves kind of OK over it. But ya know, getting reliable BB feeding and gas route rubber seal to be just right... Uuurgh :o

EDIT: Somone told me on Facebook that MAGPUL might announce Ak74 PMAGs at Shot Show 2016 in January. So I will hold out for that. The WE 74 mags are easier to work in as all tabs are on the shell. Less messing around with modding :D

And it will be more accurate for my rifle!

Maybe they will announce the AK74UN handguard too :P

Edited by NonEx
  • Like 1
  • Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

Had to take a step back from the modding madness. Assembled the sucker, took a step back, inhaled, and took in what is about to come.

90% complete. Joining and fitting of handguard is up next. And then it needs a good cleaning and full assembly :D

Magazine will be for display only for now since I hear 74 mags are coming.

Surprisingly when shouldering it now, it feels very much like my WE MP5A2 in terms of overall feel, stock, forend etc. Which is not bad :) 

nx_we_ak_magpul_full_preview.png

Edited by NonEx
  • Like 2

Alright, noted. :)

Is that like 100% confirmed info? :o

If it is I won't even bother waiting for 74 PMAGs or try to get one to mod. Might as well go ahead with the 47 and PMC magazines then.

I guess unless there's a 40 round AK 74 mags, that could work, but would look silly IMO. Don't like those long mags.

Whichever of the two works will get done.

Guess cutting a WE 74 mag chamber to fit is not even worth thinking about.

Ah, this will be a *bramston pickle* AK 47 / 74 mash up :D

Edited by NonEx

I suppose. I already posted on their FB and they gave it a Like but who knows. Aaawh well. RS AK 47 PMAGs ain't that bad :D

I have to slow down on my spending sprees anyways so it will be a couple of months before I move forwards with mags. Will see what happens during that time.

• 3 weeks later...

They showed a prototype CO2 mag once during launch but nothing ever came out of it. Have not seen any aftermarket CO2 mags either.

I'm working on the pinning for my handguard now. The plan is to oversize the holes a bit and let them set with glue once joined. More for vertical and horizontal integrity than for alignment.

nx_ak_handguar_pins.JPG

• 1 month later...

The marriage of the two halves of the MAGPUL MOE AK47 handguard has been officiated :P

Twelve 20mm pins are inserted between the two halves. Superglued and pressed/clamped together. Going to melt the inner seam with a soldering iron.

Definately not going to be a pretty join. So yeah, probably going to stipple over that part. Make it like a "band" around the outer seam.

we_ak_magpul_moe_handguard_join.JPG

Also, cleaning my WE AK 74UN parts since it got seriously gunked up from all the modding I have done :D

nx_we_ak_washing.JPG

Edited by NonEx

Yeeh, no doubt it has taken some time and patience but in the end I think it will be worth it for a very unique WE AK GBBR :)

Not to mention it feels like a million bucks in this setup. Like, not just tacticool, but it feels great to shoulder. Like I said before it reminds me a lot of my WE MP5A2 (full stock) when holding it now. Which is not bad.

Although I have to say there was something very appealing with the original stock and furniture. Before I handled the WE AK 74 I always thought of the AK platform as a "shovel" tool compared to an electric powered multi-tool (AR15), but I really like the AK platform!

But by the time I finish MAGPUL AK furniture will be out of style already. lol :D

Edited by NonEx

Nice :)

AKs are misunderstood, and haven't been exposed to "free market forces" which encourages development and customisation.

As much as I like my AR15 SBRs, I feel just as comfortable with my friend's NHM90 w/AIMS sidefolder stock, hitting out reliably to 200m+.  They just work, and can throw rocks a long way.

Well there is lots of stuff for the ak, mostly not American made.

Most people who own aks don't want anything on their ak at all.

As far as airsoft is concerned, like I been saying for a while now is id love to see some innovations go into other platforms so I can stop reading "another m4".

Edited by Alias1983
  • 1 month later...

http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152209273-G74A-GBBR-subcarbine-replica.html?product=1152209273
Cheap copy from the Well. One of my friend have this one, it is looks to be the same as the WE AKs74UN is. It has the following steel parts: receiver, front-set holder, stock, dust cover, hammer, sear, fire-pin. The lower has an addictional buffer. The first test, results seem to be good. The build quality is much better as the Army's G36 copy has - much, much better....

Edited by Batmause

http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152209273-G74A-GBBR-subcarbine-replica.html?product=1152209273

Cheap copy from the Well. One of my friend have this one, it is looks to be the same as the WE AKs74UN is. It has the following steel parts: receiver, front-set holder, stock, dust cover, hammer, sear, fire-pin. The lower has an addictional buffer. The first test, results seem to be good. The build quality is much better as the Army's G36 copy has - much, much better....

Well, colour me interested, especially for that price.

Also, as I dearly miss my 4x WE AKs, here is a picture of three of them. Can't wait to get them shipped over to the UK.

IMG_8637_zpsb96e506b.jpg

• Like 1

I recently bought one of these used, with a RA-Tech trigger set already installed.

I fiddled about with it, and everything seemed fine.  However, when I used it in a game on Saturday, the semi-auto wouldn't work.  I pulled the trigger, and nothing would happen (hammer did not drop).

It appears to work fine in full-auto, but semi-auto is completely unresponsive.

Any ideas on what it might be?  (I'm planning on taking a more detailed look at it this evening, but since I didn't do the install of the trigger set, I haven't had any experience with taking the internals apart and putting them back together).

Thanks.

So, after the gun sat on the shelf for a while after this problem cropped up, I picked up the gun a few weeks ago. After doing a bit of racking the bolt and dry firing to see if the problem would appear, the hammer spring broke.

Just finished swapping to a new one, and as of yet, the problem hasn't recurred. I'll let you all know if the problem comes back, but for now I'm chalking it up to hammer spring degrading until it finally broke.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ran into something a bit worrisome with my AK while putting in heavier, more realistic 5lb trigger springs. As many of you know, Hephaestus steel hammers aren't machined as one piece but are segmented. Well, the weld on mine had come undone (don't know when) and is rattling in place however it won't come off and is actually still perfectly functional. I don't have a welder so for now I'm going to try and hammer at the dovetail so the loose piece gets pinched more so hopefully will not require future rewelding.

IMG_8170.jpg

IMG_8169.jpg