WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

The cracking is most likely due too the weld hardening too fast, which leads to brittleness of the joint, and shrinkage that increases likelyhood of cracking.

A new hammer just needs to be heated it up with a propane torch just before it gets red hot, and re-temper in oil.

Wondering if its possible to convert the WE AKS74U into a BIZON?

Edited by 3vi1-D4n
  • 2 weeks later...

One other thing I found with the HP sets is that their full auto sear has too much material on the bit that interacts with the bolt, leading to inconsistent full auto as the hammer falls before the bolt is fully in battery.

Taking about 1-2mm off it in the right place makes all the difference.

One other thing I found with the HP sets is that their full auto sear has too much material on the bit that interacts with the bolt, leading to inconsistent full auto as the hammer falls before the bolt is fully in battery.

Taking about 1-2mm off it in the right place makes all the difference.

Could you elaborate on that please?  After installing the kit, my full auto is pitiful.  It is especially bad when combined with the WE short stroke kit--BBs basically just spit out the barrel.

IIRC the surface of the auto sear facing the hammer is a bit fat and at a wider angle so that pressure from the hammer defeats it causing irregular strikes to the valve. You'll need to file the angle back so it positively engages the hammer and that pressure from the hammer just locks it up even more.

• 2 weeks later...

How many skirmishes do you think a stock WE AK would last on semi-auto only?

Other than the RA-Tech steel internals set, what other longevity upgrades are recommended?

It seems that I can at least add a rear bolt buffer and a pad on the hammer as seen in the last few posts.

Average for the hammer to break is 2k rounds. With the rubber buffer I was able to stretch mine a little further than that before the disconnector broke. I do not advise getting the RATech kit. If you can't find Hephaestus you may as well just keep replacing them with stock parts since they're cheap enough. There's also a kit by WE but haven't seen those in person.

I had a stock hammer it is has been okay for About 15000 shots! And that is pretty good for a stock hammer, i think going through manny reviews, maybe a lucky hammer.

My firing pin broke first, i could get an new one from hepheastus, it was a drop in. Then the hammer spring broke, i had some springsteel and made my own. Recently i did some maintenance on my AK and when i polished the hammer i found a tiny crack, barly visable close to the mounting axle. Better replace while it stillworks.

I have been searching for a replacement and ended up in Hongkong for a steel WE made hammer. I will keep you guy's updated on my experience with this part. Any other brands were hard/impossible to get. I contacted kyairsoft.com the made a very good offer and decent shipping to Holland.

The RA Tech parts kit has received some bad press for fitment issues.  The Hephaestus set goes in pretty easy, though I did have to buff some tooling marks out with emery cloth.  And I also picked up a wonky issue with full auto, but I'm not positive that it's from the parts kit...

You might as well order the parts--the hammer will fail.  To my under-educated eye, the parts in the pic look stock to me.

I have both sets, installed 3-4 years ago.  Both the RA tech disconnector and the hephaetus disconnector had issues. 

Hephaetus disconnector wouldn't fit the hephaetus hammer, while the RA tech disconnector would jam up with the hammer when the bolt travel backwards and the trigger was pulled fully, as angle of the disconnector cut was incorrect.  If the trigger was lightly pulled the hammer would slip past the disconnector and work, but if the trigger was pulled fully the hammer would hit the disconnector and fail to work.

Of course the other thing is the Hephaetus hammer finishing is unrefined, hence there are still cut marks from the CNC process where that wears the bolt carrier, that just requires sanding.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

I have both sets, installed 3-4 years ago.  Both the RA tech disconnector and the hephaetus disconnector had issues. 

Hephaetus disconnector wouldn't fit the hephaetus hammer, while the RA tech disconnector would jam up with the hammer when the bolt travel backwards and the trigger was pulled fully, as angle of the disconnector cut was incorrect.  If the trigger was lightly pulled the hammer would slip past the disconnector and work, but if the trigger was pulled fully the hammer would hit the disconnector and fail to work.

Of course the other thing is the Hephaetus hammer finishing is unrefined, hence there are still cut marks from the CNC process where that wears the bolt carrier, that just requires sanding.

Had that on my RA Tech _built_ WE AK74UN with RA steel internals... :| 

You know things are not right when the thing has issues even when it is straight from the manufacturer/installer of the stuff...

I fixed mine by shortening the two prong legs on the "thingy" (can't recall if it's the trigger, hammer or disconnector...) and adjusting the angle of my selector plate thingy a bit.

Edited by NonEx

After ten days my steel hammer and Firing Pin Delay Stop arrived yesteday.

Both parts made by WE i installed then today and it was a allmost smooth fit. The Firing Pin Delay Stop had to be sanded just a little bit with very fine grain sandpaper.

I had some double shots on single shot, but i blame this on the parts that having to brake in.

For now Im happy with these parts.

A bit strange to me that non of you guy's have tried brand own parts, what is that?

I'll post photo's of the parts, you guy's using hepheastus or RaTech can tell if they look the same.

Greetz

Edited by Ro de Boer

I always thought the WE steel parts were just like second rate QC RA Tech parts for whatever reason :D

I mean, how many companies can make steel internals for the same rifle.

And WE price is close to RA parts too so.

I dunno.

Edited by NonEx

My 74u finally hit the 70k mark on stock internals. Seems all that is needed is some small buffer on the hammer like Renegade mentioned a couple years back. I used a sorbo pad on mine and glued an eraser to buffer the bolt. Wear is minimal. I use a pencil and rub graphite on my hammer and sears to smooth out the action instead of lube, and maybe that helped a bit, but it probably didn't.