WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

So my AK survived its first skirmish I've probably run like 300 rounds through her. I'm going out again this Sunday and I will most likely be doing the following after the skirmish:

• Trigger box epoxy reinforcement
  • Rear bolt buffer mod, probably going to use some foam
  • Hammer buffer using foam
  • Eventually a RA-Tech steel trigger set

Sounds good?

Edited by ST19AG_WGreymon
  • Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

Don't use closed cell foam to buffer anything as it collapses easily enough which renders it useless. Tyre interior rubber works great for buffering the hammer (never wore mine out) and a plain white rubber eraser works as a speed buffer for the bolt. Never wore one out either but I changed mine to polyurethane eventually (one of those stick-on bumper pads from the hardware) as it gives a slightly higher rof boost.

Hi guys, guess I'm gonna post my personal experience with the platform.. 

We own 4 WE AKs in our team, all of them 74UNs (one of them converted into a RPK with a HPA-powered drum)

Strangely enough the hammer did not break in any of them, it was always the firing pin the first to snap. All 4 had the right tab of the firing pin cracked at ~3000 rounds. 

We installed reinforced trigger units as they broke... used Ra-Tech in the first one, but it was such a PITA to fit that we went for Hephaestus in the others. The first Hephaestus kit, probably from the first batch, had machining marks all over the place, a not-so-clear trigger break point, and now it shows the typical hammer head separation. The newest ones came nicely polished, have much, much better feel on the break-reset cycles, and have so far withstand without any problems. So I believe Hephaestus must have fixed their *suitcase* lol 

One of the guns also has the FCG housing cracked right above the channel where the right wing of the firing pin slides in, but it doesn't seem to affect performance. 

Other than that, one hammer spring snapped in the RPK, and somehow I managed to snap other 3 by placing them the wrong way around like a extreme retard. Also the firing pin return spring got deformed in one of them, but it was easily fixed with some pliers. 

No other internal nor external issues whatsoever, except of course the typical break in the tab that holds the inner magazine to the outer shells in pretty much all of our mags. Some of them even came out of the box like that. 

As for the upgrades, we have found that Maple Leaf Autobot buckings, combined with ML concave nub (must be set in place by opening the chamber, they won't drop in from above) and ML inner barrels provides oustanding accuracy and range. Really, performance is out of this world, with the AKs reaching 70m and the RPK 80m. That's a ful auto, support weapon capable of outreaching mosts snipers. 100% awesome.
The buckings really grip the nozzle and prevent premature separation, which is typical with the stock buckings and causes inconsistency.. now they are almost down to AEG-like consistency (+/-3FPS). This little upgrade also fixed the horrendous inconsistency in the WE SVD. 

Overall I'm really satisfied with the platform. It's a great performer and <50USD in upgrades gets them to sniper range. Really hope WE releases some other models with steel FCG out of the box, having "mandatory" upgrades really grind my gears.

http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152209273-G74A-GBBR-subcarbine-replica.html?product=1152209273
Cheap copy from the Well. One of my friend have this one, it is looks to be the same as the WE AKs74UN is. It has the following steel parts: receiver, front-set holder, stock, dust cover, hammer, sear, fire-pin. The lower has an addictional buffer. The first test, results seem to be good. The build quality is much better as the Army's G36 copy has - much, much better....

Any idea if the mags are compatible with WE AKs?

Edited by Dimitri MdP

I have 4 of these, two side folders and two full stock - at the moment I have them set up as an AKSU with wood and bakelite, an FSB style AK105 with rails up the wazzoo, an AIMS with the folding stock and wooden donkey *rickroll* foregrip, and an AK74m with ZENIT everything.

All of them have upgraded trigger sets - 3x HP and 1x RAT and they all work fine, all are super accurate and generally awesome.

I just really want to get another full stock one and convert it into an RPK74 with an HPA drum. It would be so much fun to put the *suitcases* up the enemy with the ludicrous noise these things make on full auto.

I just really want to get another full stock one and convert it into an RPK74 with an HPA drum. It would be so much fun to put the *suitcases* up the enemy with the ludicrous noise these things make on full auto.

You said it. Our "WE" RPK is the only gun I've seen that really keeps enemy heads down. There's something in that noise that affects them psychologically. 

Why not go for the clasic 7.62x39mm RPK instead of the RPK-74? The drum mag would be more correct (there are not such thing as 5.45x39mm drum mags), and the conversion should be easier as you can use the WE PMC gas block, front sight, etc..

You said it. Our "WE" RPK is the only gun I've seen that really keeps enemy heads down. There's something in that noise that affects them psychologically. 

Why not go for the clasic 7.62x39mm RPK instead of the RPK-74? The drum mag would be more correct (there are not such thing as 5.45x39mm drum mags), and the conversion should be easier as you can use the WE PMC gas block, front sight, etc..

I could do but I prefer the look of the 74. I know the drum isn't kosher but I can just pretend it's a special caliber conversion...

What does it thread into?

from the position, I'm pretty sure it threads into the same place in the inner magazine as the traditional ones, only this time it grabs the metal retainer instead of that crappy plastic tab in the outer shell. That was a fairly common DIY mod, if those mags are brand new it might mean once again that WE listened and finally fixed their sh*t

Edited by Dimitri MdP
  • Like 1

DarkLite I thought you meant buying a magazine, but you actually went for the whole gun :D  And apparently the last one in stock, as now it doesn't appear anymore on search results and the previous links return a 404 error.

Thank you so much man, I'm really looking forward for that review and comparison.

---------------

Renegadecow I know the feeling. I've had the opportunity to compare the weight of a fully loaded WE AKS-74UN magazine to a loaded real AK74 magazine, and the weight difference was only 20 grams... with the WE being the heavier. The AEG one was only 1/6th of their weight. 

I run normally run 7 mags and it does get really heavy. Still, I think I could handle 2 or 3 more. We are getting pretty restrictive ammo limits in our milsim games lately 

Edited by Dimitri MdP
  • 2 weeks later...

The real one is supposed to absorb the impact of the bolt to the rear trunnion however that leads to the rear trunnion breaking, ironically enough. The way you're supposed to tune real AKs is for the recoil spring to be stiff enough so the bolt barely touches the rear trunnion when it cycles. If it's too soft or becomes softer with use, the bolt impacts the trunnion. By putting a buffer one would think it prevents damage (cosmetic damage really between bolt and trunnion) but many buffers made are too thick which effectively short strokes the bolt leading to an even greater force delivered to the trunnion than usual.

You don't have to worry about that for airsoft as the recoil isn't nearly as strong and you're dealing with a softer zinc vs steel which on it's own is already a sort of buffer. But what it's really used for is to increase the return speed of the bolt to raise rof. Urethane pads or rubber erasers get it from stock 550rpm to near 700rpm depending on elasticity and thickness.

• Like 1

Doubled up recoil springs are only really meant to have as much spring in a small package like the Detonics Combat Master or Gen 4 Glocks. The fewer the coils (like in the conventional layout), the more work they have to take per coil which can lead to failure. What you're thinking is having a separate spring at the end as a buffer (where longest hang time of bolt is) and will work like any buffering idea out there and has been done by at least one user here. My only concern is that the extra spring is above the axis where the pushing force is located (nozzle) so will exert a rotational strain downwards on the bolt every time it hits.

• Like 2