WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

@Dimitri MdP

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not super familiar with the AK platform, and the first picture I looked at while searching for the trunnion had the sight block attached to it, which led me to believe they were one part. How easy would you say the sight block is? Should I look at a real one or one made for an AEG?

I'll see about shooting KY Airsoft or KIC a message for the 74UN outer.

For the two websites, it looks like I was actually viewing TaiwanGun. A friend sent me the link and I opened it on mobile, I didn't recognize it right away.

Forgot to list down what I have!
I've got a new RA/Maple inner barrel sitting somewhere (though it's for the MWS, not sure if that'll change anything yet), along with a plethora of the new Maple Leaf buckings I've been meaning to test out.

Even still, I swear by the Falcon VS-Z bucking paired with their inner barrels. I've got a barrel and bucking waiting already.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

Would you say it was worth it? How stable is the grip?

I didn't do a great job of the modification. I know how I could do it properly now, but hindsight is 20/20. Mine isn't very stable but if you modify the hole in the receiver to fit the adaptor it should be. I modified the adaptor to fit the hole in the receiver and that was the wrong thing to do.

Actually it'll be cheaper for him to buy a complete, albeit busted AEG. So many people there unwilling to fix something as simple as a busted gear or piston and just flog it as a boneyard piece.

I was thinking about that, and while you're right, fitment of the Dogleg might be a bit off with an AEG sight block.

Real sight blocks aren't super expensive as it is anyways.

We have modded both AEG and real RSB into our WE Aks. AEG required filling with steel epoxy between the barrel and the RSB (as the inner diameter was too wide), then machining the groove.The real RSB required the groove and some filing here and there to make everything perfect fit.

So you'd say a real RSB is easier to fit? Also, what is the groove you're referring to? 

So, I've been talking with W&S Airsoft, the company which made those really nice external kits.

Apparently the WE steel trigger set was something set-up by WE Tech (not WE Model) with some other OEM. (No real surprise here.) So, still not WE, though some other unknown company... not RA-tech though.

There was also apparently a small release of Co2 magazines only sold in Taiwan around two years ago...

Edit:

Also found this. Picture is from a now gone website named Gbbnews.eu sometime in 2012, though I was still able to find it on Google Images.

http://imgur.com/a/PHjlJ

Edited by Wooly_Booly

dafuq I've never seen a spring guide needed to be replaced.

Spring guide:  Having seen mine, and other skirmishers spring guides destroy themselves I will leave you with my comment.  replace with a Steel RAtech and not only will it cycle better it will not break.

And the gas discharge when inserting the magazine only happens if you run out of gas and try to get a new one without cocking the gun. That way (and that way only) the firing pin will be in the down (not "out of rounds") and non-retracted (as it retracts each time the gun is cocked, either by the user or the action) position

Normal operation won't discharge gas at all when inserting a magazine. Never seen them discharge when releasing a magazine, that's just mechanically impossible.

Gas discharge:  No its not due to any of those issues.  It is due to the exposed magazine gas release valve hitting the trigger box just before the firing pin, during the insertion process  I have cut a channel out to allow the gas nozzle to be inserted without getting in the way.  Simple fix.  

Obviously you have not had enough experience with this platform.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

Honestly, I haven't had either of those issues. More than curious to know which part of the recoil spring guide fails. Mine was out of alignment from the start causing it to bind against the bolt but easily remedied with a sheet metal spacer but I didn't see it happening on other AKs I've come across. For the gas release, only really happened to me when it was new. If I don't seat the front lip properly, rocking the mag back causes the valve to hit the mag release which results in a small poof of gas.

I'm terrible at inserting magazines in my WE AK but I have never had any gas spill out when I insert magazines, even when getting the lip wrong (in which case it doesn't go in, dog dammit :D ).

Also what happens with the recoil spring guide, and I never seen a RA Tech spring guide kit? :o

EDIT: Oh, is this it ?

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ra-tech-dynamic-spring-system-for-we-ak-gbb-cnc-steel.html#.V-y5diF94uU

So it's the recoil spring guide holder, not the actual spring and spring guide?

So if the CO2 magazines really were released in a limited batch in Taiwan 2 years ago, and never got further, one would assume they didn't work very well?

Edited by NonEx

I've seen the recoil spring guide holder/receiver cover latch break, but not the guide itself.

As for the small poof of gas on reloading thing I've only ever done it when I messed up a reload and hit the valve on the mag release.

However I've seen that happen on GHKs too.

Obviously you have not had enough experience with this platform.

5 WE AKs in our team, 4 of them being the one and only gun used by the operator, 4 years of use, a gazillion rounds through each of them. And none of them has ever had those issues.

If you get gas discharge, you just don't know how to use your gun.

• Like 1

Fight!! Fight!! Right lads no kicks to the groin and no pulling hair or eye pokes. But seriously it happened with one of my Vectors once but only when it was brand new, the valve knocker was a bit stiff. Never happened with my ak74, even though the mags are a pain to install under stress situations.

Edited by icolater
  • Like 1

So the parts from Wii-tech arrived. 1 day for order processing and 6 days from China to the East Coast. I got the sight rail, the firing pin sear, and full auto sear. The parts came really well packaged, individual bags for each part, bagged again, and then a hard plastic transparent "Wii Tech" card stapled to enclose the goods. The internal parts were well oiled and each was stamped "WT".

IMG_20160929_160125_zpsgbgxctcf.jpg

The rear sight uses two allen keys and clamps onto the rear sight via the two divots cut into the bottom of the rear sight on both sides. The fit was really nice, the locking portion is actually flush with the body of the sight rail, the dark area around it is oil.

IMG_20160929_160523_zpsv4bbjnf2.jpg

The rail block is cut so you can still utilize the iron sights.

IMG_20160929_160629_zpsk1omw8ej.jpg

I didn't take any pics of the firing pin sear because it was machined perfectly! Fit just like the stock one.

The full auto sear had some differences, however it fit right in just like the stock part. Don't mind the big blob of oil on the Wii Tech part.

IMG_20160929_161657_zpskdq9a1g7.jpg

IMG_20160929_161713_zpskcllxqtl.jpg

I ran a couple of mags through it using both full-auto and semi-auto. Everything works perfect.

Edited by ST19AG_WGreymon
  • Like 1

5 WE AKs in our team, 4 of them being the one and only gun used by the operator, 4 years of use, a gazillion rounds through each of them. And none of them has ever had those issues.

If you get gas discharge, you just don't know how to use your gun.

You just haven't fixed enough of them yet.  

Pretty much every WE AK that has come in to the shops had a spring guide problem, particularly the AKS74UN.  

There are two issues; the area where the steel plate screw and the latch breaking which results in the spring guide not staying in position, and the spring guide is not in alignment, which prevents the gun from cycling.  Please refer to the posts earlier on this thread which others have mentioned these issues.  

These issues are well documented right here in this thread.

As for the gas discharge, a well designed rifle should not EVEN have a chance to vent gas when loading a mag.  Its called poor design, not user error.  Again well documented in this thread.

People like you put up with the poor design as you have spent so much time and effort making it work on the platform you cannot keep a neutral perspective, much like the inokatsu users who spend thousands to keep their models running and defending how great it is.  I am not here to pick a fight with bone heads.  I am here to mention the issues so someone else don't have to go through trouble to fix them.

I have had both the GHK and the WE, and I still stand by the WE.  If someone sees an issue and you don't see them, then why don't you do some reading before opening your trap?

Edited by 3vi1-D4n