WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

dude, I'm a GBB tech myself. I've seen and fixed dozens of WE AKs, as well as GHKS. And none of them had any issue whatsoever with the recoil spring guide. That issue is simply non-existent, and in no way a mandatory replacement. Not even RA-Tech sells their stuff as a reinforcement, but as an adaptable RoF booster (I'm assuming you're talking about the recoil spring guide base, as there is no aftermarket recoil spring guide to begin with)

Can it get broken? sure thing. Every single piece has the potential to fail. But it's miles apart from "Recoil spring guide (base) must be replaced " as you claimed, or as the FCG is

As for the gas issue, I did myself accused WE of some poor design just two posts before (the right prong of the firing pin and the channel it rides on). So accusing me of not being able to see that is, at least, quite ironic. 

But the gas release is not bad design at all, it's 100% user error. I prefer a system that can puff some gas if (AND ONLY IF) you have horrendous technique inserting the mag, than GHK AK system that simply FAILS to provide the realistic "dlick" when empty, as for me GBBs are all about realistic operation. 5 minutes of practice fixes your WE "issue", no amount of practice will ever provide a click in a system that is designed to just lock the hammer as GHK's.

Really we can have different opinions in some things, but you're just positioning yourself as the owner of the one and only Truth, and accusing of inexperience everyone who disagrees. There's no need to be that disrespectful, and it only works against your arguments.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

On a completely different note--

I have horrible full auto on my sample, and it is coincedent with the installation of the Hephaestus steel trigger kit.  I can not say for certain that the kit caused it, but apparently this is a somewhat known issue of incorrect mechanical timing or interaction that can be corrected by filing a certain part.

This was mentioned a few pages back...

Any illumination--and especially pictures--would be very welcome :D :D :D

• Like 1

I didn't remember seeing a definite fix for that, hopefully you'll find your answer though! I've got my Wii Tech sear coming in soon, and it didn't appear to be as aggressively curved as the other sets on the market. With ST19AG_WGreymon's parts fitting perfectly with the stock parts, hopefully the sear will be the same.

Anyways, I've got the Wii Tech sear auto sear, sear, type C trigger and fire pin locker which should arrive around next week.

The Texas Weapon Systems gen 3 handguard is out of stock pretty much everywhere, though it seems it was only released a few months ago. I sent them a message asking when they think they should restock. I did manage to get the gen 3 Dog Leg dust cover though, so we'll see how that fits.

Snagged an Ergo grips rubberized AK grip, which should be pretty easy to fit.

Last thing I grabbed was an LCT AK 100 series style sight block.

Looking forward to building it all :)

I'd hope they look into making a valve knocker, as that and the hammer are the really weak points of the system.

And a firing pin, which is the weakest part of the system imho. Should be obvious anyway, if they develop a steel hammer it should be paired with a still firing pin, or it will snap at the third shot.

Valve locker is quite weak too, but I've seen it keep working without problem even when cracked in 3 separate pieces :P

Not sure why would anyone want an aluminum loading nozzle, the OEM plastic one never fails.

Edited by Dimitri MdP

The firing pin breaks because of an issue in the manufacture of the trigger housing.  If you look closely at the firing pin while hammer is down one side goes forward more than the other side.  You can make the stock firing pin lasts for quite a while longer if you dremel that down to the same level.

I have seen the plastic nozzle fail also, but it is a combinational issue of misfeeds and overloading.  The feeder guide are prone to this issue.  Most have been working excess of 10k rounds no issues.

I have seen the small nozzle/bolt retention screws bend from the excessive recoil it induces.

My gun came with a broken nozzle where the strips the bb from the mag, though I got it and four mags for less than $100 so I can't really complain. I'm not super keen on aluminum nozzles, though I might check it out eventually, depends on how well it looks. Hopefully we can sway them to produce more parts, especially a valve knocker. If not, the "WE" steel parts may fit well with it, I'm not sure yet.

Anyways, an update on my build. 

Wii tech parts haven't arrived, so I haven't done much internally.

I ordered an Ergo grip which fit wonderfully. The screw it came with was the same threading as the stock screw, though the grip still wobbles a bit because I don't have any of those support pins in place.

TWS haven't produce many of their Gen 3 fore ends, so I'm waiting for them to restock. I did manage to get their Gen 3 dust cover however. The dust cover, even with it's adjustment piece was too short, which unfortunately means that the WE AK bodies are AEG spec, or close to it. Instead of giving up, I took to filing at the rear trunnion, taking off just about 5mm. Gun still functions, though the dust cover has a bit of up and down play on the recoil spring guide bloc. Luckily it came with a custom guide block, as well as a more traditional wire style spring guide. I'm considering getting a front portion, and seeing how well it works compared to the WE style guide. I'm unfortunately stuck with a gap, noticeable on the very front of the receiver, and especially when the selector is put on safe. A friend suggested putting on a real selector, which could possibly close the noticeable gap a bit more. Only other thing is that I've got a bit of cleanup work to do on the receiver where I filed it, though that's a non-issue.

Also, does anyone have any recoil spring suggestions? I'd like to grab a stronger spring which is weak enough to allow standard blowback, though I'd also like it to be strong enough to avoid it from hitting the rear of the trunnion.

http://imgur.com/a/SNKOy

Edited by Wooly_Booly

Also, does anyone have any recoil spring suggestions? I'd like to grab a stronger spring which is weak enough to allow standard blowback, though I'd also like it to be strong enough to avoid it from hitting the rear of the trunnion.

I don't know why would you want that, but a spring buffer like FG-Airsoft's or Team GBB's might be a good alternative for it. Trying to achieve it with the recoil spring only will require a complex irregular spring, if possible at all. 

I don't know why would you want that, but a spring buffer like FG-Airsoft's or Team GBB's might be a good alternative for it. Trying to achieve it with the recoil spring only will require a complex irregular spring, if possible at all. 

I'm planning on trying those eventually, I just want to avoid any unnecessary impactor force being transferred to the rear trunnion considering I thinned it quite a bit. The "wall" portion the recoil spring guide block sits into is around 2mm thick now. Not super bad considering the steel is quite durable (took me quite a few hours to take it down that far), but I want to avoid causing any damage to it. 

Might be a non-issue, though still something I'd rather not have happen.

Edited by Wooly_Booly

If it's just the length of the dust cover, maybe consider Grim's approach with his GHKs and real steel covers. He purposely shortens the cover just a touch so that it fits forward of the lip on the rear trunnion.

Shortening it wouldn't be possible with the design, and even then the receiver is just too long for the dust cover. The cover connects to the hinge with two screws. I removed one of them to lengthen it, and even then it wasn't enough.

Lemme upload another picture.

Edit: Here we go. http://imgur.com/a/SNKOy

Edited by Wooly_Booly
  • 2 weeks later...

With my friend we ordered a few from them - Well G74A.

It came with CO2 magazine, it has steel receiver, dust cover, trigger guard, fire selector, stock and few FCG parts also made from steel.

The hammer, firing pin, sear made from steel, the other parts made from zamak (as the stock WE). The nozzle spring is really weak and the gun often comes with damaged nozzle spring. The magazine is using CO2 and it is much better designed as the stock WE - with double o-ring design, the valve-pin sit in an o-ring and the valve-pin centered by a copper part and an o-ring.

With this pricetag I think is worth of it. If you buy two than you also saved a lot money and it has half-steel FCG parts. You need to take appart the gun, replace the nozzle spring, hopup rubber and reassembly it - and I also recommend the addictional buffer to reach short-stroke or using buffer spring with full travel stock configuration.

That is why I would like to asking which parts are steel on WE AKs74u (externally)?

- Sight-block

- front sight assembly

- recoil spring guide block

• Like 3

Thank you so much for the info.  Looks like the most important parts in the FCG are upgraded then :) 

That is why I would like to asking which parts are steel on WE AKs74u (externally)?

- Sight-block

- front sight assembly

- recoil spring guide block

None of the above. 

WE AK74UN external steel parts are the exact same you listed for the Well + the outer barrel and the booster (muzzle device). 

Is the hop unit WE style? wheel type with VSR-type bucking and inner barrel?