WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

So, some more thoughts on the WELL clone:

Works well enough with a few mods:

1) Put an Oring between the gas piston and bolt carrier to stop it from coming loose and to get it to align better

2) Replaced the hop-up rubber with one that wasn't awful

3) Replaced the return spring for the nozzle

4) Used WE magazines

I'm hoping the co2 magazines come back in stock at some point, I'd love to pick some up for my WELL AKs.

Also, WE has yet to make Co2 magazines and I have access to a machine shop. Methinks I might have to get schwifty.

• Like 1

Which type of barrel window does it have? 

Old-type WE/VSR cut. The WE replaced the barrel cut to a shortened version but WELL used the first design.

We have few problems with WELL AKs. One of them broke at the stock-receiver contact part - one from 15 pieces. The other thing is the rivets - check them, they often not placed in correctly.

14876652_1351296318236483_78035335712481

14918867_1351296314903150_22322481133305

Edited by Batmause
  • Like 3

The whole part broke around the rivets. This one needs a new receiver because the WE sell it together only.

- We measured big differences between the AKs with my chrono. Some shoot around 440 FPS, some shoot around 410 FPS and some shoot around 370-380 FPS.

- Mine came with broken auto-sear spring.

- The trigger box (chasing) fixed by one addictional screw under the pistol grip. WE don't have this screw.

- The inner parts has a lot filing (out-of-box).

- The used hopup rubber is better as WE but it is also really poor-quality rubber.

- The nozzle spring is always break appart or deformate really fastly - 12 pieces from 15?

- The gas-piston is hardly-filed down. They filed it down because the plastic part in the upper handguard sometimes catch the gas-piston if the bolt is in rear position - you feel that the bolt stuckes.

- The spring guide is much more simple. There isnot screw or anything else on the end of spring guide. The spring guide also "free", it comes with solid end (without screw).

- The Well mags seems to be ok, sometimes they're leaking slowly - with o-ring replacement you can solve the problem.

- The Well mag's inner shell has a lot wooble in the outer shell.

There is few photos about the internals:

FCG box: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

The handguard cap is extremely tight.

DIY short-stroked spring guide 1.

DIY short-stroked spring guide 2.

More infos what I forgot to wrote down:

- It works with WE GG mags without any problems.

- I tried it with Modify TAN VSR-type hopup rubber, it works really great!

- We made our own nozzle-spring.

- Cleaned receiver before chemical coating (heat treatment).

- After the succesfull short-stroke or added spring on spring guide, which contacted by bolt carrier, it works much more better.

Edited by Batmause

Thanks for the detailed info on the Well AK :D

Looks like a replacement of the whole nozzle assembly for a WE, bucking (and probably inner barrel) will turn those into decently skirmishable guns. 

My only real concern is that real trunnion snapping. Probably that short stroke spring will also help reduce the impact?

One thing from the pics... that spring seems to be missing the shorter leg. Is that full auto disconnector working properly?

14753834_1424557334240531_25295307601685

how???

Edited by Dimitri MdP

AWESOME. 100% pure win. 

I just need to adapt the WE hop-up chamber to the Cyma barrel. I have a WE AK PMC barrel and piston on the way, I may be able to use the PMC barrel instead.

hmm what if you thread your  WE outer barrel, and use part of the 74M barrel as an extension? the coupling will stay hidden inside the handguard, and you keep the perfect fit in the chamber with the WE barrel and perfect fit of the handguard, front sight, etc with the CYMA part

Edited by Dimitri MdP

AWESOME. 100% pure win.

hmm what if you thread your WE outer barrel, and use part of the 74M barrel as an extension? the coupling will stay hidden inside the handguard, and you keep the perfect fit in the chamber with the WE barrel and perfect fit of the handguard, front sight, etc with the CYMA part

That's actually a good idea. I'll look into it. Thank you! :) Edited by ST19AG_WGreymon
  • Like 1

Thanks for the detailed info on the Well AK :D

Looks like a replacement of the whole nozzle assembly for a WE, bucking (and probably inner barrel) will turn those into decently skirmishable guns. 

My only real concern is that real trunnion snapping. Probably that short stroke spring will also help reduce the impact?

One thing from the pics... that spring seems to be missing the shorter leg. Is that full auto disconnector working properly?

how???

Welcome!

The stock nozzle seems to be good, don't replace it without any reason.

For getting a skirmishable gun?

- replace hopup rubber

- replace nozzle-spring

- take appart the whole gun and reassembly it

- check the rivets!

- add a buffer-spring to reach better gas effeciency

- check the internal spring - are there some broken spring?

We made our own spring by ordering them from a local spring-manufacturer.

That spring is broken - I wrote down in the previous posts few times.

• Like 1

Since the spring on it's own is really hard to find (hope my local spring manufacturers were as good willed as yours), and that floating valve looks horrendous (probably the origin of FPS difference between guns), I was thinking a whole nozzle assembly would be a safe bet.

- add a buffer-spring to reach better gas effeciency

A buffer spring will short stroke the bolt, accelerating the bolt cycle and making cooldown less noticeable. But the real gas efficiency is exactly the same. Gas flow is controlled by the firing pin, which resets (stopping gas flow) when the bolt cycle cocks the hammer.

why don't you just thread the 74U barrel instead? the front sight is a pot metal piece, and probably the weakest point in the whole WE AK.. and it's designed to hold a muzzle device, not a long barrel.

Why go with WE barrel --> front sight thread -- > CYMA barrel when you can just go barrel to barrel and have a much more positive lock?