WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

Did suggest to remove the middle section as it appears the linkage of top and bottom are the same. Haven't had the chance to try it out for myself though.

nope, both the upper and lower thirds are the "female" type, while the central third has both male endings.  Furthermore, the wall dimensions are different, so not even machining a "sex change" on one of them will make it work together :P 

When making drum magazines for my WE RPK, I've spend A LOT  of time and money on machinists that failed time and time again to make such arrangements, so I ended up just going the hobo way and used the upper third only, closing it at the base with a good thick chunck of steel epoxy. Surprisingly enough, it was tested up to the max of my low pressure regulator (180PSI) and it holds without problems. 

So to make proper AS VAL mags, I would just use the upper two thirds, even cutting part of the middle one if necessary, then close it at the base with steel epoxy. But that's me. I do stupid irresponsible mods to my guns. So feel free to follow, just know that it might not actually hold the pressure and send a good chunk of steel epoxy flying towards your face. What I'm trying to say: do it entirely at your own risk.  I'm not responsible if you follow stupid advice from someone on the internet :P

Well done :)

Haha, thank you very much. I will post a shooting test with this one. With CO2 magazine it is working like a beast! :o

Now that's a whole new level of EPIC. Outstanding work!

Maybe you can convert the magazines by discarding the lower third of the internal tank, so it'll look much more convincing.

Which is the base gun btw? LCT?

We used a chinese AS VAL AEG and a WELL G74A - that is why I laughed a lot "well done". :D

All the parts custom made, there isn't one part which we keep in the stock condition - my colleague spend over 60 hours to design and make this gun.

• Like 1

Haha, thank you very much. I will post a shooting test with this one. With CO2 magazine it is working like a beast! :o

We used a chinese AS VAL AEG and a WELL G74A - that is why I laughed a lot "well done". :D

All the parts custom made, there isn't one part which we keep in the stock condition - my colleague spend over 60 hours to design and make this gun.

Looks like I might be buying another custom from you guys then. 

Why isn't there a WE AS VAL yet

Because people get really nuts about the internal "realism", and the VSS / VAL is a striker fired weapon as opposed to hammer fired, which prevents the use of regular GBBR mechanics as the striker would be in the way of the nozzle and blowback unit.

I've been designing an alternative approach, with the striker acting as a piston and cylinder setup, so the bb propulsion was pretty much as a springer, while the bolt reset was taking care of by the GBB part. 

I was sure I had a similar post here at Arnies from where most of the collaborations came from, but I cannot seem to find it... Anyway, I sort-of, kind-of tried the concept and it worked quite well, the gas was able to compress the springs using the gas piston without issues, which was the biggest concern. But I couldn't find a way to get the NPO VSS replica into my country, nor I had the funds for it, so the project is on hold. 

Perhaps take a look at the Mini UZI.  Striker fired.

I am aware there isn't much room on an AS VAL bolt carrier for a striker spring assembly, the springer/GBB concept may work but still has the same issue, which is the added complexity of a blowback unit, beside the striker assembly.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

Yes, the white thing is magnet. :P

The build quality is much better as before, we saw good quality improvements from the first batches, looks like WELL learnt some things about the quality control. I can told this changes after we use to have over 20 pieces of them - because our Groza builds, now we are making complete guns for the european customers. :)

- The 74-like guns has much better rear trunnion because it has another hinge for the stock connection.

- The magazines much, much better. Before this series there was 7 leaking mags from 10, now 6 good from 6 mags.

- Sadly they mixed the parts, the stock, front sight and gas block isn't AK74-like.

- The front sight is...never mind, see the following picture, a bit miss-aligned.

- They mixed the AEG and GBBR/real dimensions...

26240140_1691296780934453_24672827581292

Edited by Batmause
  • Like 2