WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

WE AK74:  If it uses an old Marui style rear sight block/integrated gas tube, Does that mean the bolt carrier does not have a gas piston at all?  Or the upper tube allows enough space to allow a faux gas piston through?

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

Sounds louder than the real thing :P

Yes, I really like this. :D But at this moment I think that we won't do it anymore, it is really suck to build again - easier if we cut a complete receiver for this.

At this moment I found a european collector who want to buy this - that means we can make more OTs-14s in the new batch. 

WE AK74:  If it uses an old Marui style rear sight block/integrated gas tube, Does that mean the bolt carrier does not have a gas piston at all?  Or the upper tube allows enough space to allow a faux gas piston through?

Nope, the bolt carrier has a gas piston but it much smaller as before. Imagine a simple gas piston with only wider part of it - cutted where it start to be skinny or what I told this.

The actual mags on TWG are modified from the previous batch.

I found that

- they didn't leak ouf of box.

- the feeding lips are much better as before - they hold the BBs inside now and easier to load them.

- there was a issue with the cartridge percer part, next to this part the gas often leak because it cracks, now they are a little bit better.

- they cooldown a bit faster.

I haven't time to check about how they changed in size. Maybe there was few small changes also because the gun's bolt carrier group changed also. The nozzle, bolt carrier has few little changes, also the recoil spring guide and plastic buffer changed. The built quality changed a lot, mostly at the rivets and at the rear trunnion. For this price I can buy 3 of well ak so they start to beat the WE I think...  :huh:

For this price I can buy 3 of well ak so they start to beat the WE I think...  :huh:

I'm confused, are you referring to the replicas or the mags there?

The Well is at 180-200USD, while WE's is 320, but can be regularly bought at $230. To me it's still worth the extre cash, without a doubt. 

-----

Do the new mags still weigh a ton?

My bolt carrier finally bit the dust. After 5 years and well over 20k rounds (might be closer to 30k) through, a $30 replacement isn't too bad. It actually still shoots fine with the broken off guide lug but I've seen nozzles eventually break because of this as it has only one stopper left on the other side adding $20 to the repair bill.

QM9PAW6.jpg

edit: forgot to mention I've noticed the guide lugs bowing out progressively in the past which leads to becoming a tighter and tighter fit in the receiver. When that happens I'd either file them down just a bit or bend them back in with a bench vice.

Edited by renegadecow
  • Like 2

My bolt carrier finally bit the dust. After 5 years and well over 20k rounds (might be closer to 30k) through, a $30 replacement isn't too bad. It actually still shoots fine with the broken off guide lug but I've seen nozzles eventually break because of this as it has only one stopper left on the other side adding $20 to the repair bill.

Quite an achievement. Have you changed anything or broke anything else before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by vietnammarine

LOL plenty! This is a WE thread after all. :D

Things that broke along the way: hammer, hammer spring, trigger housing (repaired and reinforced), there's a crack on my barrel trunnion but mitigated after filing it down for a more even carrier to trunnion impact on closing. 

Things replaced: everything to make it an AK105, inner barrel, hop rubber, Hephaestus steel trigger set, Well steel hammer, DIY hammer spring, changed the spring loaded recoil buffer with a DIY urethane one.

For the new Well versions, are you getting it from Asia Airsoft?

Nope, from Taiwangun.

LOL plenty! This is a WE thread after all. :D

Things that broke along the way: hammer, hammer spring, trigger housing (repaired and reinforced), there's a crack on my barrel trunnion but mitigated after filing it down for a more even carrier to trunnion impact on closing. 

Things replaced: everything to make it an AK105, inner barrel, hop rubber, Hephaestus steel trigger set, Well steel hammer, DIY hammer spring, changed the spring loaded recoil buffer with a DIY urethane one.

Yes, it seems to be a WE - check the painting quality, WELL do better as WE do. I heard that Hepa's trigger set net the best, a Wii or a WELL is better solution.

There as a local guy who has a WELL G74A with broken rear trunnion. We collected few real AMD-65 parts and rebuilt this beauty:

27661409_1681078688614922_691332539_n.jp

Edited by Batmause

I heard that Hepa's trigger set net the best, a Wii or a WELL is better solution.

Well, Hephaestus is half the cost of WII's, and has much better quality and twice the pieces than Well's. 

So to me, it's still the best option. Even if I have to drill, thread and screw in a M3 grub screw to secure the hammer head to prevent the typical separation. 

Surface finish was ridiculously rough on the first batch, but they fixed that and come perfectly smooth since the very second batch.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I'm somewhat interested in making a gas blowback version of one of these: https://www.wgcshop.com/products?search_From=searchBrand&item=el-aimr-aeg-platinum-version&search=special&rs=searchBrand&catid=&cat=&view_choice=b

WGC also sells the AEG front https://www.wgcshop.com/products?search_From=searchBrand&item=e-l-r-outer-barrel-assembly&search=special&rs=searchBrand&catid=&cat=&view_choice=a

Anyone know how feasible this is, starting with a WE 74U? Don't have a mill or lathe, so it would be hand tools and Dremil. Thoughts?

I'm somewhat interested in making a gas blowback version of one of these: https://www.wgcshop.com/products?search_From=searchBrand&item=el-aimr-aeg-platinum-version&search=special&rs=searchBrand&catid=&cat=&view_choice=b

WGC also sells the AEG front https://www.wgcshop.com/products?search_From=searchBrand&item=e-l-r-outer-barrel-assembly&search=special&rs=searchBrand&catid=&cat=&view_choice=a

Anyone know how feasible this is, starting with a WE 74U? Don't have a mill or lathe, so it would be hand tools and Dremil. Thoughts?

It's not impossible with hand tools but it will be quite a bit of a fuss - for best results, I'd get a spare WE AKM outer barrel and chuck it on a lathe to get it cut to size to fit the E&L parts.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I solved another issue, like this. What do you think, you have also this issue - magazine empty-switch stucked in position, even the magazine is loaded?

"Today I got my own spring which I designed to solve the empty-click issue with my WE (WELL) AK GBB. I often got that the gun click like the magazine is empty but it not empty.

This issues caused by stucked empty fire switch which will be totally solved as I hope after the first successfull test. So. you need to take out the ball bearing under the empty-switch, drill two holes (one into empty-switch and one into the dryfire-switch) add my spring and you are fine. This spring will keep compression on the empty-switch but if the magazine is really empty it will lock the firing pin. Simple and perfect solution to solve this issue anymore."

we_AK_empty_mod.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1