WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

I had some free time to make a "how-to" and do the math for this mods. If you are interested, you can find my description here: CLICK
I will order few WELL G74 mags to make sure it is working in the chinese mags also but as I remember they are clearly the same - except the WELL's production quality.

Edited by Batmause
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

On 5/26/2018 at 1:38 AM, Batmause said:

Hey guys, I solved another issue, like this. What do you think, you have also this issue - magazine empty-switch stucked in position, even the magazine is loaded?

I had a few mags that were like this which I solved by shallowing out the ridge between the two detents to make it flick up/down easier. With your method it flicks down automatically with the presence of bbs loaded.

9 hours ago, renegadecow said:

Problem is with the WE spec handguard retainer. I fitted an Asura on a WE and had to grind the bottom of handguard (where it goes into the retainer) and add a filler on top (super glue + metal filings) to make the handguard level.

I think that is what I'll have to do.

12 minutes ago, Greg Head said:

I noticed that you have a Magpul MOE pistol grip fitted, did that need fitting or was it a drop in fit ?

not a drop in fit either :) the trigger guard was a bit in the way so I had to remove some material from the grip. Pretty straight forward, not that hard :) 

I just installed a new MAGPUL grip on my WE AK and other than the above, the OEM grip has tabs protruding into the lower which keeps it from twisting off center. I replicated this feature by filling up the inside slots of the MAGPUL grip with some left over MAGPUL polymer I had, drilled some holes and superglued some metal rods in place. Not exactly necessary but I felt like doing it 😛

Instead of cutting out a big hole in the front for the trigger guard I cut out a slot just wide enough for the back-end of the trigger guard to slide in to.

23 hours ago, Dj_komodo said:

not a drop in fit either :) the trigger guard was a bit in the way so I had to remove some material from the grip. Pretty straight forward, not that hard :) 

I think the Well G74 is different to the WE, I tried fitting a CAA pistol grip but it needs some work to make it fit. The trigger guard is to wide, the hole for the fixing bolt is to small to allow the grip to slide over the grip nut/spiggot, the spiggot is to long so a spacer is needed between the head of the fixing bolt and the grip. Also the Well's fixing bolt is M5 the CAA grip comes with an M6 bolt.

22 hours ago, NonEx said:

I just installed a new MAGPUL grip on my WE AK and other than the above, the OEM grip has tabs protruding into the lower which keeps it from twisting off center. I replicated this feature by filling up the inside slots of the MAGPUL grip with some left over MAGPUL polymer I had, drilled some holes and superglued some metal rods in place. Not exactly necessary but I felt like doing it 😛

Instead of cutting out a big hole in the front for the trigger guard I cut out a slot just wide enough for the back-end of the trigger guard to slide in to.

Good idea to put some metal rods in, I may try that out on mine.

Here are some pics of my mod and installation.

Cut slot in the front for trigger guard bar to go in to.

Filed down the front face surface of the bottom of the grip right under the trigger guard so it would sit flush.

Filed down the tabs on either side of the grip so they are flush with the vertical lines of the trigger guard.

Custom cut, hammer in and melted in place some spare MAGPUL polymer where the screw posts would go.

Drilled holes, super glued in screws.

Custom cut/squared up a washer for the screw that fits perfectly in the grip to also try and reduce potential twisting of the grip.

6FDz1RH.png

y2EusWV.png

YUSbfGz.png

HINqoJY.png

GAPAMmz.png

JX9oGp6.png

nmdrcu3.png

R9Pwdy2.png

• Like 1
12 hours ago, NonEx said:

Here are some pics of my mod and installation.

Cut slot in the front for trigger guard bar to go in to.

Filed down the front face surface of the bottom of the grip right under the trigger guard so it would sit flush.

Filed down the tabs on either side of the grip so they are flush with the vertical lines of the trigger guard.

Custom cut, hammer in and melted in place some spare MAGPUL polymer where the screw posts would go.

Drilled holes, super glued in screws.

Custom cut/squared up a washer for the screw that fits perfectly in the grip to also try and reduce potential twisting of the grip.

6FDz1RH.png

y2EusWV.png

YUSbfGz.png

HINqoJY.png

GAPAMmz.png

JX9oGp6.png

nmdrcu3.png

R9Pwdy2.png

You've done a good job fitting the grip, I may forget the CAA one I have & get the Magpul version. The other issue with the CAA grip is the fact that it is narrower where it meets the receiver so the cut out for the original grip location lugs is exposed. Also the recoil buffer block pokes out the bottom of the receiver by approximately 1mm, so that will need modifying to allow the grip to sit flush. 

Nonex, did you tested your MagPul shell conversion, is it fully working?
I want to order some RS magazines, like bulgarian AK74 magazines and Izmash magazines. In my company we have a CNC-machine which is able to make a cnc-program for this conversion for customer request - for example for myself first time. :)

I can cut or print more parts to make the magazines fully working. I think the feeding lips and the empty-switch mechanism not covered by the magazine shell.
How about the fitting? There is enought space for the gas tank inside the magazine shell?

I think that I will order one 7.62, 5.45 magazines for testing.

Here is the problem 😛

The gas container in the WE OEM 74 magazine goes all the way to the bottom so there's a lot of magazine that doesn't fit inside. Don't think I even bothered to check if the actual inside dimensions were compatible with or without mods.And because the magazine retention tab is at the top you would have the excess WE container sticking out the bottom of the RS one either way. 

QhLMU0l.jpg

• Like 1

Yeh, I supposed. I also though about trying to seal up the PMAG to be it's own gas chamber but that doesn't seem reasonable.

Another thing I thought about is to 3D model a custom shell based on WE internals and PMAG externals and 3D print shells that actually fit. But that might not look right so I dunno.