WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

That seems to be a common theme with RATECH parts...how pricey is the Hephaestus one? Seems like a no brainer anyway

Interesting I found some discrepancy with one of the latest hephateastus install I did they milled the trigger incorrectly so the semi-auto sear didn't fit in. The other thing was the hammer only engaged the trigger sear on one side.

Other installs didn't have these issues. Wondering if others had similar issues?

Looks like their tooling has either worn or drifted from the CAD files being CNC and all. Interesting thing though, AKMs and 74s only have the hammer engage the trigger on the left side unlike the original two sided 47. The right side is merely a rate reducer and on AKS74Us the reducer is removed.

Edited by renegadecow
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got the Hephaestus parts in my gun. While installation was pretty much a drop in fit, the selector lever was very tight so much so that it could no longer be manipulated by the index finger. I didn't think much of it until I put the bolt on. It was seizing towards the end of the stroke and after close inspection the lever had high spots on it which made contact with the bolt. It was also pinching the receiver a bit, causing the stiffness but was also adding extra friction to the bolt. I filed the two spots down to match the original part and everything went smoothly after. While I was in there I went ahead and reinforced the trigger casing with epoxy although it wasn't showing any wear and the steel hammer had the same clearance as the stock part.

I really need to stop coming into this thread. Straight after leaving I start looking at WE AK prices, it's all about that full bolt travel. Just looks so good and I keep seeing Nic Cage in Lord of War (in my head if course), playing about with a 47. Pure sex.

Edited by Habakure

Just another, although minor issue with the set I just put in. Now that I got to shoot it, it seems the valve knocker doesn't get raised as high when the magazine follower tips it on empty. What happens is the valve still gets struck only lightly so the nozzle sputters gas like a wet fart. Comical at best, but I decided to sort it out by gluing a spacer on the part under the knocker so it gets pushed up fully.

Edited by renegadecow

One last problem that just started to come up, the hammer started riding the bolt on full auto. While I couldn't measure it I'm sure it affects gas efficiency even if just a bit as the hammer would open the valve before the nozzle is fully seated against the mag gas router. Looking at the auto sear it was slightly off compared to the stock part. It had slightly more material where it met the hammer, affecting the angle in which it interfaced with it. As it was, the hammer was able to push the sear out when grease was applied though I'm not entirely sure if that really was the cause as it was functioning properly when dry. A minute with a file correcting the sear angle sorted it out and everything is back to normal again.

Edited by renegadecow

If anyone's interested I took some photos when reinforcing my trigger casing. Clean and degrease the entire trigger casing with acetone. Epoxy used was steel filled.

I used rolled up cardboard covered in scotch tape to fill in areas I don't want the epoxy to go. Lightly scratching up the surfaces to be filled also helps with adhesion. 

IMG_6423.jpgIMG_6424.jpg

Then I mixed the epoxy and gooped it on putting some pressure so it squeezes through the small gaps like under the hammer and between the hammer and valve knocker. When it's set after a few minutes you simply yank out the cardboard and clean off excess epoxy with a sharp knife. Be careful not to put too much pressure as it doesn't cure fully until 24 hours.

IMG_6425.jpg

It can be a little rough on the outside, doesn't matter, but the inside shouldn't need any cleanup at all.

IMG_6426.jpgIMG_6427.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently bought one of these used, with a RA-Tech trigger set already installed.

I fiddled about with it, and everything seemed fine.  However, when I used it in a game on Saturday, the semi-auto wouldn't work.  I pulled the trigger, and nothing would happen (hammer did not drop).

It appears to work fine in full-auto, but semi-auto is completely unresponsive.

Any ideas on what it might be?  (I'm planning on taking a more detailed look at it this evening, but since I didn't do the install of the trigger set, I haven't had any experience with taking the internals apart and putting them back together).

Thanks.

Yeah. Your selector plate is probably out of alignment internally and locking up the sear.

I had to loosen a screw on my selector inside the reciever and re-alignt it and then tighten the screw.

Open the top cover and see what's happening when you flip the selector and it should be fairly obvious if that is it.

No need to take any of the trigger assembly out or appart, just loosen screw and re-align.

Edited by NonEx

Strangely enough, when I pulled it out of the case just not, it worked a lot better. I realigned the selector like you suggested (it must have been a miniscule amount, since there didn't seem to be that much play between the selector lever and internal bit). After I did that, the problem happened once more after a few test cycles, and I haven't been able to replicate it since

Just hit the 30K mark. Not bad for a stock GBBR. All I did was Renegade's hammer buffer modification. My trigger group and bolt carrier has minor wear, though it seems to only be the finish scratching off. Steel sets might not even be necessary of this anymore. Runs like a real AK haha. My hop up wheel is lose though, keeps getting turned off by the recoil.

Glad yours fared better than mine. While my semi auto disconnector broke, the hammer was still working fine when I replaced everything with a steel set. But after observation I found the hammer being torn apart in two separate places and who knows how much longer that could have lasted. Though mine was bought new from old stock so I wouldn't have had factory reinforced parts if any were made in succeeding productions. Best thing though is that I've not had a single misfeed all this time and the only time it malfunctioned was when the broken piece from the disconnector lodged itself under the hammer and seized the gun until removed.

Edited by renegadecow

They make changes as the guinea pigs start to complain. They can be as simple as changing the metallurgical mix of a certain part to increase durability to changing its design altogether like their different generation stanag mags. Mine was stocked sometime 2011 putting it in the fresher batches when not just hammers broke.

• Like 1

Well yeah but I don't want to dry fire it. I want it to stop shooting when I am out of BBs. So what position do they need to be in then ? :o

Sorry maybe that's what you're telling me, might of missunderstood.

OK, so levers towards rear/bottom, stop on emtpy.

That would mean lever towards front / top means dry firing.

Edited by NonEx