WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

Well surprise surprise. None of the parts are a drop in fit :P

Most disappointing of all is that the handguard will not fit at all. Too long :(

Positive news is that the WE AK PMC magazine internals look like it has a good chance of goin in the RS PMAG shell :D

Stock looks possible, as does the grip.

But now my problem. Do I want a MAGPUL AK that has everything except the handguard? :o

Will see if an AK PMC barrel kit/front kit will help with that.

But then again the WE AK 74UN polymer handguard is kind of along the lines of MAGPUL style so maybe I could get away with it.

I just like the stubby front of the 74UN.

Will look into this more later tonight :o

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

Well surprise surprise. None of the parts are a drop in fit :P

Most disappointing of all is that the handguard will not fit at all. Too long :(

Positive news is that the WE AK PMC magazine internals look like it has a good chance of goin in the RS PMAG shell :D

Stock looks possible, as does the grip.

But now my problem. Do I want a MAGPUL AK that has everything except the handguard? :o

Will see if an AK PMC barrel kit/front kit will help with that.

But then again the WE AK 74UN polymer handguard is kind of along the lines of MAGPUL style so maybe I could get away with it.

I just like the stubby front of the 74UN.

Will look into this more later tonight :o

To be fair, you were told that the handguards would be way too long.

The stock's locking block may be too long and interfere with the trigger box. You could always cut the end off the trigger box which the grip screws into, as that could then be replaced with a real steel grip retainer bolt:

1590_ml.jpg

Grip will need to be modified for the non real spec trigger guard, OR you can modify the trigger guard OR you can simply bend the end of the trigger guard that interferes with the grip until it's vertical.

Handguard wise, you need to get yourself a WE AKM outer barrel, rear sight block, handguard retainer, an AK105 front sight/gasblock (LCT has threads built in, CYMA does not) and a standard style gastube (I'd reccomend CYMA).

In fact I have a few of those parts in my big box of GBB spares. Give me a PM and I'll send you some.

Hmmm... 

Yeah I know the handguard was mentioned but that was when I had photoshopped the mid size on on my mock up. I then bought the smallest AKM style version they had, but I guess that wasn't enough :P

I will build it as is for now and see how I feel about the end results. But, I will probably end up getting some PMC parts to get the handguard on there for the complete look and then hope MAGPUL release an even smaller handguard.

Interesting as always :P

I guess this is when I come to the realization that I should have just bought a complete WE AK PMC instead of just the receiver, hehe.

Can't do anything about that now though. YOLOed pretty hard on Black Friday / Cyber Monday so this will be on the backburner for a while regarding the front end :D

Edited by NonEx

Well, with the AK105 length gnu you should end up with something similar to this:

746c7783c2843e058b9881d5e8482ff7.jpg

You'll have to cut the outer barrel down but it's aluminium, not too hard to do. I've done one for myself and another for a friend of mine, no problems.

With that set up, you'll just need these additional parts:

1) WE AKM RSB
2) WE AKM handguard retainer
3) DBOYS/CYMA AK74/AKM gastube
4) DBOYS/VFC/LCT AK105 FSB/gastube

With all that you should be able to fit the handguards no problem.

Alternatively, You can try to fabricate a new gastube using the WE AKSU one as a template - it's simply a steel tube of a certain length on the WE AKSU, the upper handguard retainers are molded into the front sight block at the front and just slip over the tube at the rear. If you measured up how long it needs to be you could make one easily with some scrap tubing of the right size.

Then, use the AKSU front sight with the gastube and magpul cover set up to figure out how short the outer barrel should be cut down by, then the only thing you'd need is the WE handguard retainer. MUCH easier to do, plus super mega custom

Edited by DarkLite

That sounds great and all, only problem is I don't like that look for the forend :P

But your alternative suggestion sounds appealing. Get AK PMC outer barrel (because problem now is my barrel is to short to mount the handguard), custom cut barrel, thread it, fibble with the positioning of gasblock and retainers and then get the MAGPUL forend on that... Hmmm :D. Yah, that is a good alternative! :)

Like I said I will see how it turns out when I am done and have the OEM handguard on there...

Anyways.

I managed to fit the grip.

Now, derp that I am, I went by the good old "Make the new part look like the old part, and it will fit!". Well, I failed to notice that I could have avoided that huge gap straight into the grip behind the trigger if I hadn't done that...

Not really a deal breaker but felt kinda stupid afterwards realizing I could have avoided having that. But hell, it's an AK, as long as the parts fit and work, it's all good :D

Other than that, the MAGPUL screw was too big for the WE threading. Luckily I had spare hardware that I custom cut down. Made a custom washer too, had to cut off some of the sides of the washer for it to fit in the grip.

I want to drill holes in the top of the grip and hotglue studs/screws in there because I liked how the OEM grip had those little nubs that kept it squared against the receiver. With the screw tightened it doesn't move around but there is a little play. So yah, will check that out tomorrow.

Other than that, think I did an alright job :D

nx_we_ak_magpul_grip_installed.JPG

nx_we_ak_magpul_grip_gap.JPG

Edited by NonEx

But your alternative suggestion sounds appealing. Get AK PMC outer barrel (because problem now is my barrel is to short to mount the handguard), custom cut barrel, thread it, fibble with the positioning of gasblock and retainers and then get the MAGPUL forend on that... Hmmm :D. Yah, that is a good alternative! :)

Like I said I will see how it turns out when I am done and have the OEM handguard on there...

You wouldn't have to thread the barrel, the WE AKSU front sight has threads on it already.

You could also make an outer barrel extension to extend the current barrel a bit, either through lathing up a bit of aluminium and epoxying it on, or getting a bit of steel, welding it on and then turn it to spec on the lathe.

• Like 1

Best to have pics just to make doubly sure this time. From the looks of it what DarkLite is getting at is right: there is just about enough clearance to mount at least a 1" barrel extender in front of the AKS74U front sight/gas block to hold the lower handguard retainer. The upper handguard is out of the question unless you mount it directly on the lower like these by Tekko and cut a slot for the front sight to poke through. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/mission-first-tactical-tekko-polymer-ak-47-integrated-rail-handguard-system?a=917475

IMG_7502.jpg

edit:

. I just started to imagine what my SU would look like with a Zenit B10M mounted in the method described above.

Edited by renegadecow

I did it! :D

Stock installed. Solid as a rock, and super comfortable! :)

Must have lost about 300-500 grams vs. the old steel stock. Nice!

Surprised I still have all my fingers and did not *fruitcage* it up.

Tomorrow I will take a proper look at the handguard. To be honest, chopping it up, cutting it down, pinning and gluing it together is looking like an option at this point :P

Took some modding, in terms of the following; 

1. Had to narrow down the stock mounting part that goes in the receiver. Too wide. Original was like 38mm wide, inside of receiver is only 25mm. I quickly realized trying to sand down the steel sheets on the inside of the AK receiver was not an option. Rather mod MAGPUL polymer than steel :P
  2. Had to drill a hole in the top of the receiver trunion mount to attach the inner screw.
  3. Had to drill a hole in one of the mount washers to accommodate a smaller custom screw for the inner screw mount.

nx_we_ak_magpul_stock_installer.JPG

nx_we_ak_magpul_stock_installer_mount2.J

nx_we_ak_magpul_stock_mount1.JPG

nx_we_ak_magpul_stock_mod_parts.JPG

Edited by NonEx
  • Like 2

Haha, yeah for sure! Let's just say the bolt was not so smooth anymore after all that metal dust and MAGPUL polymer got on the rails :P

I will rinse everything off under luke warm water, clean it off with a brush and sponge and dry it off and re-lube everything :D

Getting pretty close now.

Any genius ideas on how I can make sure to sand down the two interfacing surfaces of the cut lower forend at close to perfect 90 degree angles? :o

(no machine shop or big sanding tools available :( )

EDIT: Actually turns out a friend of a friend has one of those round sanding discs bench mounted and hopefully a 90 degree plate so it should be fine :D

nx_we_ak_magpul_moe_forend_wip.png

Edited by NonEx
  • Like 1

A couple of methods that I plan to combine.

Drill holes and insert pins, superglue in place. There's enough thickness all around pretty much to insert about 6 pins.

Superglue entire joint and pins in place.

Melt inside seam together with soldering iron.

Reinforce inside seam with fiberglass epoxy resin.

Reinforce inside seam with bent to shape and super glued on heat shield that came with the handguard.

I am considering doing all of the above :P

Also, if I have to I will melt/solder iron the outside seam as well.

I don't expect it to hold up to any torture tests, but well enough that I can hold on to it at least.

Also put the cut in the front 1/3rd-ish since most force of your hand will be at the very back end.

Also, the pressure on the handguard and seam will be compressed by the installation of the front sight thingy and clamp rings.

Or did you mean aesthetically? Not much I can do about that. Just try to make the seam as clean and invisible as possible. Like I said, it's an AK, and a custom MAGPUL AK handguard at that. Can't expect it to look perfect :P

EDIT: I guess I could also get some sort of MLOK accessories to mount in the holes where the cut is to tighten it up even more if need be.

Edited by NonEx

Nah. Gonna keep it clean. To be honest, I think if I get the 90 degree angle down good enough, and superglue the seam it will barely be visible. Only reason it shows in the pic is because the joined surfaces are really derpy and wobbly right now :D

The MAGPUL polymer texture (the little bumps n stuff) make it blend together nicely.

And either way my days of custom home made derp-a-derp stippling is over. I can't do that stuff properly enough :P

Edited by NonEx